What's new

Moebius

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me assess the damage on an A board and how serious of an issue it is. Tonight I tried powering on a minigun only to have it start sparking, nothing seemed to happen but I noticed as I went to put my boards away I heard a rattling from my A board. I decided to check the both of them just to make sure nothing was wrong, B board is perfectly fine but opening the A board revealed this. I can't 100% confirm if this was caused by the minigun powering on incorrectly but I had never noticed rattling before so I have to assume it did. From my understanding these caps seem to be related mostly to aspects of sound and graphic. Is the board usable in this state or would I need someone to repair this cap? As for the mark near the fan in the second image I'm not sure what exactly this is. I have to assume this was there even before I owned it but am unsure.

Attachments

• 20210702_230949.jpg
    20210702_230949.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210702_231819.jpg
    20210702_231819.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 105
clean the soot off with some alcahol and see if the board runs o.k.
you can get the part number from one of the other blue tantalum caps

T
clean the soot off with some alcahol and see if the board runs o.k.
you can get the part number from one of the other blue tantalum caps
Thank you, do have advice for how to apply the alcohol without damaging anything else? Fortunately I was able to recover the cap inside so I can just refer to that for the part number.

just put some isopropyl alcahol on a cotton swab or a tissue - it wont harm any parts.

Only semi-related, but if you find there's any really stuck on grime while you're in there, I usually keep a soft-bristled toothbrush in one of those travel containers that I use /only/ for isopropyl on pcbs. Also, If you haven't already, since you have your boards cracked open, probably a good time to go ahead and swap out your old crusty jet-noise fan and give it the infinikey treatment to boot. :)

Here's the fan I like to use in mine: https://www.amazon.com/Gelid-Silent6-Black-White-FN-SX06-38/dp/B008S1HNPS

And, of course, the infinikeys: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/infinikey-cps2.7021/

Back