What's new

charles4400

Student
Reaction score
I have a Naomi with the latest JPN Bios in it. Just set it up earlier today with a GD-rom and all is working great with it...wooohooo!

Question is, does this bios affect the language in games? Is there a reason to change it to he ENG Bios?

I have only been able to test this with Confidential Mission in a gd-rom. I haven't been able to play it yet (had to leave the house before I could test) but the game preview shows Chinese/Japanese characters flashing during "RELOAD" on the screen; the English word flashes "Reload" then the Chinese characters flash after that. Is this due to me having a JPN Bios?

It seems like the JPN Bios will work with the majority of games so if I currently have this Bios, is there anything I am missing by not installing a most recent ENG Bios?

Thanks....I'm new to the Naomi platform.

-Charles

It does. Mostly the in-game text will be in different languages. Subtle gameplay differences depending on the game as well. For some games, they will only play in certain regions. If you are ok with the language as is and there no game you plan on playing that is region blocked from the Japan bios, there no reason to switch.

Last edited:
Got it thanks!

I'd prefer the in game text to be in English, so I guess I will get a USA Bios.....at least I'll have a copy of both Bios' in case I run into a game that is region blocked.

Thanks for the info!

I use a JP bios 99% of the time. The only times I switch to US are for:

-Reading the assist type on MvC2 during character selection.
-Being able to read directions on world series baseball.
-Initial D3 export or virtua fighter 4 that won't play on JP Naomi2.

Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper doesn't play on the US BIOS as well.

I hex edited the region on Street Fighter Zero 3 upper .dat file so it could be the american version.

Buried on some forum somewhere I found the hex position for changing the region. But I haven't been able to locate that info again.

with Street Fighter zero 3 upper. It turned out the entire english version is there for Street Fighter Alpha 3 upper. Other games don't have that tho. Like capcom vs snk pro. I tried that one and it works sorta then crashes in a middle of a fight and doesnt have any english translation.

I'll repost the method I use

I found Deunan's old Dimm Tools for the region patching of Naomi images, which you can download here DIMMTools

To use on any Windows machine:

extract the region.exe to the folder where your BIN images are

open up a command prompt in that folder and type "region.exe yourgamename.bin" then press enter.

obviously no quotations and replace it with the actual name of your game

I've tested this on an actual Naomi with US H bios. I tested Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper. Unpatched you get the Error 02, patched it loads up with the US bios and you get the USA warning screen, best of all the in game language and win quotes are in English! SF3ZU comes up as Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper.

Back