What's new

XtraSmiley

Legendary
Reaction score
Today I was playing some games and realized I have 2 Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (Japanese: ダンジョンズ&ドラゴンズ シャドーオーバーミスタラ, Hepburn: Danjonzu & Doragonzu Shadō ōbā Misutara) Instead of one of each game Tower of Doom and SoM, d'oh! On top of that, my notes say I bought them years ago and they were on battery! Oh crap I thought, I need to check this out. Well, both games loaded, although the A board had no sound (quick fix, hold down the "down" button on A boards while booting, then go into menu and adjust sound) this fixed it. Then I said, aw crap, even though I don't have a way to revive them, I need to pull the batteries. Despite them fully working. Check out these codes. If these are dates, one was 28 years old and still working, while the other was 29 years old, and yup, still working!

https://ibb.co/VL1gWLY

IMG-3976.jpg

Last edited:
Do you see any indication that someone changed the batteries before? When I replaced my batteries I could see that it was already done at some point before me. I plan on changing my batteries every 5 years to be extra safe.

Do you see any indication that someone changed the batteries before? When I replaced my batteries I could see that it was already done at some point before me. I plan on changing my batteries every 5 years to be extra safe.
Yeah, the newer one was changed, but not the older one. Still, batteries that are 30 years old, still working?...

My Super Street Fighter 2 was on factory battery with the security bolt still in when I bought it - battery has since been replaced with infinikey, but 28 years is pretty good going :)

Considering how easy it is to inject keys, I don't see a reason why you should change them every five years. Seems a bit wasteful. If you keep your boards in normal room temperature, the chance of them leaking is also very small.

Considering how easy it is to inject keys, I don't see a reason why you should change them every five years. Seems a bit wasteful. If you keep your boards in normal room temperature, the chance of them leaking is also very small.
I didn't change mine, I just removed them and now the boards are dead. Temp is OK in my basement, but why take the risk? Out they come until I can get some infinikeys!

I'm slowly double checking all my boards and removing batteries.

I haven't seen an official battery replacement schedule so I thought 5 years seemed like a good plan even though I wouldn't be surprised to see one last 10 or 15 years (or 29?). And the chance of leaking may be small but it's still possible. I'm trying to keep everything original. I haven't investigated the battery-free options but I just now checked the Undamned Infinikey and I might go that route in the future.

It bothers me when I see B Boards being listed, still on their original Maxell battery. It may end up leaking everywhere in transit, or in the duration of when it is listed. A huge risk, especially with how scarce this hardware is getting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9CWbK-2HU
Yeap, there are not many left “in the wild” any more, most of them that have not been maintained will be getting ready to leak by now. I did pick up a pristine MSH A+B on original battery the other day in perfect working condition. Made sure to transport it home upside down just in case..

Yeap, there are not many left “in the wild” any more, most of them that have not been maintained will be getting ready to leak by now. I did pick up a pristine MSH A+B on original battery the other day in perfect working condition. Made sure to transport it home upside down just in case..

The community for arcade stuff here seems almost nonexistent. Mostly people just making mame cabs, but outside of that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people into this stuff where I'm at.

I had a XVSSF listed locally for almost a month, and there was very little interest. I had it priced good as well.

Back