What's new
I believe there is a way to dump/flash through the CPU sub-board connector, some people have discussed it, though the information hasn't been made publicly available.
Interesting, this is something I would definitely like to look into, especially to dump my own boards or reflash them with a complete game version 🤔

Interesting, this is something I would definitely like to look into, especially to dump my own boards or reflash them with a complete game version 🤔
i remember reading in an article that dates back to the launch of namco system 11 (just before the launch of playstation 1) namco was bragging about the ability of loading the game code quickly onto the motherboard and how that would make life easier for them as developpers. it was on archive.org. i even noticed while trying to make a schematic for this system, that there was a R/W signal going to the flash chips where it enables there WE pin on those flashes (why would a game modify its code during play!!). this goes in tandem with what namco mentioned in that interview ! i guess this might what you are looking for...

Attachments

• edge magazine.png
    edge magazine.png
    782.8 KB · Views: 41
  • edge magazine.png
    edge magazine.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 44
thx a lot thats an honor to be able to contribute to mame
it's appreciated. it's actually surprising how many region variations or revisions exist that are undumped.

I've taken to dumping any board that crosses my hands with socketed chips and I'd say a good 5-10% of the time I find something undumped.

Very cool! I just received one of these in the mail today -- SOP/TSOP desoldering is beyond my ability, so I'm happy you were able to save me the trouble and risk!

IMG_20240106_231853_504.jpg

Very cool! I just received one of these in the mail today -- SOP/TSOP desoldering is beyond my ability, so I'm happy you were able to save me the trouble and risk!

IMG_20240106_231853_504.jpg
surface mount desoldering is easy but those tiny traces are easy to lift too, one of the traces was gone while i desoldered the flashes :D hh, enjoy your game

Back