What's new
Hopefully this is the right place to ask. Around a week ago or so I got my HAS which I am using with my Framemeister + MVS (via Scart adapter with sync stripper). During the first few days I had absolutely no problems, but since accidentally resetting the FM settings every few minutes or so I keep getting a black screen for 2-3 seconds. I have tried with both SYNC off and auto.

Sync level is 9 (which seems to be default for the FM). Any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks!

I've adjusted the settings to the correct channel. The issue with the picture is that it's BLURRY, not that's it's too bright or anything. It's very very blurry, you can't even see any details. I've already oredered 75ohm bnc terminator and I hope these terminators can resolve the blurry issue
Does the BVM work fine with other consoles/boards? to discard the possibility that the problem is the monitor itself.
I've hooked up Atomiswave pcb via HAS, it still shows flickering distortion at top part
2cOsNAp.jpg

cmr3imG.jpg

kfltikV.jpg

So i've thought perhaps it could be the issue of my monitor. I hooked up my computer mainboard to GeFenPro scaler (output to BNC cable) and hook that up to my BVM's HD-SDI BNC port. After some quick testing, images come up alright.
gQS5bXg.jpg

4QSXfU5.jpg

pdsWLgf.jpg

gKYBERB.jpg

2WF4hvg.jpg

So there could be one of these scenario

1) Analog RGB board is broken

2) BVM Monitor is broken

3) HAS supergun or HAS RGB cable is not working as intended.

I'm just not sure what to do. I will test my GameCube tomorrow to see if the Analog RGB board is broken or not. If the GameCube shows up fine, then it means HAS Supergun is likely the cause.

Last edited:
At least you know the BVM works fine. When you test the GCN make sure you test the RGB+Sync signal, not the composite video or component. If that fails too, I strongly suggest following the advice given above and use termination.

I really suspect the monitor's ability to do RGB from that card.
Without another RGB source however you currently have no way of testing that.

Report back with the results from the Gamecube.
I believe it too will have a sync problem just like the HAS.

I didn't need to use 75ohm terminators, but again I had a PVM not a BVM.
To me the image appears as if the sync line was not connected at all.

PVM is more user friendly in this regard as it has the automatic termination. BVM on the other hand is the most professional equipment and requires a bit more preparation to get things right. Similar issue here - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57415 means that the GCN will not answer the question where the real problem is, unless you terminate the signal.

Just realised that I can't test using GameCube because my gamecube only comes with component RCA cable...

Then I've even tried to reseat the RGB Analog card but it does not help at all.... so my wild guess is that my RGB Analog Adaptor is broken....
I might need to buy another RGB Analog adaptor

if it was a pvm, buy a rca to bnc adapter and plug it in to the video connector. Unless you want to spend $150~250 for the component cables, then you can plug it to the rgb connector and remove the sync.

Are the boards confirmed working on other monitors/superguns? Either way, you're going to absolutely need the terminators for any BVM, so your best bet is to wait for those before doing anything else.

You could test the gamecube on it with RCA -> BNC adapters which cost only a few cents each. But this would be testing if that board is working fine with component, not RGB (although it's unlikely that if the board worked fine for one it wouldn't work fine for the other).

If you find out that it was that specific card that is broken you could always use the other cards next to it instead of replacing that one.... but you'd need something like an extron RGB interface to convert RGBS from the HAS to RGsB since the other analogue cards do not have a separate sync input.

It's also a long shot but I'm curious- try removing your entire setup (both the arcade boards/HAS/and power supply) off the top of your BVM and put it on the floor and see if that changes anything. Also, test without the undamned USB encoders connected.

Apparently the BVM has a function called "VCR Mode" or "AFC Mode" which helped a few guys with similar/the same issue - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57961
I didn't read a BVM instruction manual, because I don't own this monitor, but I bet it has some guidelines there on how to handle various input signals.

Hi Guys..

I have a BVM-20F1 and a BVM-A14F5M (Hi.Res.), I also have two HAS's, the old one with the BNC-SCART->SCART-DIN8 cable and the new one with the new RGB cables..

If you give me some time, I can run some tests.. right now my priority is to order my game room, everything looks now like a mess and I can't even pysicaly reach the monitors with all the arcade stuff lying on the ground (MVS*s*, Naomi*s*, Lindbergh*s*, TX2*s*....) :D :D

Reactions: RGB
checked my bvm. Doesn't have an option for the vcr mode. Can't find it in the extended menu.

Well I did some tests with my bmv20f1, I have 4 75ohm terminators (rgb and sync) and it works nicely.

If I remove the terminators then it works as well, but I need to turn brightness down... (Which seem logical)

I don't see any sync problems whatsoever.

Reactions: RGB
Well I did some tests with my bmv20f1, I have 4 75ohm terminators (rgb and sync) and it works nicely.

If I remove the terminators then it works as well, but I need to turn brightness down... (Which seem logical)

I don't see any sync problems whatsoever.
Can I haz link where you bought them and how to replace them please.

@RGB

I have your new BNC cable in my BVM, I would like to be able to connect scart consoles as well, without having to disconnect the bnc part, what kind of scart-db15 cable can I use that is compatible with your connector ?

The cable would need to be custom made I guess. I'll give you the pinout when I'm back from holidays.

Finally tracked one down. A member on the neo Geo forums sold me his for 120$ shipped. Never used. Now I'm just waiting for the 8pin mini din to scart and my scart to component adapter.

Any chance you have more Saturn to neo Geo adapters?

@deibit - the pinout of the DB15 connector in my cable is as follows:

1 - Red
2 - Green
3 - Blue
6-11 - GND
13 - Sync

@ObeyMyEgo - congrats :) I see it's the v2 from last year, nice.

I still have two more Sega Saturn to NeoGeo controller adapters.

Back