What's new
Bulk pricing apparently doesn't kick in until you're BULK with these. So anyone that's paid their deposit your cart's been ordered (and I snagged a few extras), and I'm just going to order every time I get 2-4 more since there's 0 savings either way (and I don't want to wait around in case the price goes up).

I don't know how to art :(. Going to be someone else's department, ha.
There's a dude on Instagram that makes custom cart stickers for MVS carts named Physical Media

I talked to him a while back after Vortex's original post went aflame. He said he hadnt thought about it but if it became a big enough thing he could possibly make some.

In for one MVS, if you ever get this far in the list and order more.

Hrng. I managed to resist for three days. For Xeno Crisis, is it adequate to own the cart, or do I also need to buy an MVS ROM? I have an MVS cart, Genesis cart, Dreamcast ROM, Vita cart, Switch cart, and Steam digital copy.

Last edited:
Bulk pricing apparently doesn't kick in until you're BULK with these. So anyone that's paid their deposit your cart's been ordered (and I snagged a few extras), and I'm just going to order every time I get 2-4 more since there's 0 savings either way (and I don't want to wait around in case the price goes up).
I noticed the price fluctuates day by day. I'm guessing they're using some local exchange rate.

I noticed the price fluctuates day by day. I'm guessing they're using some local exchange rate.
Makes sense to me.

I needed 150 to get a price break which is definitely not going to happen any time soon, ha. Some of the higher priced sellers would give one but it was still higher than the low priced seller I've already dealt with and had good luck with.

I’ll take a fresh MVS cart (No XC)! Already have unmodified V2 and V3 carts but will probably offload them after receiving this so I want to keep them stock.

Is there a condensed/summarized list of features?

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm in for one MVS cart (no XC).
Thanks a lot for this initiative!

Last edited:
If one gets an AES version, then is it the AES version of games they get? Or is it the MVS library but the difference is that only the boards are different to play on AES?

Can you put me down for a MVS version with Xeno Crisis, I bought the ROM when it was first released.

Cheers and Thanks

put me down for a mvs cart with xeno crisis I bought the rom when it was released

If one gets an AES version, then is it the AES version of games they get? Or is it the MVS library but the difference is that only the boards are different to play on AES?
To quote some other folks who worded it nicely: "There are no separate roms for MVS & AES. The original Neo Geo carts contained the same game, it was the hardware/bios that determined the version.".

I’ll take a fresh MVS cart (No XC)! Already have unmodified V2 and V3 carts but will probably offload them after receiving this so I want to keep them stock.

Is there a condensed/summarized list of features?
Upsides:

Full retail neo romset, 240p test suite, Metal Slug 2 fixed version.
Loads instantly
Fixed NitD audio thanks to @Niko and thanks to @leonk for pointing the fix out to me.

Downsides:

No faux multi-slot feature
If you want to change anything at a later date it's going to be removing 5 SMD flash chips and 3 "socketed" daughterboards and reprogramming all of them.
No NGCD audio
MOTW is still not 100% (thanks to a custom mapper, and thank @darknezz19 for a detailed breakdown I hope he'll share here)

I'll catch up with everyone new today sometime!

Last edited:
I've taken the numbers, and this is the official "Round 1" cutoff.

I'll order more chips/pins/PCBs and we'll get everyone else taken care of too, but everyone that has paid or told me they're shipping me a cart as of this moment in time (plus @arcadeWC because of the timing of my message) is in R1 and will be taken care of first.

I was hoping to go in list order, but kinda gotta go with folks who took the time to respond/send deposits promptly first (and no one's getting left out anyway, just pushed back) since I can't foresee if the others ever come back around or not.

Give me a day or two to re-arrange the list, double check quantities on everything, and start a round 2 list. I'll order some extra of everything, but I don't want to order like 50 chips if there's only maybe 12 people, or 12 if there'll be 50. Round 2's going to be harder to rough out numbers for I think so I may give it a week or two and /then/ order parts/take deposits/etc.

In for one MVS, if you ever get this far in the list and order more.

Hrng. I managed to resist for three days. For Xeno Crisis, is it adequate to own the cart, or do I also need to buy an MVS ROM? I have an MVS cart, Genesis cart, Dreamcast ROM, Vita cart, Switch cart, and Steam digital copy.
I meant to answer this. I'm sticking with the spirit of the thing in general, but if you bought the MVS cart you got the ROM for free anyway (look way back in your emails somewhere), it was included with physical copy purchases.

In regards to Mark of the Wolves proto and final version, I messaged rewrite to bring this his to attention. He suggested this to be posted here to clear up what's what with the proto and final version. Here is a copy and paste of said message.

Hey rewrite. Seen that one guy ask about MOTW if it's the prototype version or the final in your multi interest check thread. Was going to comment, but didn't want to come off as if I'm putting your efforts down. Anyway so there is a prototype version of this game, which is used in the 161 in 1. The final version wont run on the 161 in 1, as far as I know, because it uses a custom mapper which the cpld does not support. This version is without endings when you beat it, and also surfers from a bug which freezes the game when preforming a certain move. Also the title screen is a bit different, among other small changes.

Now some claim the 138 in 1 version is the final. I have this cart and tested it. The freezing bug has been patched, and the title screen resembles that of the final. The endings are still not there though unfortunately. Rom hackers way back in the day probably patched the proto to be closer to the final, but at the time no emulators supported the custom mapper so the final version was not playable. You can get this version from an old neoragex romset, and currently is the best available version to use to my knowledge.

I believe the final version with decrypted Vroms would take extensive asm disassembly and editing to get running on the 161 in 1 unfortunately. I've brought it up a couple times in the main 161 in 1 mod thread, but no one has commented on it. ack did however suggest in a chat that if we can get someone with a real flash cart, we could test modifications out before flashing a 161 in 1.

The rom set for the hacked updated version of neoragex 5.2a, has fully decrypted Vroms and is the final version, but I think it may still be using the new mapper. I'm not 100% sure. It will likely run on the 161 in 1 if it isn't.

If someone has access to, preferably a DarkSoft flash cart, then testing could be done to get the final version running on the 161 in 1. Too much work to be soldering and reprograming each chip to test. Please leave a message if you have one and would like to help. Terraonion's flash cart may work in testing as well, but not 100% sure.

Last edited:
The rom set for the hacked updated version of neoragex 5.2a, has fully decrypted Vroms and is the final version, but I think it may still be using the new mapper. I'm not 100% sure. It will likely run on the 161 in 1 if it isn't.

If someone has access to, preferably a DarkSoft flash cart, then testing could be done to get the final version running on the 161 in 1. Too much work to be soldering and reprograming each chip to test. Please leave a message if you have one and would like to help. Terraonion's flash cart may work in testing as well, but not 100% sure.
Hi, I can help testing if needed. Please tell me how I can proceed :)
I have an AES DS.

I am interested on one of each (MVS and AES). Sign me up for the next round.

Full retail neo romset, 240p test suite, Metal Slug 2 fixed version.
Loads instantly
Fixed audio via a new voltage regulator circuit

Loads instantly is the biggest upside of this project. There is no flash cart that can do this. Even MiSTer can't load the games as fast (because it needs to copy them from microSD to memory - the ROMs are already in memory, in the correct format). I had a chance to do an audit of some of the game lists that people use to make this cart. Here's what's on it:

- Entire MVS and AES officially released Neo Geo games
- some unreleased games
- some games that were only released on CD but converted to work on cart
- some homebrew games
- 1 game hack (Metal Slug 2 Turbo from 2015) but original Metal Slug 2 is still there as well

Back