What's new
I use an electric hoist, it's in a position where I can lift monitors up to my mezzanine area for storage but I can use it to take monitors out of cabs and drop them onto a trolly.

monitorLiftsm.jpg

I've got an electric hoist too. They're useful and cheap but you need somewhere stable and high to mount them too. That's a much bigger challenge / problem than it sounds. You're not going to be able to mount them on drywall. you'd need bars or a gantry higher than your cab and strong enough to support a 100-300lb crt plus 30-50lb for the hoist itself.

Before I got my shop crane, I tried to use one to lift a cnc machine onto a desk. The aluminum T-slot gantry frame I tried to construct for it was an incredibly time-consuming and dangerous failure....

I have to find a new solution. I bench like 150 all day and am right under 300lbs. While rotating an Astro I ripped my bicep muscle into my armpit and had to have surgery end of last month.
I’m out of commission for the next few months and am not gonna pull monitors alone. The Astro and Blast monitors are over 100lbs and doctor said no more heavy lifting for six months at least.
This was a freak accident and was completely unexpected but it can happen to anyone. Not from pulling a monitor but because of the rotation of it. My left is dominate so it takes more for the recessive arm to lift and rotate.
Just be careful with rotating if your left handed. This whole experience has not been fun. I’m definitely going to the gym to start lifting again after rehab.
it would be nice to develop a system to pull these. I wish someone had handles so we could at least reproduce them. If anyone has the ones for the blast send them to me and I’ll reproduce them at a local machine shop. Every time I get a cab I pull the monitor and clean it out I have three on the way and two in storage just waiting on a better solution.

Electric hoist is the way, with plenty of mounting options.
I like the guy that did that rotating/sliding mount picture below.
Pretty cheap at harbor freight, this one can lift 880lbs more than enough I think.
https://www.harborfreight.com/880-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-62854.html

1629487091161.png
1629487117893.png
1629487213664.png

The issue will be with clearance/balancing when you lift the monitor out. You don't want it bouncing around, so you will probably need someone operating the remote while someone stabilizes the monitor to not bang into anything.

Last edited:
While rotating an Astro I ripped my bicep muscle into my armpit and had to have surgery end of last month.
Sounds rough—hope the rehab goes well for you. Feel better soon.

I’ve heard of people laying the entire cab on its “back” to rotate the monitor. Still a two-person job but seems easier on one’s body and less of a chance of damaging the tube.

A hoist seems ideal for those who have the space for it.

I was just looking at 1 ton cherry pickers to do the job. I still would like to find someone with handles. Maybe I can get something together with my local shop for actual handles.

Sounds rough—hope the rehab goes well for you. Feel better soon.

I’ve heard of people laying the entire cab on its “back” to rotate the monitor. Still a two-person job but seems easier on one’s body and less of a chance of damaging the tube.

A hoist seems ideal for those who have the space for it.
That’s what I do, put a Windy on its back and lifted out the monitor just a day ago. If doing on your own it’s the only way. I have done it with the following cabs, Neo29, Capcom Impress, Aero city and now a Windy.

The frameless monitors like the Impress need doing flat or you risk catching the neck and snapping it off.

Back