What's new
I'm assuming this process is similar for conversion of carts on other platforms as well. I'd be interested in trying this myself to make some Kaneko and PGM conversions. The question is whether any changes need to be made to the ROMs to make it work on those platforms.

I'm assuming this process is similar for conversion of carts on other platforms as well. I'd be interested in trying this myself to make some Kaneko and PGM conversions. The question is whether any changes need to be made to the ROMs to make it work on those platforms.
Not sure about Kaneko, but the PGM conversions have at a minimum had the program ROMs modified by Joerg to work on donor carts.

Yeah, you guys are right. As long as I can play the games. What is with this purist attitude? Not like I have the tech skills and laid the groundwork so that it could be leveraged by profiteers. Let the tutorials with lots of pictures be compiled now!

They only make you memorize 50 states and Western Europe once for 2 5th grade quizzes here, and I went to privatw school. Murica!

Well, Ukrainian women are hot. They have such nice skin too.

But alrighty then, let's get back on topic! What is a good program to split these BIN files? I am ready to do the surgery on this Ninja Assault game. Fuggedabboutit.
  1. Going to get the newest CvS2 that Darksoft released, run it through the a splitter.
  2. Anything I need to do with the resulting BIN files before I split them/after I split them?
  3. What are the exact EPROM's needed for the job?
  4. They look like pretty widely spaced SMD's and even with my mediocre soldering skills, I can pull that off and do a commensurate job to Joerg :)
Only thing left is what to do with the resistors or step downs, or whatever.

I have a handful of these. Cyvern, Ketsui, and DDP DOJ. If anyone reliable wants to dump them to see what makes them tick (and also wants that information more or less public), I'm willing to ship them out to be disassembled/dumped/reassembled. Hopefully some others could come forth with EspGaluda and Sengeki Striker and we could have both systems figured out entirely.

I'm definitely interested in what's on them but my SMD soldering skills are not reliable enough to risk mucking them up.

I'm definitely interested in what's on them but my SMD soldering skills are not reliable enough to risk mucking them up.
SMD soldering is not easy and I would recommend practicing on parts boards as well as using proper equipment before attempting a conversion.

Use a hot air station to remove chips. Then use either that to solder back (harder), or solder individual pins one by one.

Same.

Offer stands though, any regular/trusted (and skilled) user is welcome to have a crack at it.

Wouldn't you guys rather see a Darksoft multi than public information on conversions which leads to many more carts being killed?

The information is out there. Vote Darksoft. 8)

Especially in the case of the Naomi, for now I think netbooting outweighs the benefits of killing a good original cart.

I completely see where Mitsurugi was coming from in the last conversion thread.

Wouldn't you guys rather see a Darksoft multi than public information on conversions which leads to many more carts being killed?
for PGM yes. for Kaneko I would be astonished if anyone ever bothered to create a multi and there are thousands of dirt cheap mahjong carts that no one cares about and only 2 games that most people DO care about on that platform.

I only want one Naomi game on cart and that is CvS2. There are times when I have trusted guests at my house that play my arcade and have to await my arrival just so I can NetBoot that game. Would love to just have them flip a switch and entertain themselves till I get there. Plus I have a Ninja Assault cart that will serve as the donor cart. That game is the "mahjong| of Naomi carts.

But no Naomi Multi for me. Wouldn't want Darksoft to be in the red on that one. So no, I'll pass. Doubt it makes sense for Darksoft to ever make one either. It would be a huge thank you to his friends on this forum if he ever does so. He'd have to make a run of 100 to bring down the COGS with his vendors. There are what, 20 people that would be willing to pay >$400 for a Darksoft Multi over a NetDimm? What would he do with the other units? He'd have to make a smaller run and charge more just to break even. Yeah, I'll pass because I have too much respect for his work and passion and feel he should be rewarded.

PGM Multi has been hinted at already and I can't wait for that one. Kaneko Mulit? Where is the user base for that? Probably best to convert those few games for that platform.

I can see that Ninja Assault PCB shaking in its boots now.

All kidding aside, there is that ethical/purist/conservation dilemma are heading into now. To avoid that, let's make sure that this discussion remains technical. Please no pictures or guides to how this is done.
Ninja Assault is made by NAMCO, they made their own PCB types so it cannot be converted.

There are what, 20 people that would be willing to pay >$400 for a Darksoft Multi over a NetDimm? What would he do with the other units? He'd have to make a smaller run and charge more just to break even. Yeah, I'll pass because I have too much respect for his work and passion and feel he should be rewarded.PGM Multi has been hinted at already and I can't wait for that one. Kaneko Mulit? Where is the user base for that? Probably best to convert those few games for that platform.
There are two kind of people interested in a Naomi Multi:

- People that doesn't have a Netdimm Setup (worst case) => >400$ Sounds reasonable, so is fine for them
- People with Naomi Setup (like me). At current market prices (eBay + Forums) I can sell my Upgraded NetDIMM, my Plug&Play rPi with LCD, one SUN PSU and one Sanwa PSU (basically new) for around 400€. So basically I get some money back when the Naomi Multi comes (which is fine for me)

There are two kind of people interested in a PGM1 Multi (I will ignore the rest of the games because they are basically crap)

- People without the Cave clones => any reasonable price is fine for them
. People with Cave clones (like me) => I can sell my Cave clones for 400€, so basically I will al least get the PGM1 Multi for free but probably I will also win money (which is fine for me)

The are two kind of people interested in a Kaneko Multi:

- People without Cyvern clones => any reasonable price is fine for them
- People with Cyvern clone (like me) => I could over 100€ for it.. so probably I'm going to lose money with this multi, this of course not Kosher (i will never sell my original Gal Panic games..) but everything will be covered with the Naomi/PGM1 revenues so Karma will be restored.

So my summary is.. I WANT a Naomi Multi + PGM1 Multi + Kaneko Multi.

Let's talk about business, 1000€ for the 3 Multis? Does that sound reasonable? Where do I transfer the money?

Last edited:
Back