What's new
Tested it with the same file against two of my KI1 boards and it works correctly.
Make sure you burn it on a 4 mbits EPROM and the EPROM type select jumper is on 4 mbits.
That’s how I burned it…and jumper is set to 4mbits. Will try again. Thanks

Followup: i’ve tried version 1.4 on k1 board and it works correctly

Last edited:
are the U98s different for KI1 and KI2 because the boards have different drive controllers?

HI there,

I have made great progress with the multiboot.
After hitting the wall multiple times with the different solutions I tried, i finally have one working !
I took inspiration of the KI2 downgrade kit security board.

I will make a video of the complete setup pretty soon, in the mean time find attached some picture of my development setup and 3D renders of the add-on board (looks huge but it's in fact pretty small 3.3cm X 5.3cm (1.3" X 2")).

Three nice features of this solution:
- Can be use on already modded board with lifted EPROM pins (simply connect the wire A19 to the output of this board)
- On power cycling it will boot the last played game
- Reset button will reset to the current game

IMG_3706.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 17.26.09.png
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 17.26.37.png

HI there,

I have made great progress with the multiboot.
After hitting the wall multiple times with the different solutions I tried, i finally have one working !
I took inspiration of the KI2 downgrade kit security board.

I will make a video of the complete setup pretty soon, in the mean time find attached some picture of my development setup and 3D renders of the add-on board (looks huge but it's in fact pretty small 3.3cm X 5.3cm (1.3" X 2")).

Three nice features of this solution:
- Can be use on already modded board with lifted EPROM pins (simply connect the wire A19 to the output of this board)
- On power cycling it will boot the last played game
- Reset button will reset to the current game

IMG_3706.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 17.26.09.png
Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 17.26.37.png
Great work! 😍
So, if I understand correctly, it takes one additional board to handle the dual on the IDE side.
Regarding the audio ROMs, the sandwich board between the ROM and the PCB is still a possible solution for non daisy chained boards?

Hello guys,

The PCBs finally arrived today, i still have to solder the connectors and sockets, but here's a quick look of it !
Sadly, i won't have time this week-end to test it :(

IMG_3744.jpg

@neku are you planning to provide the schematics and BOM for the addon board? Thanks
Yes, i will release once ready all the files (schematics, gerber and BOM) needed to be able to make the PCBs.

Regards,

Once this is all set and done, would anyone be willing to burn me the roms and hdd and I pay for it and for shipping?

I second this. I only have a working KI2 board left and would like to have both games again. :P
I got the arcade1up version of this today but I want to make it into a jamma. I just don't want to switch out the roms all the time and stress the board out, lol

I found my tools and double checked a KI board i had in storage for around 10 years or more. Resoldered about 50 cpu pins after a long and hard check.
I doublechecked my work, and the pins, but it's still not booting. Does the test rom require working sound?
I've this section not populated with eproms. Just a screen with lines that are offset , like this picture here.

Any good repair guys in europe with this cpu willing to replace it? It gets super hot, i already verified all the contacts, and it's not a mess :)

No idea, i don't want to derail the thread further :)

However, @neku was working on an adapter board, using more readily available cpu types:
I am also working on two other projects related to KI arcades and Midway cabinets.
1) Trying to create an adapter from PGA to SMD for 79R4600-100MD or 79R4700-100MD (R4700 @ 100Mhz should be compatible as well, wondering what would happen with on clocked @ 133MHz).
This part is already quite advanced but not yet ready for a first production and all of my five KI/KI2 boards are in perfect working condition, so i have to find a non working one with a dead cpu for cheap to test on it.

I do hope to someday recover this board, it's mint and seems to just have a dead cpu. When the heatsink fell off it overheated i guess.

Oem cabinets got a fan to cool the board and CPU. If you run the board without heatsink you'll blow your cpu in no time.
There are no more cpus availables, a lot of good pcb with faulty cpus but very few/none bad boards with good cpu to donate in my opinion.
Anyway, there's a good guy in Spain if you need a repair job, but you must provide a spare cpu ! Victor Fernandez from City Game

my Killer Instinct 2 board was discovered broken several years ago. I think maybe about 2016 I resoldered the CPU to fix it. I was moving my stuff out of my now old job last week and dropped the board off the cart and was highly interested in testing it to make sure it was still ok. I had a very familiar symptom to when the CPU had issues, the blue boot screen would just keep cycling over and over. it had been awhile since I did anything with these but I remembered that the U98 rom could cause this and much to my surprise it emitted a loud crunch sound when I pressed down on it. now I got to a solid red screen. I realize now that you can't access test mode without a hard drive with the Any-IDE rom, needs to be factory U98. the test mode will be accessible but any components that require accessing the drive (notably anything involving adjustment settings) will be locked out and inaccessible. gamefixer said "you need a hard drive!" and he handed me a 40 pin IDE header and said "install this!" so I used his fancy new Pace soldering tools to clear the holes out but the header assembly was too big and conflicted with the 42 pin 2.5" header. so it has straight header pins and I scored a free CF out of the deal. I need to rig it up to tap into +5V and ground but that won't be difficult to do later when I move. as for context and relevance to this thread, should a day come that testing of the dual board hardware needs to be done, this is my board to do it with. :)

also as for orientation of the 40 pin header and the way a hard drive or CF should face, the little nubbed end of the IDE cable would face the edge of the board. (seen in the 2nd picture). given the board is multi layer, you'll need at least 700 F with irons to be able to clear out the holes. I had to add solder on both sides of the holes before using the desolder tool.

here's some pictures.

8c7675b0-fadd-48ac-b0ba-7bd4fb54fb4a.jpg

c32c6a1c-d673-4ded-98af-5de81106c11b.jpg

2f9ef3fa-3cb1-4774-8750-9c9f1ce850d0.jpg

Back