What's new

GoldenGlover

Grand Master
Reaction score
Got quite a conundrum when trying to use a battery SF3:NG cart. I did a successful battery swap recently on a cart recently coming in my possession & when I went to power everything up with its corresponding game disc, I get a “The CDROM is not properly connected. Please turn the power off and properly correctly (yes this is an engrish message I get). No CPS3 dancing man or Capcom logos, just this weird screen:

IMG_0097.jpeg

Obviously the BIOS is alive but no matter what I try, this message still appears. I’d hate to kill a working cart on purpose (I have a soft spot for New Generation) but considering this setup I have works with an UltraBIOS cart, a CR-504 SCSI that still works flawlessly & all 6 SIMMS properly populated, could it be possible that this New Generation battery cart’s BIOS is “rotting” & can’t “see” the CD any longer? Is this something that can happen with these BIOSes?

Why is it so hard for me to try playing battery NG…lol.

EDIT: Thanks to @tDRG for allowing me to some of his working OEM drives. Turns out the Capcom-issued ISO does not like my Matshushita CR-504 despite Darksoft being able to be loaded on it. Cart is actually fine.

Looks like Darksoft’s CPS3 ISOs are not picky when it comes to a similar SCSI drive to run it. Still a head scratcher as this CR504 I have is literally the same guts as the OEM ones.

Last edited:
on the older games i believe there is no dancing man or cps3 logo

the cart looks good - in my experience there is some issue between the motherboard and the cdrom for this message. perhaps the scsi cable (if there are kinks in it, it can cause problems i believe), power cable, or the scsi rom itself. you could also burn the legit iso image on the an scsi2sd type device and that should work also.

Tried a new ISO image of NG & it still won’t read. SCSI cable’s also brand new from Amazon.

I can successfully write anything with my UltraBIOS + ISO when it’s in my working drive, so I know it’s not the drive or cables as the drive gets plenty of power. Here’s my setup on now in front of me with 3S loaded:

IMG_0101.jpeg

First time in my years of dealing with CPS3 I’ve seen this cart not reading CD mismatch!

weird. there may be a dirty contact on the cart itself possibly, though yeah that is very strange. i would may try delicately cleaning the contacts on the cart as another option?

Already done. Same problem. It’s gotta be the cart. I have way too much experience with this system to not be familiar with encountering this dilemma.

My CPS3 does this all the time, but it's a multi with an sd2scsi. I think I've narrowed it down to the SD card slot.

Can you try a different drive or SCSI cable? Have you monitored the voltage under load during boot?

5.05 - 5.08v. No issues with power. Different cables have been tried; don’t have access to a different drive atm. Doubtful Darksoft’s ISOs can be read by this exact setup & drive & this NG ISO can’t as is the case here. Should be all or nothing re: the drive seeing a disc.

Last edited:
I have a couple drives, you're welcome to try them if you think yours could be the problem.

Problem solved; battery cart’s OK (see lead post). OG ISOs seem to prefer these Capcom OEM drives. Darksoft’s CPS3 ISOs are far less picky in what they use apparently!

Strange I can run 3S with my Matsushita CR504 drive & UltraBIOS cart but not a Capcom issued NG cart/CD. 🤔

Thanks again to @tDRG for meeting up with me and graciously letting me test some OEM drives. Guy is super chill; hope he thinks the same of me lol.

Back