What's new
@rewriteI remembered the proper name and then found @nem already shared the connector here Converting GDROM NAOMI games to cart.
@rtw, not me.

Anyway, not going to tag him, since he seems pretty tight lipped about projects he works on, but if there's someone who could potentially be working on a Naomi multicart, it has to be brizzo.

That said, I'm sure a multi is still ways off. I'm not holding my breath.

Someone should start working on the 3D printed Naomi cart shells just to get that out of the way...

And the labels too!

Maybe having those ready would help speed things along.

It's no doubt they would sell a lot of these multi-carts.

How would you select games? On screen menu or LCD?

:D

I once asked if I could provide a donor cart (to joerg for his magic), his answer was:
"Any Melty Blood AA cart or Dynamite Deka Ex cart does the job!"

damn... two excellent and $100+ games right there :-/

I'm running original carts that I can and net-booting everything else. at some point I'm going to swap over to CF booting for all the GD-ROM titles as it requires the least amount of modification to the game data.

Anyway, not going to tag him, since he seems pretty tight lipped about projects he works on, but if there's someone who could potentially be working on a Naomi multicart, it has to be brizzo.
It is true that I have been working on solution for naomi. Earlier this year I reverse engineered the required logic and implemented into fpga, built a working prototype, essentially cloning M4 type cartridge. You are correct it is a long ways off, still undecided on best way to implement the design and end user features (ie; how it will work to load or switch games).

On the weekend I finished code for secure in system fpga update from sd card, so that is a major step for all projects as it expands feature set for many things I have been working on. Other cool things will come before Naomi.

Someone should start working on the 3D printed Naomi cart shells just to get that out of the way...
I got my hands on a NOS cart and had the pristine cartridge shell 3d scanned and modeled already, with future goal to have injection molded.

I need to create a fund for this now.

Would want this so bad, running through all the netbooting stuff. Huge pain, trying to figure out the PSU set up since my blast doesn't have enough to power the Naomi and netdimm :(.

trying to figure out the PSU set up since my blast doesn't have enough to power the Naomi and netdimm :(.
unless your Blast has a non-original PSU that shouldn't be the case. the Blast PSUs have more juice than the dedicated NAOMI SUN PSUs.

trying to figure out the PSU set up since my blast doesn't have enough to power the Naomi and netdimm :(.
unless your Blast has a non-original PSU that shouldn't be the case. the Blast PSUs have more juice than the dedicated NAOMI SUN PSUs.
I think that might be the case. My blast got completely wrecked in shipping, needed to be rebuilt from the ground up. Not sure the exact PSU that was used. It will run Naomi for 30-90 seconds and say IO board not found. Could be something else potentially...

It will run Naomi for 30-90 seconds and say IO board not found. Could be something else potentially...
that sounds like an issue with your JVS cable, or the power going to the JVS board more than a problem with the PSU.
I could send you a picture of the set up the guy who re-built it set me up with. Another board inside the cab with the blue printer cable that I can connect. But was trying to go through jamma. As you can tell I'm not super technical and pretty new to the hobby. Will DM you to not hijack the thread, ty for the help.

Netboot: pi zero stylee edition

While we wait for a multicart from @brizzo or @Darksoft.....

@Finisterre and I have been working on some netboot alternatives. Basically ways to make it a little easier to accomplish, i.e. automation.

One way we've explored is using the travel router class of network devices, such as a tplink tl-mr3040 or a tl-mr3020, plugged into a netdimm and run them in bridge mode. This can work off your home router, if it can dhcp properly. See: Details on how to use the "REMOTE" (DHCP) setting with a NetDIMM to get a "GOOD" Network Test

@Finisterre coded up a ruby web application that will poll the dhcp leases file and auto populate a drop down so you can push games based on active dhcp'd netdimms. All of this was combined with an asus tinkerboard and a local network was built for linking cabs and/or just general mass netbooting. Asus tinkerboard serves up an access point that the tl-mr3020's are auto configured to connect to. A web app is served up by the asus tinkerboard. One can join the AP with a phone/tablet/laptop/computer, then just push games out. The same functionality exists off the ethernet port on the asus tinkerboard. There are a lot more details here (like assigning multiple IP addresses to a network interface due to the fact that games auto assign different IPs to platforms like the Chihiro) but that is a little background to get us here.

So, @Finisterre and I were talking recently and he suggested a solution where you could just swap out sd cards and auto load a new game. This would be akin to the CF readers, but over ethernet. We talked a bit about it, then let it marinate.

Well, insomnia is a motherfucker and I couldn't sleep last night. So I banged it out in a couple hours.

Here you go:

I'm currently working out a few kinks, but it should be ready to go soon. So hopefully I'll be posting an sd card image soon or steps on how to recreate it. To accomplish what occurred in the video you'll need these:

A pi0 (I am using a W in the video, will test on a regular ass pi0) - $5 at microcenter
A power cord for the pi0 - regular ass microUSB cable
A usb network adapter - these start at about $4 on amazon, locally probably more like $10
A micro sd card - any size over 2gb will work. - 8bg can be had for ~$5 on amazon
A regular ass network cable - you do not need a cross over cable

So you are looking at <$20 here. Plus a netdimm. (for all caveats related to netdimms, see @twistedsymphony thorough post here: How to Net-boot NAOMI/Tri-Force/Chihiro Using Pi-Force Tools)

The scripts I wrote look in a specific folder, take the file in that folder, and pushes it to the netdimm. To change games you would put the .bin in the appropriate folder on the sd card, shove it in the pi0, then let it boot up. Or just have a stack of sd cards are deck ready to go.

Netboot: pi zero stylee edition

Last edited:
Back