What's new

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
IMG_2964.JPEG

In the works, hope to have it ready this year. It's a lot like the JAMMA Expander, but JVS of course. Aim is to get mister in a JVS cab quickly and easily, in addition to the Expander, you would need the DE10-nano and an SDRAM module.

- Direct_video design - i.e. HDMI is looped back to the expander for audio & video
- configurable SyncGuard for VGA/CRT monitors
- 3 port USB hub, 480mbit
- JVS (doh :))

For vewlix cabs that doesn't use VGA, you can still use this as it has headers for i2s audio - i.e. you can source audio from the DE10 GPIO pins - I'll probably include a cable for that.

For vewlix cabs that doesn't use VGA, you can still use this as it has headers for i2s audio - i.e. you can source audio from the DE10 GPIO pins - I'll probably include a cable for that.
Nice to see the astro harness connector direclty on the expander ! Glad for these updates , looking great !

Last edited:
Love this!

Im a little confused on how to connect it to a vewlix cab.

we would take video from the HDMI on the de10nano and then sound would be from the RCA jack on the jvs expander?

Love this!

Im a little confused on how to connect it to a vewlix cab.

we would take video from the HDMI on the de10nano and then sound would be from the RCA jack on the jvs expander?
For vewlix, you have 2 options, in both cases audio comes from the RCA connectors on the Expander.
  • Use VGA from the expander, quick & convenient and goes up to at least 1080p.
  • HDMI, for perfectionists, straight out of the DE10
With the HDMI option, you need to extract audio somehow. I tried several types of HDMI audio extraction IC's and other schemes to provide digital video and analog audio, without success - so in the end I just opted for the simplest solution, which is to tap I2S audio from the DE10 gpio headers. There is no config, if the expander can't sense HDMI input, it sources audio from the header.

The harness in the image will be included with all JVS Expanders, but you only need it if you're going to use HDMI video directly from the DE10.

IMG_3078.jpeg

Last edited:
The JVS Expanders are completed, and will be shipped from the factory tomorrow - hope to have them available in a couple of weeks.

I added a stock notification thing to the web-store, so you can sign up to get notified when they are available. This is a not a large batch.

https://irkenlabs.com/product/jvs-expander/

There will be more info about the expander on the website before launch.

Great job, finally a card for mister on jvs cab !
I was using your jvspac2 on a NNC, but there was a little problem with neogeo cores, only 1st player had control (mame keyboard emulation only as i understood)
Will this card give full control to 2nd player, i mean like jamma's mister cards on which the second controller is really distinct ?

Great job, finally a card for mister on jvs cab !
I was using your jvspac2 on a NNC, but there was a little problem with neogeo cores, only 1st player had control (mame keyboard emulation only as i understood)
Will this card give full control to 2nd player, i mean like jamma's mister cards on which the second controller is really distinct ?
Yes, it has a keyboard mode like the JVS-PAC 2 and a 2xgamepad mode. It will function like the JAMMA expander.

As for MVS on mister, I can highly recommend the insert-coin script https://github.com/funkycochise/Insert-Coin_Res
This will install blackwines mvs core, that gives you MAME keyboard input and also an MRA pr game, so it can auto-boot without selecting a rom from within the core. Hope you will still consider a JVS expander :)

Thanks for your fast answer (didn't found the button to like your post), well i'm in the starting blocks :thumbup:

Hello
Can I connect a vga-rgb cable for consumer TV?
Depends on the TV, the Expander outputs 0.7V RGB and TTL(5V) sync. If the TV handles VGA, should be no issue. It's primarily designed for JVS cabinets.

Jumped on this when I got the notice this morning and less then 2 hours later Fedex had it in hand with and expected international delivery date on Monday. Can't wait to try it out!

I have a general question for anyone,

Can someone make a case? 😁 would be nice.

I have a general question for anyone,

Can someone make a case? 😁 would be nice.
I actually tried to make this 'caseable', but it was tricky because of the OLED and JST-VL connector, so didn't bother. Most of the stuff on the PCB is covered by the DE10, and the edges are riddled with connectors and buttons/switches so not sure if there would be much utility.

Back