What's new

Attachments

• DVD.jpg
    DVD.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 193
Anyone have any recommendations on a drive for Time Crisis 3? I've tried a few of them that work, but generally there are issues with actually playing the game. I've had drives that play the game "well enough" but cut out during the attract videos, drives where the music stutters/cuts out/loops short sections/doesn't play at all, drives that consistently freeze during certain levels. I've tried a few that others have suggested but I've lost track of which drives have which problems.

Anyone have any recommendations on a drive for Time Crisis 3? I've tried a few of them that work, but generally there are issues with actually playing the game. I've had drives that play the game "well enough" but cut out during the attract videos, drives where the music stutters/cuts out/loops short sections/doesn't play at all, drives that consistently freeze during certain levels. I've tried a few that others have suggested but I've lost track of which drives have which problems.
The LG GSA-H55N works perfectly fine for every game I have tested. Works absolutely fine for Time Crisis 3.

Just adding to this thread - I finally got around to testing a bunch of DVD-ROM's with a Namco 246 and Tekken 4 - all of these do work (I tested on two Namco 246's).

Toshiba-Samsung TS-H492 cd-RW/DVD
LG 6SA-H42N Super Multi DVD Rewriter
Lite-On DH-16D2P DVD-ROM Drive (2 of them)
Sony Optiarc DDU1678A DVD-ROM Drive
I can confirm that the Lite-On DH-16D2P will boot up Soul Calibur 2 and Soul Calibur 3, but it will not proceed to launch Tekken 4.

This was tested on a Namco System 246 revision B.

I can confirm that the Lite-On DH-16D2P will boot up Soul Calibur 2 and Soul Calibur 3, but it will not proceed to launch Tekken 4.

This was tested on a Namco System 246 revision B.
246c can boot the tekken4 lite on dvd

246c can boot the tekken4 lite on dvd
I wouldn't really want to purchase a separate revision of the 246 just to play Tekken 4 on the LiteOn DVD drive.

I have a SM-M1802 which came with the Tekken 4 PCB (which sadly has died), and another DVD drive (which is intermittent so I think that's reaching the end of its life cycle) and both play Tekken 4 with no issues.

Purchasing a M1802 is not gonna be cheap so I will need to find a DVD drive that can play Tekken 4 on a S246 Revision B board.

I wouldn't really want to purchase a separate revision of the 246 just to play Tekken 4 on the LiteOn DVD drive.

I have a SM-M1802 which came with the Tekken 4 PCB (which sadly has died), and another DVD drive (which is intermittent so I think that's reaching the end of its life cycle) and both play Tekken 4 with no issues.

Purchasing a M1802 is not gonna be cheap so I will need to find a DVD drive that can play Tekken 4 on a S246 Revision B board.
And by intermittent I mean it will boot up Tekken 4 but then the DVD drive will power off after a few stages.

And by intermittent I mean it will boot up Tekken 4 but then the DVD drive will power off after a few stages.
Ironically my other DVD drive which is intermittent is also a LiteOn DVD drive so I'm not sure why the Lite-On DH-16D2P will not boot up Tekken 4.

Maybe it's due to ATAPI compatibility.

That's the whole problem. You need a drive that does not stop the disc because the game doesn't request the drive to spin up it just want the data come in instantly and if it doesn't come the game just quits trying to read and freeze.

That's the whole problem. You need a drive that does not stop the disc because the game doesn't request the drive to spin up it just want the data come in instantly and if it doesn't come the game just quits trying to read and freeze.
Thanks for the advice @l_oliveira

The problem is that I don't think there is any DVD drive that is installed on the Namco System 246 that will run or move forever. Eventually, it will fail, and this is because there are moving parts inside the drive that cannot keep up with whatever game is running, including Tekken 4.

Thanks for the advice @l_oliveira

The problem is that I don't think there is any DVD drive that is installed on the Namco System 246 that will run or move forever. Eventually, it will fail, and this is because there are moving parts inside the drive that cannot keep up with whatever game is running, including Tekken 4.
The problem is a thing called "EPA Energy star".

It forces the drive manufacturers to add a timeout function on the drive firmware that causes it to stop the disc after a certain time of inactivity. During the first attract loop the tekken4 game sits on a fight demo and high scores display for a while, not accessing the DVD drive and that is a time long enough to cause the drive to decide it's time to stop the disc. Then the next attract mode loop it needs to show the movie where Heihachi tosses Kazuya into the volcano. That's when it freezes.

Back