What's new

k1701

Student
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been setting up a Naomi board with the piforce with netdimm for the last few weeks,I encountered visual problems with no video signal.I was able to resolve the issue (thanks to

skate323k137 for his help!)​

The system is firing up normally with no issues ,but certain buttons and joysticks are not functioning.
I searched the forum and found a post thread with similar issues, (https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...aspberry-pi-but-no-visuals.19566/#post-302433))
I used the advice in the above link attempted the following steps:

1. I accessed the test menu, used the reset data option, used the game configuration control test function.The control test registers the Player 1 joystick and buttons 1-6 and the service and test buttons l wired up to buttons
However P1, P2 start buttons Player 2 joystick and the corresponding buttons 1-6 doesnt register.Overall despite test mode registering P1 controls ,there is no response when I load up a game.Only the service and test buttons work while the game is running.

2. I checked the capcom l/O board for any obvious issues(jamma connector not fastened securely,configured to 2 player not 4 player,the board recognizes the I/O board,kick harness secured )

3. I checked with multimeter for continuity with ground wires(there was continuity with P1 controls,test and service buttons,but no continuity with P2 controls and P1 AND P2 start buttons

From what can tell:

1. I did see a suggestion in the aforemention post to change control output from analog to digital(I checked the options in the test menus to change the setting,so far I see no options for ,either its not present or I'm missing something) How do I do that?

2. I should change out the jamma harness to a new one replacing the ground daisy chain and test for continuity before I connect things up in a permanent configuration?

Thanks for any help and attention!

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. I presume you already checked 5v levels (can't recall if I mentioned that).

I would consider redoing the grounding but my 1st step with this info would be to attach a probe wire to ground at the IO and probe (ground out) one control pin on the JAMMA edge at a time. See if test mode and the game respond now. If you still have issues you probably need a new IO. If it works as expected you need to rewire or start checking microswitches one at a time.

Also make sure the Naomi itself not just the IO is in 2 player mode. The Naomi can be set to 1-4 players.

Changing digital to analog I think is just in test mode for games like zombie revenge, it shouldn't come into play on most games.

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. I presume you already checked 5v levels (can't recall if I mentioned that).

I would consider redoing the grounding but my 1st step with this info would be to attach a probe wire to ground at the IO and probe (ground out) one control pin on the JAMMA edge at a time. See if test mode and the game respond now. If you still have issues you probably need a new IO. If it works as expected you need to rewire or start checking microswitches one at a time.

Also make sure the Naomi itself not just the IO is in 2 player mode. The Naomi can be set to 1-4 players.

Changing digital to analog I think is just in test mode for games like zombie revenge, it shouldn't come into play on most games.
Hey! Thanks for the response and help again! 5v level is normal,the IO is in 2 player mode,l am testing the IO right now. I should have realised that zombie revenge is analog.Will report back when l am finished

Thanks again!

Hey skate323k137 ,just a update on my sega naomi, ln my frustration I dropped work on the naomi for a few weeks, and restarted yesterday, I tested the grounding wires as you said.You were right!,the grounds WERE the issue. I decided to just rip out the entire harness and rewire from scratch.
Everything works now buttons, joysticks!. The 6 button fighting games are registering all moves and presses.
Once again thanks so much for your advice!!

Fantastic. It always makes me smile when people follow up, enjoy!
Thanks man l will! Feels great to play naomi and atomiswave games again on original hardware. In Trinidad there are 3 (to my knowledge) dedicated arcades left.The others are amusement centers adjacent to multiplex cinemas ,with kiddie games and Raw Thrills light gun games.
The only naomi games I've seen in the remaining arcades are MVC 2 and crazy taxi.Of course neogeo mvs and capcom cps2 is still represented.

Thanks for all the help,it's been an education!

Thanks man l will! Feels great to play naomi and atomiswave games again on original hardware. In Trinidad there are 3 (to my knowledge) dedicated arcades left.The others are amusement centers adjacent to multiplex cinemas ,with kiddie games and Raw Thrills light gun games.
The only naomi games I've seen in the remaining arcades are MVC 2 and crazy taxi.Of course neogeo mvs and capcom cps2 is still represented.

Thanks for all the help,it's been an education!
Wait where can I get crazy taxi?

Back