What's new

SMD88

Student
Reaction score
I recently received a Jp WW board I bought in early 2020. It was listed as junk due to some garbage around the 1p and possibly 2p sprites.

First thing I did was take out all ROMs and give them and the board a clean with 100% IPA. When I tried it just now, the 2p sprite was fine, but my Ken sprite still had garbage through him which varied by frame. I was hoping that this is not an A board (at least not a failing custom issue) or C board issue. The boards and ROMs are IMMACULATE! There was some corrosion on some of the ROM legs, but that was it.

As for the Strider, this just gives a black screen with the stage 2 music from the electricity section playing. I have not tried this on another A board from memory, I need to try my SFII' HF C board and A board with it.

Again, the boards are immaculate and where even spotless. No dirt or dust. This was bought as a conversion, I did not make it. I did notice that the board is not a DASH A board. I thought the R versions were made for the DASH board?

Thanks for any help!

First call. Dump the EPROMs and compare against MAME to ensure they’re ok.

First call. Dump the EPROMs and compare against MAME to ensure they’re ok.
Thanks! Once my programmer arives, I will do that. May I ask which programme I need to compare the ROMs?

You bought the PCB listed as 'junk' so obviously there is a problem with it. From personal experience Strider can act strange when trying to run it on another A board. You really need another CPS1 PCB so that you can pinpoint which PCB is faulty and go from there.

You bought the PCB listed as 'junk' so obviously there is a problem with it. From personal experience Strider can act strange when trying to run it on another A board. You really need another CPS1 PCB so that you can pinpoint which PCB is faulty and go from there.
I did know there was an issue with the SFII WW board, the sprite issue was shown in the auction. I was hoping at the time that it would be a dirty ROM issue. Obviously I did not get that lucky. The game is perfect apart from the iffy P1 sprite.

As for Strider, I cannot remember if I swapped boards or not to be honest. I have plenty of CPS-I boards, maybe I was too lazy to bother with it, heh. I am pretty sure I tried the C board from my SFII' HF and it did not work. I will dump the ROMs when the programmer gets here to see if there is an issue there.

I was looking at the Strider Hiryu conversion board again. After looking at other threads for CPS-I conversions (I am doing a Daimakaimura resale conversion), I thought that the issue with Strider could be the ROM placements.

The conversion is on a 4M MASK-ROM TYPE B board (91635B) and uses 27C4000 and 27C4096 ROMs. Now, there are notes about ROMs being swapped for MASK TYPE B boards, 1 and 7 for instance. Do any other ROMs need swapping on the MASK-ROM B boards?

EDIT: My Top3100 did eventually arrive but it does not work ;( Tried for hours to get it to work with Win10, following all the directions, but always received the USB driver error when I opened tye Topall8 programme.

I also tried with XP in VirtualBox and everytime I connected the USB cable, the computer crashed. I was going to try it on a second HDD with proper XP SP3 install but in the end could not be bothered. Not after wasting 4 hours of my life yet again with the VirtualBox XP.

Attachments

• 20221220_015301.jpg
    20221220_015301.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221220_015303.jpg
    20221220_015303.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221220_015306.jpg
    20221220_015306.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221220_015308.jpg
    20221220_015308.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20221220_015253.jpg
    20221220_015253.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 52
No one has a Strider conversion on this board?

Back