What's new

babylon5wars

Beginner
Reaction score
So...I bought this consolized CPS2 with Darksoft Multi + Digital AV + dual USB controller adapters (build in) about two years ago. Worked great at first, but had to put it in storage for about a year. Cool, but low humid and clean environment. Pulled it out just the other day and found my picture is all sorts of messed up. (see attached)

I carefully opened the unit to look for broken solder joints or any wiring damage in general. Nothing immediately stood out, other than some concerns of the over all work quality (so if there are any reputable modders out there looking for a job to help fix my unit back up and perhaps "better" the work on it, hit me up). (Main example, other than mess of wires, the digital av only seems secured in place by the chips its attached to)

Any thoughts? My initial guess is a solder issue between the chips and digital av board given that its the only securing method used for the HDMI port. I have a jamma supergun on the way so I can test the picture out on my RGB scaler to help narrow things down.

Thanks for any assistance, its greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 19
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 17
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 20
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 17
Hey I recognize you :D Looks like my suggestion didn't work. Might help if you added some pics of the pcb's and the work quality you mentioned.

Hey I recognize you :D Looks like my suggestion didn't work. Might help if you added some pics of the pcb's and the work quality you mentioned.
:D I had hope for a moment that the suggestion of removing the shells would do it, but sadly not. I'll grab some pictures of the two boards first thing in the morning.

Here are board pics. Perhaps I'm being too judgemental on the work, but I can only judge it off the other work I have seen and have received.
Again, the biggest concern is it does appear that the digital AV board is only secured by the soldered pins on the one end of the board.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 24
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 28
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 26
  • d4.jpg
    d4.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 29
  • d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 28
  • d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 27
  • d7.jpg
    d7.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 27
  • d8.jpg
    d8.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 27
I can at least say the DigitalAV is supposed to be secured only both those headers. I don't like it either which is why i made a mount for my CPS1 Digital AV and that is a rock. I haven't had a chance to make a mount for CPS2 yet, but I think it is needed to take pressure off the pin headers.

Any skilled modding services to recommend having a go at this board and getting things all fixed up?
Even if it means rewiring/remodding it?

I think your best bet for right this second is to determine if it's the mod or the cps2. I'd wait for the supergun to arrive and see what the output looks like. Maybe @Darksoft has some input about it.

Can you see what this is? If it's metal, shorting those two pins would probably give you unexpected behavior.
1710695133544.png
Nice catch. Reopened it and it must have been a spec of dirt/dust, didn't see anything there this time. Rechecked all and any chip legs to ensure no random bits causing shorts.
I guess I'll have to wait a few days/week for the Supergun to arrive and see if its the board or the digital AV. Thanks!

I finally got my jamma adapter. The picture is good via the jamma and RGB. So must be an issue with the digital AV adapter and its connection to the chips.
I'll have to see if I can find someone to fix it, but in the mean time at least I can enjoy the setup.

Last edited:
Back