What's new
It should be an optional item. Please contact to the distributor where you bought it from.

If I have a B board that still contains a functional battery is it possible to install the multi kit and run unencrypted roms or is it necessary to remove the battery?

I installed the Darksoft kit and tried it without removing the battery using unencrypted ROMs which just showed a black screen. So, I clipped the battery and shorted exc5 which the guide recommends to clear old stored keys. Then, I turned it on again and still saw a black screen. Programmed another game and restarted the arcade and now get this.

The A & B board were working fine just an hour earlier running XMen vs Street Fighter. I triple checked all connections between the Darksoft board and daughterboard and everything is solid. All contacts on the edge connector were lightly cleaned with isoproply a day or so ago. There don't appear to be any broken pins on the multi-kit. Connecting up another game to this arcade works so I don't believe it is the arcade. I can test voltages at the edge connector again but last time I did it was within 5-5.1V at the A board. I also rewrote the unencrypted ROMs on two different micro SD cards (32Gb and 16Gb) using a confirmed set from another user here. Now that I've clipped the battery, there is no way for me to go back and install the original ROMs without getting an infinikey or something.

UbnARp4.jpg

@stringbean No expert here, but don’t panic. Almost all of the issues so far have been due to connection issues. Stay with the encrypted roms - if you have got past a black screen then it suggests things are working.
I would start reseating the A+B board and see if that changes anything.

@stringbean No expert here, but don’t panic. Almost all of the issues so far have been due to connection issues. Stay with the encrypted roms - if you have got past a black screen then it suggests things are working.
I rocked the B board back and forth up and down on the A board several times with no luck and then did it one more time for good measure and it is now working. Wow, these CPS2 connections are finnicky.

I rocked the B board back and forth up and down on the A board several times with no luck and then did it one more time for good measure and it is now working. Wow, these CPS2 connections are finnicky.
I've had similar issues almost tossed a working aboard that just needed some screws tightened because it wasn't making good contact on one connector (game played but was suffering from a washed out green hue on everything). Anyway just glad you got it working!

Should I still be able to access the test menu to configure games after the multi kit is installed?

@Segamer, yes, I've been running the decrypted ROMs. But, once I get some wires in the mail I intend to solder the key writing wires on because power cycling the board every time I flash a game is getting old.

EDIT: Or, are you saying changing the game settings without the key writing wires isn't possible?

@stringbean what does the LCD day? Did you try the troubleshooting guide?

Without that cable, the games will load but the cps2 won't reset and you'll have to power cycle manually.

@Darksoft, I'm okay power cycling the board until I can install the key writing wires. I figured out issue I was having had nothing to do with the Darksoft kit.

Been loving the CPS2 multi, but I had a question to run by you all. When running SSF2 Turbo (U), in the attract screen, there seems to be a missing tile/sprite:

ssf2 turbo.jpg

This looks normal when playing the (J) version, so it seems like a ROM issue. Reformatted the SD card to be sure and no difference. Everything else seems to run perfectly. Anybody else get this?

I've noticed that too, didn't think too much about it since it is not visible at any other point of the game or during gameplay

I think I’ve seen that too in the real arcade cabinet. Looks familiar....

I think I’ve seen that too in the real arcade cabinet. Looks familiar....
I saw that too on my CPS2 Multi but it didn't affect anything within the games so I ignored it. I have the actual CPS2 SSF2T and it does not have that little black screen.

could it be a small issue with the file in the pack, or bit rot in the mame dump? i would have figured these dumps have been verified multiple times but maybe not?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't care too much since the game plays perfectly. Just good to know that other people have seen the same thing, which means the multi is working fine.

Back