What's new

nidulans

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering if someone could provide some advice for getting my multi running. Picked up both the ST-V and CPS2 multi. ST-V is working well (and a lot of fun!) but the CPS2 is giving me grief.

I have having sprite issues (see screen shot below).

What I've tried:
Reseating the multi - all pins appear good
Seat with the b board in and outside the case - same issue
Reseating on the B board and another A board - same issue
I am switched to using decrypted roms (although it appears this is not an issue)
Checked the connections using a multimeter from the topside of the multi to the underside of the B board - appear ok but I suspect I missed quite a few and checked the same one eight times
I ran the two test codes and they seemed to work although I ran them from the gaming directory not the root directory (is that an issue?)

Alternative B boards (ok this is where I admit I might have an issue)
- I have 4 boards in my pile of meh stuff. 2 conversation boards (I know work fine) and 2 suicided boards (I have never booted from but was told they both were fine until the suicided...). The multi throws up a grey screen on 3 (2x conversation + 1 suicide) of these boards and the spite issue on the forth (1 suicide). I tried to trouble shoot the grey screen issue quite throughly. Landed on the spite issue when I swapped the multi. The multi has been moved between these boards a few times and the sprite issue always arises on this board and the grey screen on the others. The conversation boards are in terrible condition (had to straighten a lot of pins in the connectors the multi plugs into) so maybe that doesn't help but they appear to plug in ok.

What I think it could be:
Open to other suggestions...

I shall keep tinkering and checking things but if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it!

IMG_1101.JPG

Try seating the b-board without the case.

Thanks for the tips.

@Mitsurugi-w Tried both with and without the case on 2 different a-boards sadly without much luck.

@Apocalypse Cleaned and checked all the pins and I think they look good. I will go back in with a multimeter and check the connections and lines further out as see how I go

Faulty B-board! All fixed now! Such an amazing piece of kit. Thanks!

Ended up replacing the janky BGS-B1 PAL on a conversation board and it booted up fine on there. If on the rare chance someone happens to buy a pile of cheap converstion boards from China and then happens to try and put a multi on one. Replace their PALs. I guess in hindsight obvious... but I'm a new. :)

Back