What's new

VenomXL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s pretty much it. Lol.

I want to grab the Cave ones but I ideally don’t want bootlegs that will act up.

None of them are legit - the Cave games were never released officially as PGM carts. All three games were originally stand-alone boards with the game data and PGM hardware on the same PCB.

Your best bet for trouble-free carts is to get a set produced with the @Fluffy PCBs IMHO. I think @GC8TECH produces them to order for folks.

Every single cave cartridge is a bootleg from somewhere. The original cave pgm boards are all-in-one pcbs, not carts.

The first conversions were from arcademodbios, who developed the bootleg code, then more recently there’s been very heavy volume out of china. These are usually knights of valor carts that have been converted.

Fluffy’s repro pcbs are also running the “bootleg” code.

The best in my opinion are fluffy pcbs. Since they use all 5v parts you don’t have to worry about properly installed power level shifters or other shoddy conversion work.

I would also add that the 3 Cave games and a PGM board are so inexpensive from Sheep Nova for example it’s a crime not to have a set.

I used to own all 3 on original pcb and see no difference when playing on the PGM board.

I also have fluffy carts.
The IGS motherboard cart connector is the problem though, cause that shit is garbage and ”acts up” a lot. Have two mobos, both sortof flaky
Mine have been ok but now that I have written this I bet they will play up the next time I play.

The first conversions were from arcademodbios, who developed the bootleg code
Didn't he actually use Trap's code or something? I remember some drama about that

Didn't he actually use Trap's code or something? I remember some drama about that
Lol could be, I’m not sure. AMB was at least the first and only one selling conversions off his website iirc. That’s not @trap15 style.

Yeah I know there was a whole thing because he was profiting off someone else's work, and people were boycotting it. Seem to remember it being Trap but could be wrong

Interesting. I knew that some of the bootlegs had issues, I didn’t realize it was just the connector for the PGM causing it.

Apologies to anyone that worked on the cartridges, I had just figured it was a lazy cash in by someone trying to make a cheap buck, not enthusiasts making it happen, thank you for the work!

Interesting. I knew that some of the bootlegs had issues, I didn’t realize it was just the connector for the PGM causing it.

Apologies to anyone that worked on the cartridges, I had just figured it was a lazy cash in by someone trying to make a cheap buck, not enthusiasts making it happen, thank you for the work!
It's not. Stick to the Fluffy one's if you want correct sounds and to avoid other problems.

I also have fluffy carts.
The IGS motherboard cart connector is the problem though, cause that shit is garbage and ”acts up” a lot. Have two mobos, both sortof flaky
To be fair I have the same problem with 1 slot MVS boards too :( But those connectors don't seem that easy to source.

Back