What's new

Dadou

Student
Reaction score
Hi all,

i found a good deal for a: Naomi 2 + Capcom io board +GD-Drive + Dimm 512 Mb

i would like to know what is the difference between the Dimm and the NetDimm.

All the games can be played with the Dimm? or some games must be played only with the NetDimm?

The advantage of the NetDimm is the connection between PC and the Naomi 2 or there is something else?

sorry if the questions was already answered.

Thank you.

The only difference is the NetDimm has:
  1. A daughter board that allows for network access
  2. A different metal cover plate that accommodates the network jack
  3. And most NetDimm's are flashed with firmware out of OEM that is above 2.xx
Additionally, the regular DIMM requires soldering/surgery to be performed in a very procedural way to update the firmware so you can CF (Compact Flash) boot. In addition to the surgery, you need the networking daughterboard from the NetDIMM to achieve this.
  1. Remove DIMM firmware by unsoldering
  2. Flash new firmware to 3.17
  3. Install new 3.17 firmware and NetDimm daughterboard
  4. Netboot to update from 3.17 to 4.02 so that you can CF boot
The Dimm plays all the games the NetDimm plays but you need a Compact Flash reader as well (usually another $100 or you can make your own). You cannot PiBoot or NetBoot with just a regular DIMM. You must have a CF reader if you wish to switch games. The regular Dimm has the advantage in that just powering on the cab with the game you want to always play and requires no further physical switching action. Net or Pi booting a NetDimm requires games to be selected each time before they can boot. Lastly, the NetDimm has all the capabilities of the regular Dimm.

Last edited:
Didn't the 4.03 firmware support CD-R booting as well or am I missing something?

Yes, 4.03 does support CD-R booting. There is some additional leg work that needs to be done with each game image however. It does present an alternative if you can't get a NetDimm or a CF reader.

Keep in mind, the Naomi is notoriously finicky and 4.03 isn't widely used. You may run into other issues. CF booting and Pi/Netbooting are a bit more mature and "stable".

@Dadou, depending on how good the deal is, I'd just get it. Though, it doesn't sound like you have the resources around you to update the Dimm accordingly. Weigh these things in with your purchase decision.

@RealMFnG - Thank you for your explanations.

So if I understand correctly if I want to own only official game (Cart or GD-Rom) the Dimm is enough, right?

Does the firmware of the Dimm important for some games?

For this bundle: Naomi 2 + Capcom io board +GD-Drive + Dimm 512 Mb + Virtua Striker 3 Cart

The seller ask me 400 euros including shipping.

I added pictures of the Dimm.

Attachments

• IMG-20220308-WA0081.jpg
    IMG-20220308-WA0081.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-20220308-WA0084.jpg
    IMG-20220308-WA0084.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 135
@RealMFnG - Thank you for your explanations.

So if I understand correctly if I want to own only official game (Cart or GD-Rom) the Dimm is enough, right?
Not quite. You'll need a Sun PSU as well. A standard arcade switching PSU won't suffice to power the Dimm and GDROM unless you perform surgery on the Capcom I/O.

Given if you already have a Sun PSU, and if all you ever want to play is original carts and GD-ROM's, then that is all you'll need. You should also be advised that the Capcom I/O has input lag.
Does the firmware of the Dimm important for some games?
If the game is a GD-ROM game, the DIMM's firmware is not important.

Should you ever upgrade to a NetDimm, you have remember to update your Naomi 2's bios as well.
For this bundle: Naomi 2 + Capcom io board +GD-Drive + Dimm 512 Mb + Virtua Striker 3 Cart

The seller ask me 400 euros including shipping.

I added pictures of the Dimm.
I am American. We don't think in Euros. But......

5 years ago, with no games included:
  • Naomi 2 = $200 USD
  • Capcom I/O = $150 USD
  • Regular Dimm = $50 USD
Not sure what exchange rates are but given today's market price, that sounds like a good deal to me.

Nope.

Pro-Tip: Stay away from any arcade product that is Wei-ya branded. Hope you didn't buy that. You've been warned.
Do you have guide about the surgery that need to be done on the capcom i/o?
It is only discussed and alluded to. Not documented anywhere.

In dollars it's ~ 450$.
Good deal, especially shipped.
One more question: Every Dimm can be converted to NetDimm?

Thank you very much.
Look at nem's answer above.

Too bad I already have one I bought last year :unsure: they are not accurate?

Do you know which one will be enough for this combo?

I will try to find the post on the capcom io surgery.

Thank you

In addition to the surgery, you need the networking daughterboard from the NetDIMM to achieve this.
  1. Remove DIMM firmware by unsoldering
  2. Flash new firmware to 3.17
  3. Install new 3.17 firmware and NetDimm daughterboard
  4. Netboot to update from 3.17 to 4.02 so that you can CF boot
no need to over-complicate things, desolder and flash directly to 4.02 works just fine, this was confirmed many times

I tried 4.03 and that gave me a black screen, removing, ram, daughterboard or GD rom threw me back to the naomi bios with error codes. Burning 3.17 and it booted like usual though.

Note: The netboot image of 4.02 cannot be used directly in the FLASH device. You have to remove the first: 0x10000 bytes from it.

The real image starts with: 0E D0 0E 40 1C

i'v said it before, but i think when you update by net/gd something gets changed in the eeprom aswell as the flash - i'd like to see eeprom dumps before and after upgrade.

Can you share the contents of the original BIOS with us ?

I don't have an adapter that can read the original (Sharp?) chips.

They're labeled FPR-23489C and I think they all identified as 1.02 in the DIMM test.

I just dropped this 4.02 binary from @Tailsnic Retroworks on a regular dimm and have it booting from CF right now:

https://segaretro.org/User:Tailsnic

It was the third dimm I tried updating. The first two black screened or Error 22'd. Both started working when I soldered the original bios back.
strange, I have updated my 4 dimm that I have, (1 SCSI, 2 only Ethernet and 1 SCSI/Ethernet) and they have worked without problem with firmware 4.02 that @Tailsnic Retroworks Snic once uploaded. even with CF adapter from arcademodbios. What hasn't worked for me has been the CF adapter from @tecfutur, which seemed very small and practical.

all dimms I have previously had firmware 1.02

Attachments

• 20210904_075725_copy_1190x1879.jpg
    20210904_075725_copy_1190x1879.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210904_075735_copy_1016x2257.jpg
    20210904_075735_copy_1016x2257.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 98
Back