What's new
as it's working sometimes, you may want to start with the crystal for the vioce/sample chip

Yes that reminds me where I got the YM3012 from. Okay So I've got my YM3012 mixed with the LM324 in my previous post sorry for confusion. So no voice, I would start at the LM324 (not YM3012) next to the VLM5030. Hopefully that custom VLM5030 isn't an on board voice synthesiser and dac all in one.

Sorry had to edit this as i was getting the VLM5030 mixed up with the 007420 (insert facepalm emote here). Hard to explain what I am thinking sometimes but bare with me

I may be wrong, but if memory serves me correct, I believe that the VLM5030 chip can be sourced relatively cheaply if need be. Because it was used by Konami as an enhancement chip on a few of their bigger Famicom cartridge game releases.

as it's working sometimes, you may want to start with the crystal for the vioce/sample chip

Do you mean the standard 3.58 MHz clock crystal that’s in the audio section?

If so, admittedly, I believe that’s one of the few factory original major components on the board that I haven’t replaced yet.

But could a sound clock go faulty in a way that would allow it to work with music and sound effects but not with voice? That sounds rather far fetched.

I may be wrong, but if memory serves me correct, I believe that the VLM5030 chip can be sourced relatively cheaply if need be. Because it was used by Konami as an enhancement chip on a few of their bigger Famicom cartridge game releases.
Do you know which ones specifically? what would be the cheapest option to get some. Can't find any on ebay.

According to mame source both YM2151 and VLM5030 uses the same clock signals so that can be ruled out. Besides he doesn't have a scope anyway. But definitely a valid point though and still worth checking in case the signal is being messed up along the way.

if the voice chip uses the crystal and the other sound chips use a different clock source then it can be the issue
it could just need resoldering.
if you ever open a crystal, inside the can is a glass disk with thin wires connecting it to the can base - those wires and the glass can all fail

if the voice chip uses the crystal and the other sound chips use a different clock source then it can be the issue
it could just need resoldering.
if you ever open a crystal, inside the can is a glass disk with thin wires connecting it to the can base - those wires and the glass can all fail
Sorry I was just going by the source code. There's two cyrstals in there with the other one being 24mhz according to mame source. imo would be silly to use clock dividers on the 24mhz when you can just use the same one for the sound. The 24mhz signal is used by the two CPUS I think. So just an assumption i've made. Are there pinouts for VLM5030 at all? Always a good idea to check clocks regardless though. I feel like a twat for just not digging out my own pcb myself to be honest. But its not as easy as it seems.

just clipped this for you from the jail break schematic
notice it has it's own crystal, AND a capacitor in series with the output

Attachments

• VLM5030.png
    VLM5030.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 89
Interesting. I was going by the mame source diagram and because its such a small pcb. Maybe op can clarify.

Ive found my pcb and there is only 2 cystals on there and as ive said they both use the same crystal. You do also realise that although categorised as similar hardware, the layout is completely different to other games in that category.

i didnt look at mame - i looked at some available konami schematics

…although categorised as similar hardware, the layout is completely different to other games in that category.

System16.com has always been one of my favorite internet sites and is one of the best resources for arcade PCB information. However, with that said, it does indeed have several errors and incorrect groupings/associations of some arcade games and the board sets which were utilized for them.

Rock n’ Rage was indeed unique. Konami did not use the GX620 board for any other game besides GX620. And the other 3 boards that they grouped in with it in its sub category are all completely unrelated and vastly different to it.

But for the record, this is par for the course when it comes to Konami. They rarely used hardware for more then one piece of software. And in defense of system16.com he states this detail about Konami quite clearly.

I think system 16 gets most of its information from mame source.

it's not important, i posted that img because it shows the chip pinouts.

Back