What's new

Matsubuya

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi guys, I bought a cps3 board with a 3rd Strike cartridge from Yahoo Auctions a couple of weeks ago. Not being able to read Japanese I took a bit of a gamble on whether or not it's working or not. Well today it was delivered and I plugged it into my Astro and..... black screen 😭

I'm far from an expert on these things but from my research I've examined, tried and tested a few things to no avail;
-it did not come with a cd rom drive and disc ( was hoping it was the Japanese no cd version)
-I've open the cartridge and it still has a battery, no sign of leaking
-I've open the white housing piece on the motherboard, battery still there but there's dark discolouration on the battery wire, not sure if that means it's shorted
-I've cleaned the jamma and cartridge edge connectors
-checked voltage with multi meter is at 5v at the jamma edge

Wondering where to go to from here. I could buy an old cd drive, burn a copy of the 3rd strike disc and try that. Or just go ahead and organise a darksoft cart and new simms for it. Hoping someone from here could give me some pointers. I'll include some photo's below. Thanks!
20210921_093446.jpg
20210921_115829.jpg
20210921_115812.jpg
20210921_115907.jpg
20210921_094926.jpg

I got this screen once

That cart is probably dead.

Get a darksoft cart or a known working original cart and test with that. If you still don't get anything other than black screen or garbage graphics...you might have a paper weight motherboard

That cart is probably dead.

Get a darksoft cart or a known working original cart and test with that. If you still don't get anything other than black screen or garbage graphics...you might have a paper weight motherboard
Ah I see.
20210921_153004.jpg

I'm getting this screen with no cart inserted into the motherboard. Is that normal?

I comfirm remove the battery on MB just cut it, buy another 128 mb SIM and mod your cart to Darksoft ultrabios, if you want only play 3.3 take no cd if you want all game take with cd but you must buy one sd2scsi card reader. becareful if you take nocd dont forget to program your seem before.

I comfirm remove the battery on MB just cut it, buy another 128 mb SIM and mod your cart to Darksoft ultrabios, if you want only play 3.3 take no cd if you want all game take with cd but you must buy one sd2scsi card reader. becareful if you take nocd dont forget to program your seem before.
Thanks I'll look into it

I'm working on a very similar thing at the moment

CPS3 boots to garbled graphics. This is expected behavior when the security cart is dead

My plan to get it working is as follows - so far I've made it to step 4

1) match my use case to either "standard" or "custom" SH2 chip (for my use case it was custom)
1a) match my use case to either "CD" or "NOCD" media (for my use case it was CD)
2) download matching CPS3 ultraBIOS (for my use case it was UltraBIOS_for_custom_SH2_AUTOSELECT_v1.0_CD.u2)
3) either burn it myself or get buyICnow to burn it for me (i got buyICnow to do it)
4) remove the old stock bios - I'm up to here
5) replace with the new burnt ultrabios
6) make sure all the SIMMS are populated (for my use case 2 x 64mg, 4 x 128mb)
7) download the matching CPS3 game set
8) burn games to CD
9) done

Steps 4 and 5 are non-trivial in terms of mechanical skill - the bios chip is TSOP48 - leg pitch .5mm which is "Very Small", at the very least this requires an SMD rework station. I have been practising my SMD rework under a microscope. When I'm good enough to do this I'll be good enough to do pretty much anything.

I'm working on a very similar thing at the moment

CPS3 boots to garbled graphics. This is expected behavior when the security cart is dead

My plan to get it working is as follows - so far I've made it to step 4

1) match my use case to either "standard" or "custom" SH2 chip (for my use case it was custom)
1a) match my use case to either "CD" or "NOCD" media (for my use case it was CD)
2) download matching CPS3 ultraBIOS (for my use case it was UltraBIOS_for_custom_SH2_AUTOSELECT_v1.0_CD.u2)
3) either burn it myself or get buyICnow to burn it for me (i got buyICnow to do it)
4) remove the old stock bios - I'm up to here
5) replace with the new burnt ultrabios
6) make sure all the SIMMS are populated (for my use case 2 x 64mg, 4 x 128mb)
7) download the matching CPS3 game set
8) burn games to CD
9) done

Steps 4 and 5 are non-trivial in terms of mechanical skill - the bios chip is TSOP48 - leg pitch .5mm which is "Very Small", at the very least this requires an SMD rework station. I have been practising my SMD rework under a microscope. When I'm good enough to do this I'll be good enough to do pretty much anything.
Where do I find out what use case I have?

