What's new

robbiederhase

Student
Reaction score
Howdy, everyone.

Was hoping somebody might have some insight for an issue I do not see being discussed... basically anywhere..
So I have an MVH 4 (the kind with the mesh shielding, not the solid metal plate) 4 slot in my MVS and any time I try pressing the select game button, the next game will crash into the green screen and then try to reset itself over and over.
Both games will load fine the first time around but after trying to do another cycle the crashing will start.

I only saw one other person talking about this issue and they were told just to try cleaning their pins.
Which I tried of course with still no luck.
Was thinking this might be a voltage issue?
But no clue because I recently tweaked the power supply and it was getting exactly what it needed.
I've tested this initially with one of those newly produced repro mvs carts (the kind with the red/orange/or yellow pcb) with MS4 and it would crash when hitting select.
which I chalked up to being a repro and was then backed by the seller telling me they're only for use in single slots. But he honestly could just be making excuses.
However I just got an original FF2 (double checked the pcb - it's legit) and it's giving me the same problems. I should mention the cart I run in slot 1 is a NEOSD (non pro)
But I wouldn't figure that'd cause any issues either. All other slots are empty when testing this as well.
Normally I would just be running the NEOSD solo in the 4 slot, because this cab I bought way back when didn't come with any games and then not too long after got the NEOSD.
So I really only needed that. But I run a game store now and use the MVS for my business, so I've wanted to finally fill in those other slots for my guests.

Thanks much for your time and hope everyone is having a great weekend.

In addition to cleaning the slots/carts, have you cleared the backup SRAM and re-arranged different carts in different slots?

In addition to cleaning the slots/carts, have you cleared the backup SRAM and re-arranged different carts in different slots?
went ahead and cleaned everything a second time for good measure, cleared the SRAM through the full hard dip on method, and then moved the cartridges in several different configurations with still no luck... thanks much for your suggestion regardless.

over the weekend I did remember a time where (early on in owning the cab and was very inexperienced with the hardware) I tried putting three different 161 carts as well as the NEOSD in each slot to try a full game select set-up. maybe this messed something up horribly?
i can't imagine it'd be too devastating (especially since the board has continued to work perfectly fine just playing a single game) but i of course learned very quickly buying three of these carts was a waste of time lol.

Okay, breakthrough.
It seems after filling all 4 slots, loading a new game on the NEOSD, and another deep clean it has somehow fixed itself.
I got a a chunk of other legit carts in the mail so i filled all the slots out with them and they would cycle perfectly fine with the game select.
But when putting the NEOSD in with the other new ones they would fail to cycle through game select until I loaded a new game into the NEOSD's memory.

Odd occurrences however...
Games that were loaded into the NEOSD while the newly produced MS4 cartridge was in seem as if they may have been corrupted?
When trying to load back in games that were loaded during the MS4 cartridge being in, they continue to fail the cycle.
Which I think were just Twinkle Star, Galaxy Fight, and MS3...

Figured I'd leave this info here in the open for anyone else who may stumble across this same specific issue.
Going to try and format the microsd with fresh versions of the games and if there's still any issues I'll attempt a fresh install of the newest NEOSD firmware as well.

Okay, breakthrough.
It seems after filling all 4 slots, loading a new game on the NEOSD, and another deep clean it has somehow fixed itself.
I got a a chunk of other legit carts in the mail so i filled all the slots out with them and they would cycle perfectly fine with the game select.
But when putting the NEOSD in with the other new ones they would fail to cycle through game select until I loaded a new game into the NEOSD's memory.

Odd occurrences however...
Games that were loaded into the NEOSD while the newly produced MS4 cartridge was in seem as if they may have been corrupted?
When trying to load back in games that were loaded during the MS4 cartridge being in, they continue to fail the cycle.
Which I think were just Twinkle Star, Galaxy Fight, and MS3...

Figured I'd leave this info here in the open for anyone else who may stumble across this same specific issue.
Going to try and format the microsd with fresh versions of the games and if there's still any issues I'll attempt a fresh install of the newest NEOSD firmware as well.
No luck on either replacing the roms or doing a fresh NEOSD install. Still crashes. But for a few attempts after it would just switch to a black screen.
Then eventually went back to crashing...
No clue what the problem could be.

The only game that isn't working is Galaxy Fight so I guess I'll just have to get an actual cart... ┐(´ー`)┌

Do this:
1) Clean the slots by wrapping an old credit card with paper towel, then douse it with DEOXIT. Nothing else works as good. Insert the credit card in and out of the slots.
2) Clean the edge connectors of the carts with Deoxit-soaked Q-tips.
3) Are you using a multimeter to test voltage? Test at the edge connector. Should be 5.0v. If still crashing, replace the power supply with a brand new one. A power supply can still be bad even if the voltage look good.

If all of that fails, your motherboard is broken. (or specifically the NeoSD is, or whatever unofficial carts you're running)

The NeoSD doesn't really play nice with other carts, I thought. It's best to just keep it in slot 1 in a multi-slot system.

It doesn't surprise me that a new batch of games cleared things up. It's usually the combination of games causing a problem somehow.

Back