What's new
For Sale
The other problem with SD Gecko is when loading from Action Replay you need to use a older (4gb size max) SD card or you can't boot from it.
Then once booted into Swiss you'll need to swap SD cards to something larger (actually useful/large enough to hold a game image).
Its a total pain in the ass, and would be so much better if the Gecko was only the boot vector, and we had storage/images elsewhere (serial port).
Assuming you don't have a WASP (so you can't just direct boot to Swiss), you could just install a cheap XenoGC chip on your drive and burn Swiss to a (mini) DVD, then use SD Gecko for any homebrew.

you could just install a cheap XenoGC chip on your drive and burn Swiss to a (mini) DVD, then use SD Gecko for any homebrew.
I do have a Xeno chip installed, but I can't record the miniDV media GC uses so they are bootable.
Only person I know who was able to burn me bootable discs had to use an ancient external SCSI drive that supported 1x record speed.

Gamecube just sucks, I'm done with that hunk of shit soon as my GBA Consolizer arrives.
That's all I used it for was GBA, for actual GC/Wii games I use Nintendon't homebrew software on my Wii U.

Sold my component cable already for 180$.
What a terrible system, def one of Nintendo's worst IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could just install a cheap XenoGC chip on your drive and burn Swiss to a (mini) DVD, then use SD Gecko for any homebrew.
I do have a Xeno chip installed, but I can't record the miniDV media GC uses so they are bootable.Only person I know who was able to burn me bootable discs had to use an ancient external SCSI drive that supported 1x record speed.

Gamecube just sucks, I'm done with that hunk of shit soon as my GBA Consolizer arrives.
That's all I used it for was GBA, for actual GC/Wii games I use Nintendon't homebrew software on my Wii U.

I never had any issues with them using a standard SATA burner, but I always used the slowest write speed supported and used "Duplicator Grade" Philips 8cm discs. This was like six or seven years ago though, the only time I use the optical drive on my GameCube now is for Eternal Darkness since it requires audio streaming.

That said, the GC optical drive can definitely be picky. I could never get mine to read full sized DVD discs, but to be honest I didn't try that hard.

A new version of Swiss just came out which I believe had quite a few advancements including faster sd access. Maybe I misunderstood the reports via retrorgb and the page for the Swiss project.

The serial port (underside) sd card adapter is handy because it frees up the front ports for other stuff.

Really I am happy with backup DVD discs instead of wasp or wode, I don't even play the gc enough to make any of this worth it, but I'm hoping to play more one day with the kiddies :) or just keep a nice collection.

Edit:
Tweaking the DVD pot helps a lot with burnt discs.
I ran out of time to request a refund via PayPal, you have to do that within 60 days.

I find this statement/claim odd, “This update also allows for better game performance via SD card, which at this point pretty much makes ODE’s pointless: Swiss + an SD card can be used on unmodified consoles and is a plug-and-play solution!“

Taken from: https://www.retrorgb.com/gamecube-serial-port-sd-adapter-swiss-updates.html

However reading the linked change log for Swiss claims this:

The compatibility/speed is the same as using an SD card via the front memory card ports. The main benefit is that it leaves the 2 front slots free for a memory card and any other peripherals you might require in games.“

Taken from: https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/releases

I own two working ODE’s and there is —no way in hell— that the new version of Swiss loading files off an SD adapter comes close to the loading speed, nor game performance of the ODE. Once again, be careful about what you believe on the Internetz... or you’ll have to deal with audio stuttering games, games with no sound and graphics glitches 50% or more of the library.

But it is a $3 solution and which is actually available compared to those WASP’s and WiiKey Fusions....

Absolutely agree with you. But it doesn’t “make ODE’s pointless”, which was the reasoning behind my post/PSA.

Yes I agree to that too ;)

Do you have the ability to test side-by-side with WASP and GeckoSD with latest Swiss?

I will do so tomorrow and report back. Any game in particular? Forget anything with FMV / streaming video as that’s definitely not going to work.

Will do... however the photo / quote you posted, isn't loading from a standard SD Gecko (Memory Card Adapter) though, as that's what I would actually be testing.

True, can’t confirm myself, but it SHOULD be the same bus in the end, with the same speed.

still good to test/compare with SD Gecko vs ODE though :)

Let me clarify, I sent Pascal the screenshot above. The dude from that screenshot just soldered the memory card reader PCB to the serial IO solder points on the mainboard, so basically the same as the serial port adapter. And yes, in the end they are all on the same bus. He claims with the new swiss version everything is free of stutter.

i read on twitter the GC WODE is coming anyway, i signed up to be notified about it when they're in stock.
also saw a picture of carcinogenSDA playing resident evil on a GC with the WODE in it, at a recent retro gathering in USA somewhere.

still keen to hear how the outcome of the new tests go. I believe a few new read techniques in the swiss code is what all the fuss is about.

I do have a Xeno chip installed, but I can't record the miniDV media GC uses so they are bootable.Only person I know who was able to burn me bootable discs had to use an ancient external SCSI drive that supported 1x record speed.

I have some blank dvd-r minis laying around if you want me to burn you a swiss boot disk. My plextor will burn/read anything I throw at it.

i read on twitter the GC WODE is coming anyway, i signed up to be notified about it when they're in stock.
also saw a picture of carcinogenSDA playing resident evil on a GC with the WODE in it, at a recent retro gathering in USA somewhere.

still keen to hear how the outcome of the new tests go. I believe a few new read techniques in the swiss code is what all the fuss is about.
What website did you sign up to be notified at?

Very nice!
Might be to early to tell, but is it expected to work with all games? So also Eternal Darkness etc.?

Back