What's new
There may be a use-case for a gun cabinet that uses a Type 1 I/O, but I have no experience with JVS gun cabs and any challenges presented when trying to boot other shooting games.
This was what interested me in the project to begin with. I still haven't put together the V1 kit I got from you but once I get further into my Gun setup I'll see how much of a need there actually is for it.

It would be awesome if this and the FFB translator was released someday, just saying! :D
Is the FFB output from a JVS control board standard like the inputs?

I.e. could you connect the outputs to a generic Suzohapp ffb motor driver for use with their active race wheel (with it's DC motor) and have it work on any JVS compliant race cab?

The claim on their site is that their motor controller automatically recognizes the type of motor and FFB code. I've never seen any reviews or discussion about it on forums on how well it works though (as a general purpose multi-game solution).

I'm also not sure if newer race cabs use servo or stepper motors on their ffb wheels. These require motor drives to generate step and direction (or whatever type of instruction they use). If simpler dc motors became standard it makes it easier.

It would be awesome if this and the FFB translator was released someday, just saying! :D
Is the FFB output from a JVS control board standard like the inputs?
I.e. could you connect the outputs to a generic Suzohapp ffb motor driver for use with their active race wheel (with it's DC motor) and have it work on any JVS compliant race cab?

The claim on their site is that their motor controller automatically recognizes the type of motor and FFB code. I've never seen any reviews or discussion about it on forums on how well it works though (as a general purpose multi-game solution).

I'm also not sure if newer race cabs use servo or stepper motors on their ffb wheels. These require motor drives to generate step and direction (or whatever type of instruction they use). If simpler dc motors became standard it makes it easier.
FFB is not managed by JVS. It is output over different ports. The FFB translator is a different project.

It would be awesome. I hope there's a MEGA JVS announcement soon, but it won't be coming from me.

FFB translator project is on hold unless someone else wants to take it over. I don't see myself getting back into that any time soon. I originally wanted it myself to play Mario Kart and WMMT in my OR2 cab, and then I got a pair of WMMT cabs and didn't need translation in those.

oh,., I assumed the outputs on the controls boards were for ffb and recoil etc. Are they just for lamps?

What port does the FFB board connect to on Lindbergh racing cabs?

I might be completely wrong, but I beleive that 18 Wheeler, and the Bus Tour one do actually perform FFB out of the JVS line - but as I said that's just something I've heard from someone and haven't checked myself.

You're right though, output on JVS is usually used for lamps + gun recoils.

On the Lindbergh there are 2 serial ports (COM1 + COM2). I beleive they normally use COM2, but could be COM1. I know that Let's Go Jungle Special, and Outrun 2SPDX uses COM2 to communicate with the ride board + dual steering splitter board respectively.

Is the FFB output from a JVS control board standard like the inputs?I.e. could you connect the outputs to a generic Suzohapp ffb motor driver for use with their active race wheel (with it's DC motor) and have it work on any JVS compliant race cab?

FFB is not managed by JVS. It is output over different ports. The FFB translator is a different project.

It would be awesome. I hope there's a MEGA JVS announcement soon, but it won't be coming from me.
FFB translator project is on hold unless someone else wants to take it over. I don't see myself getting back into that any time soon. I originally wanted it myself to play Mario Kart and WMMT in my OR2 cab, and then I got a pair of WMMT cabs and didn't need translation in those.
yep that's why I was excited about it, play wmmt in my ID cabs with FFB. Don't have room for another twin so ;(

On chihiro, force feedback is using the midi port. This is basically just a full duplex serial port using a strange baudrate and using opto couplers to connect the boards.
The opto coupler way of connnecting is used in the midi standard as well and is well described. The same is true for the baudrate.

On lindbergh, it's using a serial port, but rs422 or rs485 as electrical standard if I remember well.

I would still be highly interested in this solution. My intention is to run a WMMT3 cab and run sega hardware in it. It would be amazing if we could perhaps together make this work on the Mega/MultiJVS. I have the following boards available for testing:

- Naomi
- Naomi 2
- TriForce
- Ringedge
- Ringedge 2
- RingWide
- Chihiro
- TTX2
- TTX3

My ultimate goal is to get these all working in a single WMMT cab with FFB by using the Multi-JVS. So just swap the board/game, select the profile and go.

I would still be highly interested in this solution. My intention is to run a WMMT3 cab and run sega hardware in it. It would be amazing if we could perhaps together make this work on the Mega/MultiJVS. I have the following boards available for testing:

- Naomi
- Naomi 2
- TriForce
- Ringedge
- Ringedge 2
- RingWide
- Chihiro
- TTX2
- TTX3

My ultimate goal is to get these all working in a single WMMT cab with FFB by using the Multi-JVS. So just swap the board/game, select the profile and go.

Just as an FYI, there are a good number of FFB protocols for each game + system, it's not just SEGA vs NAMCO. They vary in software protocol, and hardware communication. You'd have to spend a very good amount of time reverse engineering them all. Outrun (Sega Serial) is different from WMMT (Namco Serial) is different from Mario Kart (JVS) is different from Sega Racing Classic (JVS 2) is different from Tokyo Bus Tour (JVS 3) etc.

I beleive there is a FFB converter project that's actually for sale somewhere that seems to be able to convert a good amount of them, I'm afraid I can't remember the link to it - but I would think if you searched around you'd find it. It can definately do Sega -> Namco, and so you'd be able to do most FFB stuff with the exception of a few games that run FFB over JVS.

The MEGA JVS sold on here should be able to do everything you want except for FFB. I suspect they've got maps for most games, but if not the OpenJVS project has mapped out the controls for quite a few of the games here: https://github.com/OpenJVS/OpenJVS/tree/master/docs/openjvs/games so you could convert these over for all the games you wanted to play.

The MEGA JVS sold on here should be able to do everything you want except for FFB. I suspect they've got maps for most games,
The MEGAJVS can be configured to any game. It allows you to change the pins of almost any input. It's really a universal JVS PCB with the nice thing of switching profiles just pressing a button and the possitiblity of using NeoGeo compatible joysticks.

Are there any plans to add support for NA-JV based systems? Namco ES3 for example? These systems currently error out on this I/O even when the I/O Board String is changed.

Back