What's new
Wow that's awesome! Thank you for sharing that, I've never seen a photo of one before

By the look of it it really is the same as a Cyber Lead but with the memory card rather than the secondary instruction space. I wish mine had the 100Y sticker and the coin slot shroud :( I'd be interested in buying the memory card setup if I could find one as well. Would be really interested to know if there are any further differences with the change from CL1 to CL2.

The things I'm aware of going from CL1 to CL2:
- Multi color display and newer rev. I/O board
- Instruction space replaced with memorycard slots
- Nanao MS9 replaced with a tri-sync Wei-Ya chassis (EDIT: Nanao tri-sync chassis, unknown type)

Last edited:
I would have thought it would have been a tri-sync Nanao chassis rather than a Wei-Ya, but there you go.

Are you sure the LED display was changed and not just the I/O board? Mine shows multiple colours with the newer revision I/O so it might just be that? Would be interesting to find out

The memory card slots was a cool idea. Like an early version of the cards that arcades use now to store your data.

EDIT: should be a Nanao tri-sync chassis, but unknown what type...

I would have thought it would have been a tri-sync Nanao chassis rather than a Wei-Ya, but there you go.

Are you sure the LED display was changed and not just the I/O board? Mine shows multiple colours with the newer revision I/O so it might just be that? Would be interesting to find out

The memory card slots was a cool idea. Like an early version of the cards that arcades use now to store your data.
Would be cool too find out what happens when I would be able to connect a 3.00 I/O to my 'old' display.
My guess would be it are 1 color leds only...

I'd say multi colour, the colour limitation is purely due to the I/O board revision.

My monitor is a dual sync Nanao not a tri sync and I doubt whoever replaced the I/O also replaced the marquee... the marquee control board is the same one you have as well.

The board you picture is the I/O work like mine and there is a similar board attached to the display (minus the USB ports and some variation in population of the PCB).
From what I've been reading there are various revisions of both the I/O and the LED control board. and compatibility changes with both of them.From what I understand the game pre-loads animations into the I/O board so that during gameplay it can just send simple commands such as "play animation #5". This makes sense because the JVS bandwidth is pretty slow and you'd have really laggy gameplay if the game board was providing the whole bit-stream for the display while polling the controls.

It looks like the communication between the LED control board and the I/O board is a simple Serial connection. Ideally I'd like to figure out if it's a 1 way output or if there is some kind of hand-shake communication that reports the LED control board revision/capabilities back to the I/O board and if it uses a standard/existing protocol for communication. ideally we could use an off-the shelf LED display/control board or worst case build one.

it could also open the possibility to improve compatibility across games that support it by reporting whatever hardware revision it wants to see.

If the I/O board does indeed store animations I'd suspect that it would be much more difficult to emulate, the JVS protocol is pretty well documented but I'd guess that these commands all reside in the "manufacturer specific" code range. so it'd be matter of recording the serial data and trying to make sense of it.
OK, just got home, did some more tests;

- Naomi via JVS, works very good
- System 256 with Tekken 5 via JVS, gives the mismatch error
- System 256 with Dragonball Z via JVS, works very good (no Namco animation here like the Tekken games)

If I hook up one of my working System 12 games you would get a message upon boot asking you to load the new display data for this specific game to the display, this process can take up to 10 minuntes or maybe more.
This data is stored until you pop in another board which contains 'display data' and then if would ask you the same upload confirmation.

I tried these things on any of the 'non-working' Namco JVS games:
- Turn OFF the display via the display's setting menu, same mismatch error
- Remove the s-video like connection cable between the JVS I/O and the display's PCB, does not boot at all. The cab also doesn't boot in this situation with working JVS games or Jamma games.

Here is the revision and the PCB of the display:

IMG_8207_zpsfuq8qi82.jpg

IMG_8208_zps8iyafooy.jpg

IMG_8209_zpsn8am718z.jpg

And this is the JVS I/O PCB:

IMG_8204_zps5zpedk3d.jpg

IMG_8205_zpsu8mgp7ys.jpg

IMG_8206_zpsk22fvplj.jpg

This is the test screen from a Naomi:

IMG_8210_zpsvsnkzwxc.jpg

This is the test screen from the System 256 with DBZ via JVS (JVS menu is grayed out):

IMG_8211_zps87ws2hdj.jpg

and this is what I get when I boot Tekken 5 in the System 256:

IMG_8212_zpsd3uhwo2y.jpg

IMG_8213_zpsvsklv7nl.jpg
Nice pics. @MetalliC @invzim do you know if that 27c020 that can be seen on the I/O has been dumped?

I think Darksoft is referring to the IC underneath the left side of the C03685 sticker - Atmel 29c020 @ IC5

I see it now, thanks
@Darksoft it seems unumped, cant find mentions about this board, or any IO with C77 MCU,
only few C78(H8) based IOs was dumped

I think I don't have the adapter for that one. @rtw would any of your members at DU be able to read it?

I think I don't have the adapter for that one. @rtw would any of your members at DU be able to read it?
If it is possible I could ship out the Cyberlead I/O to @rtw
Help out the community and in the end possibly benefit myself with an updated JVS I/O ;)

If it is possible I could ship out the Cyberlead I/O to @rtwHelp out the community and in the end possibly benefit myself with an updated JVS I/O ;)
Is this the device ?
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/peulenp/IMG_8209_zpsn8am718z.jpg

I don't have an adapter for it, but I can ask some other members in Europe. Just let me know for sure that this is the device ?
that is the I/O board which connects to the top marquee display.
It basically is the same PCB but with a different chip layout.

This is the JVS I/O PCB;

IMG_8204_zps5zpedk3d.jpg

Thanks for the correction! It seems like the device is the same though ? A 27c020 ?

Yes, both are AT29C020

Here is a simple representation of how the boards are connected to each other;

Untitled_zps8fyv4zjk.png

Reactions: rtw
@PascalP, we can dump it, please check your PM :)
got in touch with your guy, will ship it to him as soon as possible.
I have noticed that actually you have two I/Os that look exactly the same but depending on what chips you populate it will work as JVS I/O or LED I/O.

As we are on it, does it make sense to read the 29c020 from both?

Back