What's new

Omni11

Student
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on my Initial D.
I bought it not working, only one side of a formerly 2 player setup. I got it up and running fine for a while. The steering was always a little off, it would be a little jumpy when selecting a car make - kind of moving back and forth between two options on its own. It wasn't bad enough to affect driving in game though. However, after a few game crashes due to a faulty gpu fan on the mobo, the steering has now become extra jumpy. It's kind of jerking all over while trying to select a car make or select a stage to race. And when the race starts I can see the front tires of my car jerking left and right very subtly, i can feel the slight vibration from it in the wheel. It's bad enough now to have a negative affect on driving in game.
I've replaced the 5k steering pot, which didn't help. Do I need to look into the feedback motor as well, or is something else at fault here? I've switched I/0 boards with my Crackin Dj arcade, both seem fine. Is the steering pcb messed up maybe? When I look at input in test mode the steering, brake, and gas volume readings are moving back and forth a bit in value. I'm not sure if that's normal.
I'm open to any help or suggestions. Love the game just getting frustrated with sinking more money into it.

My first inclination is a very worn steering pot. I had the same issue with my Ridge Racer 2 upright but after I changed the pot it was like buttah'

Yep, I changed the pot that connects to the steering wheel. No change. Is there another pot inside the control panel?
Also, when you check your input volume in test mode and you have your steering set to 80, does that value fluctuate at all? It's kind of jumping all over the place.

Mine moves around a bit but doesn't warp around. Curious to know what could be causing it if u swapped the pot out.

Think I fixed it. I put the modified switching power supply that came with it back in. It looks like a 250 watt power supply for a PC with all the wires cut for the sega connections.
I had put a sega power supply in it that I had gotten with a naomi 2 system I bought off ebay. So that one is bad or just needs voltage adjusted, I don't have a multimeter to check it.
So, pots acting crazy seems to mean bad ps or incorrect voltage settings.
Thanks for the help.
redir

Could be starving for amps too. Not sure what both are rated though.

So I opened up that sega power supply. It has a lot of swollen capacitors. I'll have to try it again whenever I get around to replacing the caps.
It's running great with the new pot and kluge pc power supply that was in it when I bought it.

Back