What's new

GhaleonUnlimited

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, after getting both a Dedicated and Conversion manual for Blitz 99 and the entire guts of a Blitz 99 (JAMMA harness + I-40 board + extra connectors), I had the worst time like many before me trying to convert my 2P Blitz to a 4P Blitz w 49-way sticks. I just solved my issues, many of which I've read on forum posts a decade old, so I thought I'd leave this as a memorial to answer the issues.

Issue 1: The Blitz 99/2000 manuals (dedicated and conversion) don't match the actual I-40 board's pins for players 1 and 2 ("User 0" and "User 1", respectively)
Every I-40 board I've seen pictures of online matches mine. I've never seen one match the pinout or wire coloring as shown in the manual.

First I rewired 1P and 2P 49-way-to-I-40 connector ends to match the manual. The inputs were completely screwed up on the switch test.

I only got 1P and 2P to work on a hunch: I rewired 1P's connector end (the end that plugs into the I-40) to match my 3P (blue) connector, and then 2P's to match my 4P's (gray).
The key is different for 1P vs. 3P and 2P vs. 4P in regard to how they plug into the I-40 but following the colors pin-by-pin worked. (I just worked from the outside in when rewiring the connectors to be sure I accounted for the different key).

Issue 2: Fuses

Main/Only Fuse Needed, which plugs into I-40 board

Use this page to see if your fuse is wired right and/or has proper voltage. I also took pictures below, and it ends up that everything I did ended up being correct in how I connected it.

None of the manuals show how the fuses wire up at all.

Mystery Fuse (Fuse #2)

I have a 2nd fuse with green and red wires that is 100% from the old 4P Blitz, but I had to use a Blitz 99 conversion manual to even find the part mentioned (H-22779), even tho it's from a dedicab!
It's for the N64 memory-card port. I don't own one so I can't verify, but the manul says "Controller Port" for the part, and it also points to the N64 memory-card box that you can install on the side of the cab.

So this 2nd fuse is not necessary unless you have the N64 memory-card box thing (it seems).

Issue 3: Converting 2P OG Blitz cab to 4P

8-way sticks

You can convert a 2P Blitz to 4P Blitz 99/2000 w/ 8-way sticks, but you have to wire your own connectors to resolve to the actual sticks and buttons, since no one seems to make them, even if you buy a 3P/4P Blitz harness (which just ends in molex connectors both ways and not any quick disconnects).

Don't forget to change your dip switches to "8-way" and also "4-player".

49-way sticks
You can convert a 2P Blitz to 4P Blitz 99/2000 w/ 49-way sticks, but you need to following parts from either an actual Blitz 99/2000 conversion kit or parts from another Blitz 99/2000/Gold machine. Or you could make your own since they're just .100 molex connectors.

Make sure your dipswitches are on "49-way" and also "4-player".

Extra wires you need:
1. "Aux Latch" harness: This comes attached to the Blitz 99's Jamma harness but is not present in a 2P Blitz Jamma harness. Goes from mainboard to I-40 board, . One side is a large connector (goes to mobo), other side is only a few pins (goes to I-40). If you get the manual you could wire your own.
2. Red/Black Fuse harness: goes from Jamma harness to I-40. (Also shown below in pics).
3. My 2P cab's 49-way sticks had the +5V red wires that go to the joysticks contained in a breakout molex cable just for the +5V. So I had to remove the red wires from the connecting molexes and wire them into the larger, respective 1P and 2P stick connectors that go to the I-40.

I think those are the main issues I came across and have seen posted a zillion times without resolution on various forums. I hope that helps.

Blitz1.jpg

My I-40 board otherwise properly (?) hooked up (fuse #1 connector is top right, w red/black wires).

Blitz2.jpg

My 1P and 2P had Down + Right permanently firing because 1P and 2P's connector was wired totally wrong by default where they plug into the I-40. When the ground or +5V aren't wired right to the I-40, some of the directions will be automatically firing. Or if the fuse isn't wired or working properly, same issue with the controls firing by themselves.

Blitz3.jpg

Mystery fuse #2, which 2P Blitz does not need, for the N64 memory-card port. Part #22779

Blitz4.jpg

Blitz5.jpg

Fuse #1. I have this plugged into the I-40.

Getting 4P with 49-ways working is an insane pain but I think these might be some issues others have also had.

