What's new

fruityloops

Student
Reaction score
Just setup my multi cps2 on a XVS rev 3 board. Checked all of the jumpers, and soldered pin 7 on my f pal to j 17 on the board. I can flash the board with any game, but on reboot I get a black screen. A board works with other games. Any pointers on where I can start debugging?

Okay I also just swapped B boards, tried it on my other suicided board, this time a rev 7. Swapped the F Pal for the G Pal, triple checked jumpers, plugged everything in, still getting black screen after loading a game and restarting.

Help would be appreciated.

Either your program rom or main kit pcb isn't pushed in all the way, the interconnect pcb is not pushed on all the way or is backwards, your pcb is not suicided (may need to short EXC5), or you have bent or broken pins.

If you are getting nothing then you can rule out jumpers or PAL issues for now.

I can try again tomorrow, pretty sure pins are not bent. I shorted out EXC1 on both boards -- though they've been dead for months. I'll try shorting out EXC5 tomorrow. I made sure both PCBs were pushed all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 305
Forgot to mention the improperly set up SD cards also cause this a lot.

I formatted the card on windows. Tried flashing a whole bunch of different games, all of them return with the black screen. I'll take some pics of the install tomorrow, maybe i'm doing something wrong.

I formatted the card on windows. Tried flashing a whole bunch of different games, all of them return with the black screen. I'll take some pics of the install tomorrow, maybe i'm doing something wrong.
For what it's worth, you need to copy all the games over to the SD in one shot. A whole bunch of writes can make things messy.

I shorted ECX5, right by the battery, reformatted the SD card to FAT32, re-downloaded and copied over the games directory to the SD card again. I'm using a samsung evo SD card. Both PCBs appear to be seated correctly. I tried flashing various games off the SD card, and on reboot I still get nothing.

I've attached some additional side shots to show the pins. Please let me know if it's installed correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 281
my board seems to keep resuiciding itself cause me to have to short out the connections and wait a day after doing it. Seems unusual but that has been my experience. Has happened 3 times now.

What size is your SD card? Has anyone else gotten a Samsung Evo card to work?

SD card is 16 gigs.

What size is your SD card? Has anyone else gotten a Samsung Evo card to work?
SD card is 16 gigs. I also tried it with a 32 gig SD card, no dice. But now when the board first boots up, there's tiny red lattice like box that flashes briefly on the middle bottom of the screen, then it's still just black. This happens with all of the games I tried flashing.

You will most likely need to buy a smaller card. This kit does not like larger cards for some reason. 4GB cards will pretty much work. Going up in size is kind of a crapshoot. Some work. Some don't. That is why the recommended cards in the info section are 4GB. We aren't sure why its like that. Darksoft is going to try to improve compatibility with newer projects but for now I would stick to the 4 GB card to get the kit up and running. You can experiment with larger cards later if you like.

I would go buy a 4GB card and try that next.

Cool, let me try that. For what it's worth, the SD card is detected and I can go through all of the games.

You will most likely need to buy a smaller card. This kit does not like larger cards for some reason. 4GB cards will pretty much work. Going up in size is kind of a crapshoot. Some work. Some don't. That is why the recommended cards in the info section are 4GB. We aren't sure why its like that. Darksoft is going to try to improve compatibility with newer projects but for now I would stick to the 4 GB card to get the kit up and running. You can experiment with larger cards later if you like.

I would go buy a 4GB card and try that next.
Bought a 4GB Kingston SD card from Amazon. Still getting the black screen. Same results as before. I am able to select and flash games. On reboot, black screen.

If you are unable to get it to work you can always send it to me for intallation. If there is a kit issue there is no charge but if it is an installation problem then I will charge just a tech fee for my time.

Before that take a picture of the inside of the folders of some of the games you are trying to write. Just want to make sure it is all set up correctly.

If you are unable to get it to work you can always send it to me for intallation. If there is a kit issue there is no charge but if it is an installation problem then I will charge just a tech fee for my time.

Before that take a picture of the inside of the folders of some of the games you are trying to write. Just want to make sure it is all set up correctly.
Here's the directory structure, straight from the mega.co.nz link: https://www.evernote.com/l/AAJ1Tih5p0tCZYGhT5lbDp4A3UE8iQs0Zr8
Screenshot is from a mac, but I also downloaded and copied the same files over on windows.

I think at this point the best thing is to send it to you for diagnosis. Thanks.

Hey, sorry. I was out of town and just got back. I'll send the board back to you this week.

Works now -- most likely the culprit was the B board wasn't seated properly. I had to close up the b board, install the CPS2 clips, and then it started to work.

Back