What's new
@TulioAdriano you saw that I posted the fixed files from Apocalypse for FZ ?
Yes @rtw, definitely. And thank you so much for having posted those. What I'm doing is a sort of clean room rebuild of the Fantast Zone 16B set, so that I can post the IPS patches, in that way, we don't have to worry about dead links or any deleted threads. And it should work with any clean set. Those files you sent are invaluable in making sure that everything will work as it should.

I was able to extract the program ROMs from the multi set and run Fantasy Zone Time Attack on the System 16B, but I didn't play well with the original SCR and OBJ ROMs from the original game. It behaves the very similar as when you convert a S16A to Fantasy Zone with the wrong IC69 PLD. Extracting the SCR and OBJ data is a major annoyance, because there seems to be some swapped address lines and as a result the data appears to come in 256 byte chunks, separated by 256 bytes of nothing. At that time I gave up and just used the System 16A. Sound worked fine with extracted Sound Program from the multi set. Test menu worked fine.

One thing to note is that obj rom labelled A1 actually goes at location B2 and obj rom B10 goes to location B6. Reference the photo I posted for jumpers too.

I wrote an asset extractor for the pak files found in the SEGA AGES PS2 collections.

pak files can be found in:

Sega Ages Vol.20 - Space Harrier Complete Collection (PS2-SLPM-62691)
Sega Ages Vol.21 - SEGA System 16 Collection SDI & Quartet (PS2-SLPM-62692)
Sega Ages Vol.24 - Last Bronx (PS2-SLPM-62687)
Sega Ages Vol.28 - Tetris Collection (PS2-SLPM-62746)
Sega Ages Vol.29 - Monster World Complete Collection (PS2-SLPM-62760)
Sega Ages Vol.30 - Galaxy Force II Special Extended Edition (PS2-SLPM-62766)
Sega Ages Vol.31 - Cyber Troopers Virtual-On (PS2-SLPM-62767)
Sega Ages Vol.32 - Phantasy Star Complete Collection (PS2-SLPM-62775)
Sega Ages Vol.33 - Fantasy Zone Collection (PS2-SLPM-62780)

Some pak files actually contain more pak files.

The pak files contain ROM files as well as artwork and instruction sheets.

Usage:

depak -x bin.pak

This is a command line tool. Please do not PM me with questions about this tool. Ask the questions in this thread.

If anyone has a command line tool which can convert tim2 files to png or similar please post it here.

Attachments

• depak.rar
    10.6 KB · Views: 91
  • depak_ubuntu.zip
    328.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Nice, are those versions of SDI & Quartet for Sys16A or Sys16B?

Hi again. My further efforts to get Fantasy Zone to run on the System 16B with the 171-5358 romboard have yielded some progress... however it's far from perfect. And I think it will never work without further patches to the program roms. I'll explain why after this photo.
photo1656727391.jpeg

This is the best I got on the 171-5358 ROM board​

Memory mapping. It is quite different between System 16 games, and how their ROM boards are constructed. The 171-5358 ROM board is made with the same layout as the System 16A, that is: All chips up to 64K, 3 program rom pairs, 4 OBJ rom pairs, 5 sound roms (the first limited to 32K and contains the Z80 program), and 3 screen ROMs, one for each of the bit planes.

These slots are separated by some memory gaps, and without any further arrangement that is 2Mbit. What happens when I tried to arrange the ROMs in that ROM board, is that I can fit 64KB of program rom in the first chip, however the 3rd piece goes to the next chip which is placed in memory after 2Mbit. As a result there's missing program data (i.e.: Tile maps, sprite definitions, etc.), or rather, the program data is unreachable, reason why when running the memory test, of the 3 program ICs tested, 2 pass and one fail. The first stage must have all the stage data between the 1st and 2nd 32K chunks, but other stages such as the first one that appears on the title screen, don't render correctly:
photo1656727391 (1).jpeg

Title screen with corrupt tiles and sprites​

I can probably dig into hacking the program and spread it as it was originally intended but I don't think I have enough time/motivation to go that deep, considering the other work I'm involved with. In any case I just wanted to leave this report here in case either I come back to it, or someone wants to pick it up.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.

Last edited:
did someone have this working romset?
the links are down...

Back