Last edited:
Hi all, after getting both a Dedicated and Conversion manual for Blitz 99 and the entire guts of a Blitz 99 (JAMMA harness + I-40 board + extra connectors), I had the worst time like many before me trying to convert my 2P Blitz to a 4P Blitz w 49-way sticks. I just solved my issues, many of which I've read on forum posts a decade old, so I thought I'd leave this as a memorial to answer the issues.

Issue 1: The Blitz 99/2000 manuals (dedicated and conversion) don't match the actual I-40 board's pins for players 1 and 2 ("User 0" and "User 1", respectively)
Every I-40 board I've seen pictures of online matches mine. I've never seen one match the pinout or wire coloring as shown in the manual.

First I rewired 1P and 2P 49-way-to-I-40 connector ends to match the manual. The inputs were completely screwed up on the switch test.

I only got 1P and 2P to work on a hunch: I rewired 1P's connector end (the end that plugs into the I-40) to match my 3P (blue) connector, and then 2P's to match my 4P's (gray).
The key is different for 1P vs. 3P and 2P vs. 4P in regard to how they plug into the I-40 but following the colors pin-by-pin worked. (I just worked from the outside in when rewiring the connectors to be sure I accounted for the different key).

Issue 2: Fuses

Main/Only Fuse Needed, which plugs into I-40 board

Use this page to see if your fuse is wired right and/or has proper voltage. I also took pictures below, and it ends up that everything I did ended up being correct in how I connected it.

None of the manuals show how the fuses wire up at all.

Mystery Fuse (Fuse #2)

I have a 2nd fuse with green and red wires that is 100% from the old 4P Blitz, but I had to use a Blitz 99 conversion manual to even find the part mentioned (H-22779), even tho it's from a dedicab!
It's for the N64 memory-card port. I don't own one so I can't verify, but the manul says "Controller Port" for the part, and it also points to the N64 memory-card box that you can install on the side of the cab.

So this 2nd fuse is not necessary unless you have the N64 memory-card box thing (it seems).

Issue 3: Converting 2P OG Blitz cab to 4P

8-way sticks

You can convert a 2P Blitz to 4P Blitz 99/2000 w/ 8-way sticks, but you have to wire your own connectors to resolve to the actual sticks and buttons, since no one seems to make them, even if you buy a 3P/4P Blitz harness (which just ends in molex connectors both ways and not any quick disconnects).

Don't forget to change your dip switches to "8-way" and also "4-player".

49-way sticks
You can convert a 2P Blitz to 4P Blitz 99/2000 w/ 49-way sticks, but you need to following parts from either an actual Blitz 99/2000 conversion kit or parts from another Blitz 99/2000/Gold machine. Or you could make your own since they're just .100 molex connectors.

Make sure your dipswitches are on "49-way" and also "4-player".

Extra wires you need:
1. "Aux Latch" harness: This comes attached to the Blitz 99's Jamma harness but is not present in a 2P Blitz Jamma harness. Goes from mainboard to I-40 board, . One side is a large connector (goes to mobo), other side is only a few pins (goes to I-40). If you get the manual you could wire your own.
2. Red/Black Fuse harness: goes from Jamma harness to I-40. (Also shown below in pics).
3. My 2P cab's 49-way sticks had the +5V red wires that go to the joysticks contained in a breakout molex cable just for the +5V. So I had to remove the red wires from the connecting molexes and wire them into the larger, respective 1P and 2P stick connectors that go to the I-40.

I think those are the main issues I came across and have seen posted a zillion times without resolution on various forums. I hope that helps.

Blitz1.jpg

My I-40 board otherwise properly (?) hooked up (fuse #1 connector is top right, w red/black wires).

Blitz2.jpg

My 1P and 2P had Down + Right permanently firing because 1P and 2P's connector was wired totally wrong by default where they plug into the I-40. When the ground or +5V aren't wired right to the I-40, some of the directions will be automatically firing. Or if the fuse isn't wired or working properly, same issue with the controls firing by themselves.

Blitz3.jpg

Mystery fuse #2, which 2P Blitz does not need, for the N64 memory-card port. Part #22779

Blitz4.jpg

Blitz5.jpg

Fuse #1. I have this plugged into the I-40.

Getting 4P with 49-ways working is an insane pain but I think these might be some issues others have also had.
if anyone was unaware, www.arcaderepair.net is my barely maintained repository of maybe potentially useful information. my 4P control panel games got moved with the panels off, and my Sportstation sat in storage for several months and I had major issues hooking everything back up. once I figured it out, then I took a picture. I'm glad it's been helpful to some people.

Back