What's new
Sorry I should have specified. I'm using Naomi.

I can't seem to get this to work. I burned the file with my GQ-4X using the settings provided. The game loads and verifies, but I get error 33 Gateway not found once the game tries to actually boot. Anything else I can try? I've tried a few different games.
You have set the jumper settings to Netboot mode on the DIMM as well ?

Yup. This is my setup.

IMG_20180912_143105.jpg

Error 33 is almost always the PIC.

You could try using transfergames.exe, since it lets you netboot without a zero pic. It can be found in gakman's repository, in the tools folder.

It's a good way to find out if your pic is faulty or not.

Last edited:
It might be the PIC, it might be programmed incorrectly.

Anyway I took the binary from the first post, burned it to a PIC16F628A and tested it on my setup, worked 100%.

Check voltages, run RAM test, check network settings.

I did the test with transfergame.exe.

edit:
when writing the device did you verify that it was erased before programming ?

@kioku25 transfergame.exe does not let you netboot without a PIC inserted.

If you use transfergame.exe without a PIC you will get:

ERROR 31

THIS GAME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY MAIN BOARD

I just verified this on my system :D

@kioku25 transfergame.exe does not let you netboot without a PIC inserted.

If you use transfergame.exe without a PIC you will get:

ERROR 31

THIS GAME IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY MAIN BOARD

I just verified this on my system :D
It's been years since I messed with those programs and my memory is a little hazy it seems.
It was the python script naomi_boot.py that ran without a zero pic and not transfergames.exe.

I can't seem to find it in gakman's repository, but the internet archive has you covered.
With python installed you only needed to run the following command: python naomi_netboot.py gamename.bin.

It's been years since I messed with those programs and my memory is a little hazy it seems.It was the python script naomi_boot.py that ran without a zero pic and not transfergames.exe.

I can't seem to find it in gakman's repository, but the internet archive has you covered.
With python installed you only needed to run the following command: python naomi_netboot.py gamename.bin.
This was done by tmbinc a long time ago.

https://debugmo.de/2009/04/triforce-tools/

His script is a straight implementation of transfergame.exe in Python.

edit:
checking the python code there is an explicit function to write a zero key to the system.

Last edited:
I was able to netboot with the python script no problem. So something must be wrong with the way I am burning the pic.

ABC_BIN_0000000000000000_NET.bin

Confirmed working on a top3000 with settings:
2mfx6b6.jpg
under windows 10

note: on windows 10 the gui freezes for a moment and says (not responding) but just wait it comes back once is done.

GQ- 4X4 has no issues
2e0l7p2.jpg

no errors with PiForce Web

Thank you rtw :thumbup:

I was looking into why I am still having issues burning a Chihiro Netboot Capable Zero PIC (as opposed to a CF Zero PIC) and I ran across this seemingly interesting comment in the code disassembly at http://pastebin.com/Wn33TXMk

"When programmed with a Wellon VP-280 or pickit2 - it is confirmed working like the original PIC"

I have a PICKit 2, and when I tried to flash an older PIC16C621A or PIC16C622 like many of the original Sega Keys are. I noticed that I was unable to use the PICKit 2, it actually only supports the replacement chip that everyone latched on to PIC16F628A since it was binary and pin compatible per http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/NAOMI_security_PIC

I am not sure if this is *useful* information, but I thought it may help unravel why some folks are having issues with some of their failed attempts. FWIW the VP-280 lists all three PIC16F628A, PIC16C621A and PIC16C622 as supported. http://www.weilei.com/VP-280list.htm#MICROCHIP

Attachments

• PicKit2.jpeg
    PicKit2.jpeg
    773.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Pickit.png
    Pickit.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 64094666c12329b8e4ab5bbbb806e5c1c2c870ebf839292e77b2f3f8a6434069.jpg
    64094666c12329b8e4ab5bbbb806e5c1c2c870ebf839292e77b2f3f8a6434069.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 137
I made a file some years back called 5 abc Net or something similar. I'm sure I shared that one. It was not new I simply wanted to make it myself.

I'll have to check my troublesome chihiro keys. Thx dude.

I had a real hard time finding a zero PIC that would netboot my Chihiro type 3. Mitsurugi burned me two before he found a working one and I had bought two non working ones from a previous seller as well.

I can confirm using trmm's top3000 settings worked for net booting chihiro type 3 with piforce-web. Tested with Virtua Cop 3. Thank you

Last edited:
@zeruel85 can you load this into you programmer and show us how the bits are set ?
I'm using a GQ4x4 programmer and using the binary file I set the config bits (0x3F82, the same as your hex file.) and I got Error 33. I then tried to set the config bits to what trmm showed above and still got the Error 33.

However, once I tried your hex file everything started working.

I then looked at the buffer and noticed the GQ software is byteswapping the data, is there any reason NOT to use the hex file you provided?

@zeruel85 can you load this into you programmer and show us how the bits are set ?
I'm using a GQ4x4 programmer and using the binary file I set the config bits (0x3F82, the same as your hex file.) and I got Error 33. I then tried to set the config bits to what trmm showed above and still got the Error 33.
However, once I tried your hex file everything started working.

I then looked at the buffer and noticed the GQ software is byteswapping the data, is there any reason NOT to use the hex file you provided?
I found this too, with the older GQ4X. Simple byte flip before writing sorts the Error 33 issue.

I have a hex file which I believe should create a single PIC that can do both netboot and CF loading.

Thanks rtw! Tried a few other Zero Pic bin files with no luck. Yours worked, but needed a little trial and error. Used a Top3000 (via usb only) and tried settings from the OP and trmm, but for some reason it was only writing zeros to the PIC16F628A chip (tried a few different chips) . Here are the settings that ended up working for me:

OSC - HS
WDTEN - 0 Disable
PWRTE - 0 Enable
MCLRE - 0 Disable
BODEN - 0 Disable
LVP - 1 Enable
CDP - 1 Disable
CP - 1 Disable
User.ID ffff
MFA.ID 5068

ZeroPic-Top3000Settings.JPG

I'm reasonably certain that the attached hex files should produce a single PIC that will allow both netbooting and CF loading (ABC.BIN) of decrypted game files. One should just have to set the DIMM jumpers accordingly.

I've included two versions; a 'normal' one and a byteswapped one. I had to use the byteswapped one with GQ USB Programmer software and my GQ-4X programmer, writing to a PIC16F628A chip.

I've tested CF loading on NAOMI with a 4.02 net DIMM. I'll leave netboot testing for someone else to try. :)

I'd also appreciate someone testing both CF loading and netbooting on Triforce and Chihiro setups, since I don't have either!

naomi-pic-settings.png

Attachments

• naomi_dimm_abc_bin_0000000000000000_net_cf-idc.zip
    11 KB · Views: 198
Updated the first post with compatible systems.

The Net-Boot PIC is fully compatible with Chihoro.
In other words you do NOT need a special PIC for Chihiro.

So a Netboot Net Zero PIC for a Naomi 1 or 2 WILL work for a Chihiro Type 3?
Can a Net Dimm work in terms of Net booting with anything but a Net Zero PIC? - In other words, I have a Net Dimm that is able to Netboot fine - can I assume it is a Net Zero PIC? If not - what are the advantages of it being a Net Zero PIC versus an "ordinary" PIC?

Back