What's new
So the difference between MASK and EPROM boards is the position of 2/3 and 6/7?
I have multiple SF2CE and Hyper Fighting boards, both as EPROM and MASK rom and I always wondered what the difference was... :)
And you need to use EPROMs with different pinouts.

ah ok, good to know, so as the board look identical, the traces and routing is not?

Not that I want to convert them at this point, but it is good to know I can't just swap roms from one board to the other :)

Yep I think that's the case. At any rate the silkscreen tells you what will be accepted. I got to know all about this crap intimately because when I converted mine there was a fault with one of the other chips. I took a lot of notes in a onenote and I found this:

Replacement EEPROMs for CPS1 boards.

Silkscreen:HN62414P-17, HN62404P-18 = 27C400, hn27c4000g, 27c4100
Silkscreen:HN624116P = M27C160
Silkscreen: 4M =27C040
Silkscreen: 27C301G= 27C010, CXK27C1001DQ, D27C1001A, m5m27c100k-2
Silkscreen: 1M ROM =27C1001, 27C010
Silkscreen:HN27C4096 = 27C4002, 27C4095, M5M27C402K

So I got a question for you guys. Bought a SF2 CE board off ebay, is legitimate and has mask roms and works fine. It boots up however as "Street Fighter 2' 920313 TAIWAN" and on the title screen at the bottom it says "(C) CAPCOM CO., LTD. 1992,92 DISTRIBUTED BY HUNG HSI ENTERPRISE IN TAIWAN"

I'm aware Hung Hsi are the makers of Rainbow edition and that there wasn't a Taiwan region for SF2 however it matches the World code for SF2 CE. I could pull my eprom burner out to read the program roms but I was just curious if anyone has seen this before. From what I can tell though this isn't Rainbow Edition because all of the hilarious tricks are missing.

Edit: some pics I mean this is the strangest bootleg I've ever seen

3E10Enf.jpg

B board
https://i.imgur.com/puKdUzX.jpg

Edit: so looking up Hung Hsi rom sets it appeared 22 and 23 are commonly rewritten for program so I dumped 22 and compared MD5 with all chip 22 in MAME. It appears this board is called Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (Accelerator!, bootleg)
Edit x2: so 21 matches SF2: CE world however 23 is not in mame. I've done 10 dumps of it and the checksum & MD5 have remained consistent. If someone wants to poke at it I've attached the dump of 23. MD5 is e5c2eb13d80356e0c14be3cc72b246c9 and Checksum is 01A65583

Attachments

• 23a.bin.zip
    211.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
the label on rom #23 reads S92T which usually is for the SF2HF upgrade, but roms #21 and 22 are the normal S92 SF2CE roms, so that doesn't match...

the label on rom #23 reads S92T which usually is for the SF2HF upgrade, but roms #21 and 22 are the normal S92 SF2CE roms, so that doesn't match...
This is a legitimate SF2HF USA upgrade on my other board:
jNT7jM9.jpg

And here is a legitimate SF2CE USA:
vYPC6kF.jpg

Note the trailing country code on 23. That should be J, U or E for Japan, USA and World. Mine however is S92T so it was printed by the counterfeiter

Ah ok, makes sense!
Was a little confused then, I thought from memory that my SF2HF board had T behind it for ‘turbo’.
Sorry for the miscorrect information ;)

Will check my own board to confirm :)

EDIT;
Confirmed, my own SF2HF board reads S2TJ on 21/22/23, and not S92T like I thought from memory

Last edited:
What are peoples thoughts on the price for a SF2HF dash board? Been looking for one recently but see them at $400 or so, is that right? ?(

Yeah, seen one for sale for that much here in OZ and UK. I did figure $200-250 range not $400!!!

Cant find any through YAJ, or I did see one and they wanted 120,000 Yen! LOL!

YAJ is the worst place to bid on capcom CPS1 era stuff imo. I see CE/HF boards sell on KLOV and Ebay for $150-200 usd. The ones you're finding advertised are overpriced and nobody is buying, that's why they're still online! just keep an eye out for the buy-it-nows and you'll run into a fair deal in a couple weeks, i'd bet. Not sure about who is shipping to OZ, but that's the price range I see here.

I see CE/HF boards sell on KLOV and Ebay for $150-200 usd.
I'd say that's just the price of them now.
Sure back 5~8 years ago you could still find them for 100$ (or less) complete, but then conversion fever hit.

Now I think if you see a 100$ priced board its an exception (not the rule) and if you are looking you should probably snap it up ASAP.
Only word of caution, a good share of the boards I've seen around (CE/HF) have miss-matched A-boards (10's not 12's like they should be).

what kind of A board do I have here?

Now that I have my cps2 multi up and going, I am considering maybe trying to trade this for something kind of different from it's catalog.

Attachments

• IMG_8688.JPG
    IMG_8688.JPG
    514.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_8687.JPG
    IMG_8687.JPG
    647.6 KB · Views: 173
Looks like a SF2CE with SF2HF upgrade roms.
The A board lacks the ‘dash’ sticker, so might as well be 10MHz.
Better split the boards and look at the crystal

Looks like a SF2CE with SF2HF upgrade roms.
The A board lacks the ‘dash’ sticker, so might as well be 10MHz.
Better split the boards and look at the crystal
After wrestling the screws off and the boards apart.

You are right, it is HF with a tenner A board. I got a mismatch.

@jassin000 I know you are one of our resident performance hawks. How can one measure the difference between 10 and 12. Or is it really all about the feel of stressing it under heavy play.

This could be the basis of a new project. I am open to suggestions from fellow members.
Options:
  1. try and upgrade the crystal, is this hard, a big honkin surface mount seems touch, and where does one get a 12 crystal? If the multi happens, this could set up well.
  2. try converting the b + c to one of:
    • Willow (top choice, cause compliments cpsII library best, imo)
    • Strider
    • Mercs
    • captain commando
    • final fight
    • GnG
    • The King of Dragons
    • Knights of the Round
  3. Any other ideas on where I could take this?
  4. Leave as is
  5. trade/sell for something completely different seeing as Hyper Anniversary edition on the multi gets me close enough. I'd love to add a konami belt scroller to my set up. (simpsons, tmnt IV, xmen)

Attachments

• IMG_8690.JPG
    IMG_8690.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8689.JPG
    IMG_8689.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 152
try and upgrade the crystal, is this hard, a big honkin surface mount seems touch, and where does one get a 12 crystal? I
I know it's surrounded by surface mount stuff, but the oscillator is thru-hole. I don't have my calipers handy but I bet one of these is a match: digikey. If you have a desoldering iron, it's probably just cleaning out 4 legs, pretty easy.

I'm not 100% sure just swapping the chip will just 'make it a dash', I've never done the swap or a comparison. But if it were me I'd probably just buy a true dash board separately, maybe and keep both around for the (hopefully) eventual multi. These A's seem to fail a lot, so it's nice to have a backup! Also having one of each means not having to put this one under the iron, even for something easy like swapping this out.

Not sure if it was this thread or another one on CPS1 multi potentional, but it was pointed out multiple times the only difference is the crystal.

Indeed.

Also in case you need to know the correct type to order (since there are a lot of different packages for crystals) the package type is DIP-14

Not sure if it was this thread or another one on CPS1 multi potentional, but it was pointed out multiple times the only difference is the crystal.
It's here once at least, I just haven't tried it myself.

Back