What's new

bobbydilley

Grand Master
Reaction score
I recently bought a bunch of broken Chihiro main boards to play with, and have noticed they behave differently.

3 of them do the usual green LED for 2 seconds, reboot, green LED for 2 seconds, reboot, green LED for 2 seconds then frag

1 of them frags immediately when it’s powered on.

Anyone know the difference between the two - or remember which one they had, and what fixed it?

Immediate frag sounds like issues with the baseboard or above, at least when I was playing around with things I got that when I didn't have the media board connected so I assume it's a similar reason. CPU caps replaced and clock cap removed already I assume?

Thanks for the reply - I'm using a known working baseboard + type 1 top which I've tested on a working chihiro main board so am confident everything above the main board works fine.

I've yet to do anything proper with them, 1 has the clock cap removed (the insta frag), 2 have seemingly intact clock caps and 1 has an exploded clock cap - i'll be removing those as the first port of call.

I want to be able to test the CPU caps to see if they've still got life in them (rather than just replace them even if they do work) - anyone know how to measure the caps with a multimeter?

Most of those cpu capacitors are in parallel, so you will measure the total capacitance and esr of all of them. You can temporary install one more capacitor in parallel to increase the total capacitance and lower the esr as test. Usually if they are in really bad shape the top is bulged and often they release some brownish stuff on their top side. That's a clear indication they need replacement. (Most of the time there are a number of unpopulated pcb spots on which you can solder the extra capacitor)

Following since I recently got a Chihiro unit thats fragging (2 green loops then Green/Red)

Back