What's new
don't say the reason but I'm going to guess 2 reasons:

- Exa is going to release a version
- M2 is going to release a version

Doubt it. Sounds like it’s just being gatekept to the nth degree.

Oh man, couldn't have picked more polar opposite good/bad news if I had to.

Bummer to hear your project won't come to release @ekorz but you did one hell of a job.

My guess is exA version. Does seem more like their thing.

I think I remember Shou hinting last year that more 'bees' were coming.

Bummer news, but thanks for putting in the work anyways. It was fun following this project even if it didn't pan out the way we hoped.

well this sucks
was awesome to watch progress of though

edit: also the ultimate rick roll

@ekorz got a "special visit" from some of CAVEs "independent contractors"

bodyguards-suits-group-three-professional-serious-bodyguards_941600-28274.jpg copy.jpg

Either way, helluva project to watch develop and hopefully the work you put into it will be revealed in some form down the line.

My guess is exA version. Does seem more like their thing.

I think I remember Shou hinting last year that more 'bees' were coming.
What bugs me about exA is they are a LICENSEE and not the IP owner. So how does that give them the right to go after projects... If anything let Cave handle the issue.

Because Cave already has the licensing money. Only party whose bottom line is affected is Exa.

I have no insight into this project.

But I have been on the side of the license holder, and on the side of doing personal projects that violated licensed IPs and getting (very polite) requests to desist what I was doing so the license holder didn't have to report me to the source. To which I complied, they were in the right, and I wasn't.

As the license holder you are paying money for that license. Perhaps up front cash, perhaps a royalty on everything you sell, and putting your own time and money into developing something with it.

Unauthorized, unlicensed projects hurt that investment.

If say exA (pure speculation from here on out) was working on an arcade release of the Campaign mode, with Cave's approval, they're not only paying Cave for that, they're also paying their devs, or Trap and Mike, or whoever to make a port.

They hope to attract shmup fans to the arcade to play it, and make money for ops who buy their game. They hope to sell their game to private collectors. Their business model relies on having exclusive content their fans are excited about.

If that core, and frankly small, audience can simply play it for free? It's going to hurt sales, it's going to hurt arcade plays.

So yeah, they have "the right". Legally speaking they would probably simply ask Cave to deal with it, but before anyone sends a cease and desist and involves lawyers a simple polite email often gets the job done. Nobody here is trying to invite problems for the companies or the community.

Or maybe something different happened, who knows. But the above isn't unreasonable. Sharing a fan remake of a rare piece of IP is neat, I'm 100% for it. But it's not our IP, and the holders do have rights.

Damn that's a kick in the bollocks, hope yourself and your mates can enjoy your hard work, that was one badass looking game :)

Are there tutorials available or maybe ekorz is willing to make a tutorial on how to mod Dodonpachi?!
Any links would be appreciated.
I'm willing to start my own ddp campaign project in private (I'm sure many others would too).
There's nothing illegal in tutorials.

This is a super-cool project by ekorz! Big props for all the work you put into this. Hopefully, one day your version can be released.

The timing really stinks. Over 25 years go by and then all of the sudden within days of release, this happens. Oof. Not a good look.

While it's a bummer that it's not going to be immediately playable for wide distribution with mame/mister, it does seem cool that something official is in the works. Whether it's EXA or M2, both of those companies have contact with CAVE so maybe the original source will be available to them and the release will be close to perfect. I'm hoping it's M2 so that I can actually play it (sorry EXA, you're doing excellent work but it's so cost-prohibitive, it might as well be vaporware for most shmup fans).

In the meantime, we should just go play Dodonpachi Daioujou!

Back