What's new
Both Mushikings games still not booting,
Same here, both games hang at "NOW LOADING..." even when holding 1P Start.
I haven't tested this yet since my NAOMI setup is in storage at the moment but I would recommend checking all the usual suspects:

1. test with different I/O boards (Sega JVS Type1 and Type 3 are the most highly compatible across all NAOMI games)
2. make sure your coin meters are spoofed (or you have actual coin meters connected)... there are a handful of games that wont work unless this is done.
3. in the system menu play around with the cabinet settings. some games wont boot unless you have the monitor orientation and number of players set correctly here (other games set it automatically).
4. try to get into test mode and see if there are other settings that need to be changed. sometimes you need to disable hardware or features in there that will prevent the game from booting if not found.
5. try both 15Khz and 31Khz modes... there are a handful of games that will ONLY boot in 31KHz mode.

and I'm sure you saw it but in-case anyone missed it. Darksoft said these games will ONLY work when the bios is set to the JP region.

the version that everyone uses for from the mame dump is bad.
Can you elaborate on that ?These images are based on the original decap, are you saying the original decap is bad ?Moving along these are of course not exactly the original images this is how my EPROM writer "likes" them padded to 16 KiB and with the PIC config at the end. I can post the original 2KiB images if that is interesting and I can share the settings for the PIC configuration in the programmer.
only in like several posts all over this forum. the code from mame has dilbert flaws. i posted the code fixed in serval places on this forum.
what exactly flaws ?
I see your code is just 2 byte different
Compare files neetboot_mame.pic и NETBOOT_SOURCE.BIN
000003BC: DE D8
000003CE: EE E8

and further key and binary name is at different offsets, perhaps because of above changes ?

Last edited:
the decap was not pure. it was flawed and not good

i spent along time geting this code fixed. i dont know why people still post the flawed decaped version. somone edited it and added flaws
This is getting interesting, you are stating that the original decaps where the PIC was decapped and the image was read out is bad ?

You might not be aware of this but the decap was done by two different teams but the images are the same except the boot name and the key.

You are stating that SEGA wrote the bad code ?

Please explain the flaws you found in the original SEGA code and had to fix.

BTW: The disassembled code that you provided a link to is not what is in MAME

no... someone added errors. use a search function i layed this out in alot of threads. the code i provided is fixed without the errors like commas that dont belong or des keys taht did have the right answer number. im not going to explain it over and over search works

the mame code has errors someone added. it could not have been a decompiling issue.

the mame code has errors someone added. it could not have been a decompiling issue.
what "MAME code" you are referring to ? MAME doesn't have any PIC source code, but only binaries included in romset.
my crystal ball says you probably took some bad/wrong disassembly and call it "MAME code"

What @werejag is referring to is this thread:

NAOMI / Triforce / Chihiro Netboot Security PIC Source Code

That is not MAME code, that is disassembly from the PIC dump in MAME. Maybe the disassembler was broken who knows.

Why would anyone want to compile the code and burn it to a PIC when all you need to do is to burn the original binary image ?

Changing the bootloader name and DES key in the original binary image is trivial.

The binaries I posted have NOTHING to do with any disassembly, they are the original SEGA binary PIC images which have the DES key set to zero.

he binaries I posted have NOTHING to do with any disassembly, they are the original SEGA binary PIC images which have the DES key set to zero.
@rtw Can you please post your burn settings, if any are needed, for the binaries you posted.

I will be using a TopMax 2 with its software to try these.

Thanks.

BTW - Thanks go out to all of you that have shared their info/files on this. I have used Werejag's hex to burn zero key pics before without issues. He is actually the 1st person to actually freely share this stuff with me when everyone else was looking to sell them, lol, nothing wrong with that. Of course I always forget to check for these types of things in Mame X/

So can we have a thread with the binaries and the burn settings posted for everyone to easily find it :D

Last edited:
he binaries I posted have NOTHING to do with any disassembly, they are the original SEGA binary PIC images which have the DES key set to zero.
@rtw Can you please post your burn settings, if any are needed, for the binaries you posted.
Sure @Derick2k in the all the excitement I kind of forgot about that part :D

pic16f628a_config.png

Granted I'm not good at this, but I can't seem to get @rtw's code to work on a Top3000 with topall 6.26. Maybe some novice mistake?

Selected the chip PIC16F628A
Loaded the ABC_BIN_000...NET.bin
"File:format .bin binary"
"Chose Char: Normal"
"Fill with: FF"
"Buffer Start: 0000"

Erase ALL
OSC HS
WDTEN 0:Disable
PWRTE: 0:Enable
MCLRE 1:Enable
BODEN 0:Disable
LVP 0:Disable
CPD 0:Enable
CP 0:Enable

Those seem to match up, but I get error 33 when trying this bin. Shrug? The code I posted earlier (or in another thread) seems to work fine. Baffled.

@rtw awesome. I just left for the day but will try tomorrow. i assume that link has new files from your previous link. Otherwise setting are right yeah?

For whatever reason this PIC has just been a challenge for me. There are a lot of threads on a lot of forums but none seem as definitive as your "actual Sega code". There should be a sticky with whatever BIN is proven bulletproof, with settings too! If I get it to work I'll submit the process for my top3000

I don't get where .bin files come in here, I use a complied hex file with top and it works fine.
over my head certainly. Yeah your pic was fine, and I was able to copy a few more.

not the ones floating around the web. unless you telling me you decompiled it yourself

There are a lot of threads on a lot of forums but none seem as definitive as your "actual Sega code".
probably because he is one of persons who making things "appear in the web", and directly involved in dumping, research, reverse-engineer, etc kind of stuff. so he is definitely know what he is talking about, unlike some other persons here.

@werejag please, just stop it.
no sane persons decompile or disassemble DIMM PICs, but instead hexedit DES key and BIN name in original binary dump. people did this countless number of times and it works flawlessly.

Back