What's new
Some dude on eBay is selling ikaruga carts. I’m a sucker for ikaruga and didn’t want to buy the Gdrom version but this works for me. Serial # starts with BAYE. Not sure if that is enough to tell what game it was. Hmm, just looked at my Virtua tennis cart and also starts with “BAYE”. So I don’t know.

Curiosity got the best of me so I opened it up. So 3 ics replaced, some wires and diodes, a resistor and a burned eeprom.
What a terrible job. Two diodes in series to drop the voltage, no level shifters on busses... :/

that soldering looks like shit,
transformer wire instead of kynar,
and hotglue - i hate hotglue!!!

and he couldnt even be bothered to remove the unused roms!

I actually thought it looked a bit better than pictures I saw earlier in this thread.

ooh-ouch-rush-me-to-the-burn-unit-meme-1.png

Greetings! This is my first post here. I want a slim mahjong setup so I want to run Usagi off a Cart instead of the GD-Rom.
Does anybody know anybody who is taking custom jobs like this? I reached out to joerg but he didn't respond.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Guys can you help me with a Kenju (AW) conversion? I'm using the modified rom for netboot on a 171-7919A board, 1 AM1117 3.3V regulator an 15x 26L6420, all splitted with the python program created by @twistedsymphony . It's booting up but after the naomi splash intro it's just a black screen.
Is there something you need to do with IC22? Or worst, are these atomis games convertable for carts? I don't know what to do... attached the IC22 i have used

Attachments

• _IC22.zip
    404.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I tryed with another game (Spikers Battle) and again... black screen after the "loading game 15K". I'm still using the netboot image. There's no leftover in the ic22.
In the test menu IC's are 17 but my split came up with 21 and they all look filled with stuff and not FF 00 o yyyy
I have used two 3.3V regulator to rule out power issues, but it just don't work and i don't understand why

Hi everyone. New to this thread.

Two questions:

1: I have a mvc2 cart and was wondering if it was possible to reprogram the eprom on it so that you can have the characters immediately unlocked. Sometimes my MVC2 cab I don’t play in a while and I lose all the characters and it loses the code and it’s a pain to do it all over again. Would be nice to have all the characters permanently unlocked.

2: I saw 2 in 1 cart on eBay for MVC2 and CVS2. Is it possible to do 2 in 1 for CVS2 and SFZ3U? My GD rom worries me for the long run and that’s how I play CVS2. I have a SFZ3U disc but it’s also a pain to just go in the gd rom and change it. Also disc are kinda outdated and unreliable now.

Yes I have a netdimm with a raspberry pi but hardly use it. I actually have two sets and one isn’t currently working right now. I mean the netdimm is a good idea but it’s finicky and sometimes has trouble working and I don’t like having to press the raspberry pi to boot it up all the time. I rather just flip the switch on my cab and everything just boots.

Right now all I care about are 3 Naomi games: MVC2, CVS2, and SFZ3U. I like how clean and simple how the cart works and don’t really care about having every game anymore. Obviously I already have MVC2 in a cart but if I can have CVS2 and SFZ3U in a 2 in 1 cart that be great. Currently I have a cvs1 cart that can be a donor.

Hi everyone. New to this thread.

Two questions:

1: I have a mvc2 cart and was wondering if it was possible to reprogram the eprom on it so that you can have the characters immediately unlocked. Sometimes my MVC2 cab I don’t play in a while and I lose all the characters and it loses the code and it’s a pain to do it all over again. Would be nice to have all the characters permanently unlocked.
Yes. The file to burn is located here.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...pcom-2-unlocked-eprom-file.13228/#post-214192

Hi !

I just got a naomi and a virtua tennis 1 cart and I want to start playing with these new toys.
I want to use the virtua tennis cart to convert it to another game (just for learning / curiosity).
I have several question as I'm new to the naomi world :

1) What programmer do you use to reprogram the different eeproms, which adapter do you use?
I was looking for that specific product https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01212KD74/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AKVL4MRYBNW0F&psc=1. Will it be enough to dump / reflash all the ICs on the pcb?

2) What do you recommend to desolder the different ICs ?

