What's new

lunatico

Beginner
Reaction score
Long story short, I was using the phoenix edition roms to de suicide a DDTOD and now I have a obj ram NG.

Game was working with battery,used the razoola cps2 checker and all was good.

The battery was alarmingly low so I removed it, burned the eproms for the phoenix edition but I had an
error burning eprom 7 that I did not notice till it was too late (it was not programed at all).

When I booted it up the arcade screen showed garbled graphics and the coin counter mech of my cab went
crazy, it was counting coins like I were spaming the coin mech. So I thought something went wrong with the
rom burning process. Later I found the bad eprom, used a 27C4096 instead of a 27c240 burned it again and booted the game.

The game booted but with slight graphical problems, the sprites were garbled in some screens.
After a couple of resets and reseating the roms the problem went away. Not satisfied with
having a useless 27c240 around I decided to take a look into what happened.

It seems that my programer its kinda wonky when programing the 27c240 I tried it again
and tested it on the board and I was greeted with the same coin mech crazyness and garbled screen.

The problem was that the programer was not programing the eprom, after a couple of minutes
tinkering with the programing software I finally I managed it to get it correctly (checked that
it had the program burned and it passed all the checks.).

But now the game boots but no sprites are on the screen, backgrounds,music and letters are fine.
I immediately used the cps2 razoola tool to check the board, now I have a obj ram error (NG)
that was not before, the game shows the same behaiviour even if I put the 27C4096 that I used before.

Verified all the program eproms and all of them are in good condition.

After a lot of reading it seems that either I fried traces (so far I haven't found anything suspicious and how on earth
a bad program eprom fries anything anyway?),broke the object rams (MB8464A-10L) or broke a capcom custom IC.

I have access to a logic probe but I haven't used this tool before, I would appreciate any material or
guide on what I would be looking for to nail the problem.

Any help its welcome.

Back