What's new

MechaJubei

Student
Reaction score
Heya all. So I see there are two LED lights inside the Naomi board - one labeled 3.3v and one labeled 5v. Are these lights supposed to be red or green? I have two boards here and both have red lights...but my head wants to say red = bad. True?

Ok, so I just noticed that I have two types of Naomi boards. One has two flush LEDs and the other one has the type that stick out. The type that stick out are obviously red and green. The flush ones I can't tell until it's powered up but they both light up red.

The actual motherboards themselves look different as well - one has a "Sega" chip about 1x1 on it while the other doesn't....anyone know the differences between the two boards?

Attachments

• 20160916_102021-min.jpg
    20160916_102021-min.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20160916_102021-min.jpg
    20160916_102021-min.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 118
2nd is uncommon later revision
PCB was redesigned in Naomi2-style, as you noticed Sega 315-6146 (JVS Host MCU) was moved to upper left corner near battery. original N1 have it in right bottom PCB area.

it also have row of jumpers like N2, I'm not sure but possible in also supports RS232 which can be enabled/switched by this JPs like N2.

I'm curious that was original game with this Naomi ? can you tell 840-xxxx or 841-xxxx number below NAOMI logo on the case ?

This is not super well documented anywhere I think. I'm pretty sure the different revisions use different CPU fans.

My naomi unit is 840-0015D-02

2nd is uncommon later revision
PCB was redesigned in Naomi2-style, as you noticed Sega 315-6146 (JVS Host MCU) was moved to upper left corner near battery. original N1 have it in right bottom PCB area.

it also have row of jumpers like N2, I'm not sure but possible in also supports RS232 which can be enabled/switched by this JPs like N2.

I'm curious that was original game with this Naomi ? can you tell 840-xxxx or 841-xxxx number below NAOMI logo on the case ?
Interesting So that 2nd one is technically a better system? Or not many huge differences? The number is 840-0089D. The first board is 841-0007D-06.

This is not super well documented anywhere I think. I'm pretty sure the different revisions use different CPU fans.

I thought I did read somewhere (can't find it now) that the older Naomi boards were better built and less prone to dying....wish I could find that message board where I read that though. I'm trying to figure out which of the handful of boards I should keep for personal use - I've got a couple of each styles but only need to keep one.

The number is 840-0089D
hard to say then, seen this number in Maze of the Kings manual, but i suppose it was used as generic GD-ROM setup.
The first board is 841-0007D-06.
this was Marvel vs Capcom 2
this was Virua Tennis.

Interesting So that 2nd one is technically a better system?
I dont know, likely just late PCB redesign, there was removed wiring for ICs and connectors for 'direct input' connection (unpopulated in right lower part of common Naomi PCB), which was planned at some early stage of development, but later dropped and switched to use external JVS IOs instead.

Back