Where do I find out what use case I have?

Well, first I looked at what I had, and what I wanted to do, then made a plan from there

I had a CPS3 board with a broken security cart and a working SCSI drive
I wanted it to work, and i wanted to play all games, and I wanted to do it at the lowest possible cost
Since I wanted to re-use the origional cart i needed the "custom SH2" version of the bios
Since I wanted to play all the games I needed the "CD" version of the bios
Then I would need to modify the cart with the new bios
Then I would need 2 128mb SIMMS and 1 x 64 MB SIMM to fully populate it and I would (in theory) ge good to go

It's going to be a bit more complicated to define your requirements because you have more missing parts than me
From the photo it looks like you dont have a SCSI drive - you can either buy one of those or a SCSI2SD
From the photo it looks like you are missing at least one SIMM - I'm guessing that its a 128mb SIMM

EITHER
You could buy all the original parts and do what I'm doing (reprogram the cart and load the games off SCSI drive)
@djsheep is selling the SCSI drive and some SIMMS over in this thread.
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/fs-full-set-of-cps-3-simms-cd-drive-cd-cables.18826/
This is the lowest cost way to do it. But If you've never done this kind of SMD rework before this is going to be quite hard to take off the old BIOS and solder on a new one, and it takes several hours to swap between games

OR
You could buy a preprogramed security cart from here
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps3-repro-carts.1428/page-17
And a set of ultrasimms from here
https://www.candycabclub.com/product/cps3
And get someone from this board to program the ultrasimms for you here
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...e-of-a-regular-simm.15229/page-21#post-271136
This is a more expensive way to do it, but much more likley to work, and it takes seconds to swap between games instead of hours

Well, first I looked at what I had, and what I wanted to do, then made a plan from there

I had a CPS3 board with a broken security cart and a working SCSI drive
I wanted it to work, and i wanted to play all games, and I wanted to do it at the lowest possible cost
Since I wanted to re-use the origional cart i needed the "custom SH2" version of the bios
Since I wanted to play all the games I needed the "CD" version of the bios
Then I would need to modify the cart with the new bios
Then I would need 2 128mb SIMMS and 1 x 64 MB SIMM to fully populate it and I would (in theory) ge good to go

It's going to be a bit more complicated to define your requirements because you have more missing parts than me
From the photo it looks like you dont have a SCSI drive - you can either buy one of those or a SCSI2SD
From the photo it looks like you are missing at least one SIMM - I'm guessing that its a 128mb SIMM

EITHER
You could buy all the original parts and do what I'm doing (reprogram the cart and load the games off SCSI drive)
@djsheep is selling the SCSI drive and some SIMMS over in this thread.
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/fs-full-set-of-cps-3-simms-cd-drive-cd-cables.18826/
This is the lowest cost way to do it. But If you've never done this kind of SMD rework before this is going to be quite hard to take off the old BIOS and solder on a new one, and it takes several hours to swap between games

OR
You could buy a preprogramed security cart from here
https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/cps3-repro-carts.1428/page-17
And a set of ultrasimms from here
https://www.candycabclub.com/product/cps3
And get someone from this board to program the ultrasimms for you here
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...e-of-a-regular-simm.15229/page-21#post-271136
This is a more expensive way to do it, but much more likley to work, and it takes seconds to swap between games
I only want to play 3rd strike so am I able to send the cart to someone to install the ultra bios and I can take care of the rest by buying a 128mb simm and using a scsi drive?

Ah I see.
20210921_153004.jpg

I'm getting this screen with no cart inserted into the motherboard. Is that normal?

Yes this is normal. Before you go buying a drive or extra simms, you should really confirm if that motherboard works. Send the cart off to someone who can upgrade it to darksoft. Once you get the cart back, plug it in and see if you get any on the screen. If all is well, you should get an error that not enough memory is installed.

Back