What's new

Opelspyder

Student
Reaction score
So I’m new to the whole DDR setups, but I just acquired a Solo with Max2 7th mix loaded. It works fine, but I have my issues with it and want to learn about it.
So the 7th mix is a two player version and it works fine, but then all your arrows are on the left side of the screen( a little annoying to me). Is this a Python 2? Basically a PlayStation 2? What would have been done to make it this version? I have the Solo 2000 memory card in it, can I put it back to that version? I know it doesn’t have as much, but there isn’t any action arrows in the 4th mix.
I really don’t know where to start, as it’s all new to me. I also noticed the connector undone, when I connect it my control panel lights work, but when the strobe lights flash, so does the screen flickers, so I know why it was left unplugged (simple fix?)
IMG_0697.jpeg

And lastly, where is the best place to get artwork for these? I would like a new plexiglass sign panel made, even if it says Max2, but Solo would be cool. Would like to find some signs and such that went on later versions of this
IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_0696.jpeg

I appreciate any help or suggestions, I’ll enjoy it the way it is, but would like it 100%

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 25
DDR Max2 is based on System 573 (PS1 based) and not Python 2 (Which was straight up a PS2 inside a metal cage). DDR Supernova was when Python 2 was used.

The cart you see there is a security cart, not a memory cart. It becomes useless once detached. The vast majority of DDR cabs in the US run bootleg versions of software (usually DDR 8th mix Extreme) that don't require a security cart.

Screen flickering sounds like a grounding issue.

When running anything other than the DDR Solo mixes, you will need to change the JAMMA harness pinout, because DDR doubles cabs use a Pad IO to manage the controls, while DDR Solo mixes just connect the pad controls to JAMMA directly. Since I don't see a fingerboard connected to the 573, my guess is that someone directly changed the pinouts on the JAMMA wiring harness to make DDR Max2 work correctly. If you figure out how to load DDR Solo mixes and and the controls don't work correctly, this is probably the reason why.

For the arrows on the left side, I don't think this is avoidable on doubles mixes. Maybe Event Mode in the arcade operators menu will center the arrows for 1 player, but I doubt it. You will probably need to play Solo mixes, or use Stepmania/ITGmania

Okay, I understand a bit more now. Knowing it’s System 573 helps, and then I found some info on what needs to be done to the pin out of the Jamma harness to make it work. I’ll go over and add some grounds just to see if that won’t help eliminate that issue of screen flickering.

Any good sources for decals and artwork?

I haven't really needed art for my Solo cab so I don't really know unfortunately. You can try the forums on zenius-i-vanisher.com or certain FB groups like the rhythm cab owners group https://www.facebook.com/groups/180601838781725 or the buy/sell group https://www.facebook.com/groups/487629124643497

Be sure to check for grounding between the pad and cab. I'm not sure if you have the standard or deluxe platform, but iirc either way there should be a green grounding wire that is often not connected correctly.

Yeah there is a ground from the pad and I know it’s not connected, so I will make sure to get that done, and add some to see if that fixes the flickering screen

I did connect the ground from the dance stage, with no difference. It’s weird because if that is plugged in, and the lights flash….the screen blips during the flash. I’m going to look for other places to add grounds, may pull out the control panel and see if there is something with it that is loose.

Back