What's new

XeD

Grand Master
Reaction score
I'm helping a buddy setup his X2. He has a sega i/o a 838-13683-93 and -02. We can't seem to get the kicks working properly. He doesn't have a game for the naomi but in the jvs input test the register. On my end I only have a capcom io and that work. Is his sega io not compatible? He confirmed jp1 is set to A

He tried that. Even with jp 1 set to A he only has 1 kick button per player on cn3. The other 2 are on the jamma. I even got him to switch position on jp1. I guess he has a faulty i/o

He tried that. Even with jp 1 set to A he only has 1 kick button per player on cn3. The other 2 are on the jamma. I even got him to switch position on jp1. I guess he has a faulty i/o
That's exactly how it works. the AO wiki pinout is wrong.

that IO has buttons 4 and 5 mapped to the JAMMA edge ONLY and button 6 is on CN3... the jumper must bet set to Poisition A for button 6 to work.

I think the confusion comes from a couple of specific NAOMI games that when using that IO moves buttons 4, 5, and 6 to buttons 6, 7, and 8 so that they all appear on that connector... it certainly doesn't do that on any of the X2 games.

Reactions: XeD
Looking at it again (with fresh eyes) they do label it button 6-9. Does it not work like a normal kick harness with kicks only? If not I guess I have to send him another adapter to route button 4/5 from jamma to cps2/3 style connector

Looking at it again (with fresh eyes) they do label it button 6-9
that specific link yes, but there's other pinouts on the wiki that are wrong. Due to the labeling on these incorrect pinouts you'll see a lot of people clamoring specifically for the "Rev B" version of that JVS adapter because they think that's the one that maps 4-6 on CN3... but they're ultimately left disappointed.

Does it not work like a normal kick harness with kicks only?
If by normal you mean "Capcom" then, no it does not conform to the Capcom spec. Official JAMMA spec actually has provisions for buttons 4 and 5 on the JAMMA edge, which is likely why Sega did it that way.

If not I guess I have to send him another adapter to route button 4/5 from jamma to cps2/3 style connector
I had JNX make me a Street Fighter the Movie adapter because it has similar wiring with buttons 4 and 5 on the JAMMA edge and 6 on it's own connector. I can't find it but I do I have a post somewhere with a pic of me using it on this Sega IO to remap everything to a CPS2 style connector.

D95BA6C2-9AD8-40F9-805E-B33584075948.jpeg

These, ts?

Attachments

• 1D46E71A-17B0-45A7-A9CE-98450EF05E34.jpeg
    1D46E71A-17B0-45A7-A9CE-98450EF05E34.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 154
If/when I get a Rev. B, it was going to help with my needs!

Just came across this thread, so is the Atlas plus connector only needed when using the JVS with a Naomi? Which system has all the kicks on the 14p?

And looking at the pic it looks like Button "6" is terminated to input 9 on the 14p, is that correct? Any differences (button-wise) between Rev A and B?

Sorry for all the questions, I've never owned one of these so I'm confused and I have a customer who has a Rev A trying to use it on a Naomi.

ust came across this thread, so is the Atlas plus connector only needed when using the JVS with a Naomi?
no, it's needed on any system using that particular IO board if you want buttons 4 and 5 on the kick connector.
Which system has all the kicks on the 14p?
none of them, it's based on the IO board, not the "system" it's attached to.
And looking at the pic it looks like Button "6" is terminated to input 9 on the 14p, is that correct?
no, pin 4 is P1 button 6, and pin 8 is P2 button 6, you can find the pinout here: http://www.tms-designs.com/theshed/images/naomijamma.gif
Any differences (button-wise) between Rev A and B?
nope, there are a lot of misinformed post on the internet that claim otherwise but they're wrong.

I should also note that the jumper (on either revision) needs to be set to position "A" in order for the 14 pin to function as an output.

Thanks dude, that clears up a bunch.
no, it's needed on any system using that particular IO board if you want buttons 4 and 5 on the kick connector.

none of them, it's based on the IO board, not the "system" it's attached to.

no, pin 4 is P1 button 6, and pin 8 is P2 button 6, you can find the pinout here: http://www.tms-designs.com/theshed/images/naomijamma.gif

nope, there are a lot of misinformed post on the internet that claim otherwise but they're wrong.

I should also note that the jumper (on either revision) needs to be set to position "A" in order for the 14 pin to function as an output.

Back