What's new

Bashi

Student
Reaction score
Hello, I just purchased a VF3tb board however it does not come with the cage that has the cooling fans. Does anyone know if there are some options for sufficiently cooling the board as it runs aside from the cage with fans? Thanks!

I'd probably jury rig a fan to blow cool air across the stack. I think the case fan is an exhaust, so it's probably sucking "cool" air from outside, pulling it across the stack, then out.

I seem to vaguely read that it is questionable to run Model 3 boards outside of the cage for extended periods because of cooling issues (same as old Macs of the PPC vintage), so I'd look into that as well. Maybe even just use thermal glue to bond a small fan and a heatsink onto the PPC.

Sounds good, I wonder if it would be suitible to 3d print a makeshift cage similar to the original and install fans that way as well. I would be curious to read more about people running model 3s outside of the cage as well

I think the case fan is an exhaust, so it's probably sucking "cool" air from outside, pulling it across the stack, then out.
I ended up just stumbling across one of the manuals for the game and it seems that both fans are pushing air out? I dont know a nick of anything about airflow but is this even safe in the long term?
Screenshot_20231213_071059.jpg

Ya, it looks like my memory was correct, but not correct about the number of fans! It seems to be pulling in cool(ish) air from outside, which is drawn over the board and then out through the fans. This is why it's critical to have the cage; no cage means you just have hot air circulating everywhere, and the PPC gets real hot...

I'd try to rig fans on the CPU & GPU. You can probably get away with using thermal adhesive/glue since I suspect there's not a way to physically affix them to the board, but keep in mind that stuff is incredibly difficult to remove once it has been applied.

Was luckily able to get a cage due to ken/irepairsega 👍

Back