What's new
Something is always better than nothing ;).

Pretty depressing to see the prices of AES carts these days. I knew they were pricey for a long time now. But not $5k,$10k, $20,000 pricey. Dont wanna sell my car to play AES LOL.
Just wish we had a larger community of flash cart options. Even the 161-1 carts are fetching hundreds now.
The AES 161 in 1 carts are around $100. They are actually down in price from years ago.

US $99.00 | New Arrival Arcade Cassette 161 in 1 NEO GEO AES multi games Cartridge NeoGeo 161 in 1 AES version for Family AES Game Console
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtLooLS

161 in 1 is good for only a few games because most of them are useless clones/bootleg and have glitches or don't work

Not tried the home cart version but the MVS 161 has about 90 original games and they all work fine, I thought it was quite a bargain for the £50 I paid for it.

To get the best out of it you need the Razoola Picknmix Bios V4.

161 in 1 is good for only a few games because most of them are useless clones/bootleg and have glitches or don't work
I disagree.

Combined with unibios, it's a great value.

The 161 in 1 has most of the good games on it, and they seem fine to me.

I use the 161 in 1 more than the flash carts and I don't experience anything like you describe.

Can you elaborate on which games are so glitched out that they are "useless"?

I'm not into fighting games; I don't care about those, if that's your issue with it.

With pick n mix, it also has a great attract mode.

Pick n mix also adds high score save support.

There’s been several revisions of the 161 in 1 carts. Some revisions are better than others. Issues have included corrupt sprites, music problems across the games and Puzzle Bobble 2, Aero Fighters 3 & Mark of the Wolves crashing. Full details on problematic games are here:

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=161-in-1_Series_1

For me personally, the biggest flaw with the 161 in 1 is that it’s missing some of the best games on the platform such as Windjammers, Shock Troopers 1, NAM-1975, Twinkle Star Sprites and Metal Slug 5.

There’s been several revisions of the 161 in 1 carts. Some revisions are better than others. Issues have included corrupt sprites, music problems across the games and Puzzle Bobble 2, Aero Fighters 3 & Mark of the Wolves crashing. Full details on problematic games are here:

https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=161-in-1_Series_1

For me personally, the biggest flaw with the 161 in 1 is that it’s missing some of the best games on the platform such as Windjammers, Shock Troopers 1, NAM-1975, Twinkle Star Sprites and Metal Slug 5.
Thanks. I'm aware of that page.

Nothing on that page would make the cart "useless". I'm not saying you said it would (make it useless), I'm speaking to the broader conversation going on.

The list of issues is small in comparison to the number of games. Unless you really love 1 character in motw, everything can be worked around.

No doubt some good games are missing but there are 100 unique games that end up costing around $1 (or less) each.

I don't see how anyone can claim there's no value in the 161 n 1. If it only played 10 games well, it would still be worth the $100. Where are you getting 10 unique games to play on your AES at $10 per game? Nowhere.

Even if you buy MVS games, you still need an expensive MVS to AES adapter. The cheapest one I've ever seen was $65, and I've never actually seen it; I just know it exists, but supply is extremely limited. MVS to AES Adapters are also not issue free, either.

For anyone just starting out with AES (or MVS) the 161 in 1 is, pretty much, a must have.

Nothing on that page would make the cart "useless". I'm not saying you said it would (make it useless), I'm speaking to the broader conversation going on.

The list of issues is small in comparison to the number of games. Unless you really love 1 character in motw, everything can be worked around.

No doubt some good games are missing but there are 100 unique games that end up costing around $1 (or less) each.

I don't see how anyone can claim there's no value in the 161 n 1. If it only played 10 games well, it would still be worth the $100. Where are you getting 10 unique games to play on your AES at $10 per game? Nowhere.

Even if you buy MVS games, you still need an expensive MVS to AES adapter. The cheapest one I've ever seen was $65, and I've never actually seen it; I just know it exists, but supply is extremely limited. MVS to AES Adapters are also not issue free, either.

For anyone just starting out with AES (or MVS) the 161 in 1 is, pretty much, a must have.

Yeah it’s all good till you want to play windjammers, then you go buy a multi and sell the 161.

Yeah it’s all good till you want to play windjammers, then you go buy a multi and sell the 161.

or you still play the 161 in 1, when not playing Wind Jammers, because it has some of the benefits I listed above.

or you still play the 161 in 1, when not playing Wind Jammers, because it has some of the benefits I listed above.

But that would require me to change out the cart. I just sold the 161 to put the money towards a multi. I don’t leave the aes on in attract mode. For mvs maybe that looks prettier.

I just got my first AES a few months ago and have been waiting for a flashcart to buy or be produced but it seems like it may be awhile. The 161 cart since I really want to play my AES and experience the Neo Geo for the first time seems like good intro way for me. Any help suggestion/guidance which 161 cart to buy? I don't want to get something that will mess up my system. Thank You

I just got my first AES a few months ago and have been waiting for a flashcart to buy or be produced but it seems like it may be awhile. The 161 cart since I really want to play my AES and experience the Neo Geo for the first time seems like good intro way for me. Any help suggestion/guidance which 161 cart to buy? I don't want to get something that will mess up my system. Thank You
I doubt any of them will mess up your system but, if you read higher in the thread, there are people who disagree. Up to you to decide how you feel. I don't think anyone's seen any actual damage caused by a 161 in 1. Even the video that is casually referenced proved nothing.

I have the cart that I posted earlier. Many sellers sell this cart.

Here it is again:

US $99.00 | New Arrival Arcade Cassette 161 in 1 NEO GEO AES multi games Cartridge NeoGeo 161 in 1 AES version for Family AES Game Console

I doubt any of them will mess up your system but, if you read higher in the thread, there are people who disagree. Up to you to decide how you feel. I don't think anyone's seen any actual damage caused by a 161 in 1. Even the video that is casually referenced proved nothing.

I have the cart that I posted earlier. Many sellers sell this cart.

Here it is again:

Great thank you so much

Will this be distributed in Australia like the rest of the Darksoft line? I was very disappointed when I saw the MVS but no AES on djsheep's site :(

Will this be distributed in Australia like the rest of the Darksoft line? I was very disappointed when I saw the MVS but no AES on djsheep's site :(
Of course. When the time comes and there’s carts made and available the store will have them.

The MVS is just there as a placeholder, I’ll add the AES :)

Of course. When the time comes and there’s carts made and available the store will have them.

The MVS is just there as a placeholder, I’ll add the AES :)
Awesome! Good to know, thanks! :D I thought it might have to do with availability.

My two poor AES consoles have been boxed up too long. I still kick myself for not starting to buy AES carts when I was at uni in Japan in 2006/07 and later living there. Christ, they were so cheap! 2016 was not a good time to jump in, heh.

I've sell several AES games to buy one of this and I've seen that is out of stock! ;(

Any plans of restock in 2023?

Thanks!

Would love to purchase one of these carts. I don't have much interest in the NeoSD/Pro even if it was in stock, and I'm surely not paying eBay prices for one. The world needs another run of Darksoft carts now more than ever! ;)

Back