What's new

MagicianLord77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for some assistance on bringing this Konami TMNT board back from the dead. Got it from an arcade parts lot. It had different issues that I've been able to overcome, but got stuck on this one.
Previous issues were:
  • G8 BAD error - fixed replacing 051960 custom
  • Title music caught in a short loop - fixed replacing 74LS393 of its circuit (independent)
  • Sound would go out after a while of being turned on - replaced the LM358 and LM324 op amps but seems really fixed after replacing some tantalum caps near the amp, like many forum posts recommend
Now, this speech sound issue would be the last one to bring the board to a full working state.
Issue is that whenever speech is triggered (at the demo when turtles are hitting stuff, or at the beginning when turtles say some dialog), it sounds wrong. But it's not only that, eventually I guess the uPD7759 gets confused and starts playing on loop other noises, even when game ends it continues to play when it shouldn't (stops after a while, I've seen when its RESET signal is at some point of the demo loop). I guess this is because of some wrongly interpreted commands as the ROM it reads does not only contain samples but commands?.

Made some measurements with a scope over the lower address lines and data lines of the ROM, they all look pretty weird like this, how would you interpret this? I can't get to see anything square, slopes only, this didn't happen to me when measuring other boards so I would say the scope is fine. Also I've recently calibrated its probes with its 1khz square wave signal.
  • A0 goes out of the uPD7759 into the ROM address lines.
  • Q3 is the 3rd bit of the ROM that also is in between a bus, more info below.
1.PNG

2.png

Seems there is a bus between the ROM data lines (output), uPD7759 (input/output) and 74LS273 (input).

Some docs I've been using:
What do you think? thank you!

Update: took out, tested and socketed:
  • F15 (74LS273) used for choosing which sound to play, input comes from Z80 data bus
  • B16 (74LS273) used for addressing high ROM address lines
  • D18 (1Mbit mask rom)
They all tested fine using Xgecu T48. Replaced the LS273 with other ones just in case had a false positive but nothing changed.

1705371911577.png

A1.jpeg

Back