3) If I want to use the virtua tennis PCB to convert it to another game, I will be able to use it only to convert it to a game which runs on the same pcb right ?
So according to http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/naomi/index.html, I can use it to convert it to games running on 171-7919A (cosmic smash, DOA2, Power stone 2 etc.)
What about the games whose PCB carts arte not mentioned on the document, for example if I get a cart of Akatsuki, how do I know to which other games I can convert it?

4) in short, to make a convert of Virtua Tennis 1 to let's say "Virtua NBA", I have to desolder IC1 to IC22 and overwrite the contents to the files indicated here https://github.com/groovybits/groovymame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.c#L4294 so write the content of mpr-22928.ic1 into the IC1 eeprom and same for each .ic* file?
That's all or there is something else I'm missing?
What about the games running on GDROM, how do I know which part goes into which ICs ?

Sorry for all the questions ^^" and thanks !

thats a 40pin programmer - expensive for 40pins too.
you need a 48pin programmer,
and it has to program MX26L6420

is there a cheap 48pin programmer that supports MX26L6420 that you recommend?

Hi !

I just got a naomi and a virtua tennis 1 cart and I want to start playing with these new toys.
I want to use the virtua tennis cart to convert it to another game (just for learning / curiosity).
I have several question as I'm new to the naomi world :

1) What programmer do you use to reprogram the different eeproms, which adapter do you use?
I was looking for that specific product https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01212KD74/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AKVL4MRYBNW0F&psc=1. Will it be enough to dump / reflash all the ICs on the pcb?

2) What do you recommend to desolder the different ICs ?

3) If I want to use the virtua tennis PCB to convert it to another game, I will be able to use it only to convert it to a game which runs on the same pcb right ?
So according to http://members.iinet.net.au/~lantra9jp1_nbn/gurudumps/naomi/index.html, I can use it to convert it to games running on 171-7919A (cosmic smash, DOA2, Power stone 2 etc.)
What about the games whose PCB carts arte not mentioned on the document, for example if I get a cart of Akatsuki, how do I know to which other games I can convert it?

4) in short, to make a convert of Virtua Tennis 1 to let's say "Virtua NBA", I have to desolder IC1 to IC22 and overwrite the contents to the files indicated here https://github.com/groovybits/groovymame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/naomi.c#L4294 so write the content of mpr-22928.ic1 into the IC1 eeprom and same for each .ic* file?
That's all or there is something else I'm missing?
What about the games running on GDROM, how do I know which part goes into which ICs ?

Sorry for all the questions ^^" and thanks !
what about the other questions?

What do you use to desolder / solder the different eproms?

hot air station and a good temperature controlled iron.
preferably based on hakko T12 tips or JBC 245 tips
i think your going to trash the cartridge! :D

you need to practice removing and replacing chips on some old junk first.

I'd just like to show appreciation for the knowledge posted in this thread, it has motivated me to complete my own conversion of Virtua Striker 2 to CVS2 with great success.

I managed to keep both voltage converters on the inside of the cart by notching out a bit of the PCB around one of the center mounting pillars.

Photos of the finished product for posterity.

PXL_20221229_060240842.jpg
PXL_20221229_060224307.jpg
PXL_20221229_053617489.jpg

Last edited:
thats a 40pin programmer - expensive for 40pins too.
you need a 48pin programmer,
and it has to program MX26L6420
Hi, sorry for resurrecting the thread. If you use the MX26L6420, you need a voltage regulator because the SEGA masks work with 5V, right?

I don't know why to use a 3.3V voltage regulator, because through the cartridge slots to the motherboard there are a few 3.3V supply natural pins.

Also, with a Virtua Striker 2 cartridge you can make any Naomi 1 game?

Last edited:
I have to admit, in this case original research was made by teammate CaH4e3, who found where is DIMM firmware version result check in this game, many years ago. I've just redo patch in other way and removed check at all.

anyway, it is quite strange game was booting with black screen, it was expected to show "DIMM BD FIRMWARE DOES NOT FULFILL THE GAME SPEC." error message instead.
Sorry for asking again about an old post. Can you tell me how to patch VF4FT so that it does not check the version of the DIMM board?

Back