What's new
If I plan on saving money for a long-term investment into a cab. How much money would you suggest I put aside on a weekly basis? I was thinking about maybe doing that and just getting the necessities soon for 256 play like the DVD drive and such.
Save as much as you're willing to set aside, and in the mean time start doing research learning as much as you can about these cabinets so that you can form a personal opinion specifically about which cabinet you want. a good primer is here: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners_Guide_To_Candy_Cabs (keep in mind this is written from a UK perspective so prices aren't going to match up what they are in the USA).

Common CRT Candy Cabs are
Sega Astro City/New Astro City
Sega Blast City
Sega Net City/New Net City

There are lots of other CRT Candy cabs but they're hard to find so if you fall in love with one be prepared for a long hunt to find one.

Some common LCD Candy Cabs are:
Namco Noir
Taito Vewlix
Sega Lindbergh

They all have different benefits and pitfalls, look at pictures, find videos of Japanese arcades, research the different features and what people have to say about them and figure out what you like.

If you'd rather have an American style "upright" cab as opposed to a Japanese style Candy Cab, aka "woodies" (since they're made of wood)
popular options here are:
-Capcom "Big Blue"
-Midway Fighter (Mortal Kombat/Killer Instinct dedicated cabs)
-Dynamo HS-5

there are MANY other options here too, but those 3 are probably the most common/popular

American wooden uprights are much easier to find but they typically only have 25" monitors (as opposed to the 27" CRTs used in Candy Cabs), and they're a lot heavier, obviously taller and much less comfortable (IMO) to play especially for long gaming sessions.

save your money, do your research and don't buy until you figure out EXACTLY what you want, and you have enough money to buy it.

Last edited:
American wooden uprights are much easier to find but they typically only have 25" monitors (as opposed to the 27" CRTs used in Candy Cabs), and they're a lot heavier, obviously taller and much less comfortable (IMO) to play especially for long gaming sessions.

save your money, do your research and don't buy until you figure out EXACTLY what you want, and you have enough money to buy it.
Candy's have 29" CRT's even :)

And I agree with the last part, don't buy something you only buy cause you don't have the money for it right now. Save up and buy what you REALLY want. But well, doesn't that go for everything else in life as well?

I would recommend finding a WG trisync CRT then Lear about groovymame and set it up.. For monitor issues maybe following my principal.. I am not an electrician and with CRT issues post for a service on Craigslist.. A full recap is $100 in my local area and I pay it without hesitation.. If you like candy cab then move on and get one.. Research which one you like. People like the New Net City but I do not like that style cab so fine one that you like.. If candy is not your thing then a fighter Wood cab with a jpac does the trick and will cost you less than $500 for a ok looking one. I have say this on the past and I will say it again.. If I can do it all over again I would just grab two 19" computer CRT from Craigslist and an old computer, a cheap game pad and call it a day.. Will save you a lot of money.. Once you get into this arcade hobby thing money will be flaying out of your pockets.
http://westmd.craigslist.org/ele/5669963378.html

What do you guys think of that?

I was also thinking...why not get a Kraylix and just pay it off in payments since I'm not going to get it right away anyway? I get paid weekly. Because of that, I might be able to do weekly or bi-weekly payments over a period of time as long as I have patience. Just a thought I had.

I wish I could do the same for the games I want haha
for Jebus sake do not get a kraylix unless is fully setup trust me.. Here is a fun fact, KC will let you buy and hold an L for you, all that you need to put is $600 down.. I have a second L on order from him.. I have $600 and will pay the rest first week of August. If it is an LCD cab you want that is a much better option

KC will let you buy and hold an L for you, all that you need to put is $600 down
OH snap he will... Hmm maybe I should give him a call. :D

Seriously tho OP, New Net and Vewlix are expensive...
But they are also top of the line cabs in there respective areas (LCD and CRT) that you will love owning.

My problem is I'm seeing the flaws in lesser cabs to the point where I can't enjoy them.
Now you'll say I've become a snob, and that's completely TRUE!
How do you think I got this way? By owing said lesser cabs, and it will happen to YOU TOO. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Candy's have 29" CRT's even
that's not actually true.

Japan measures monitors from the mounting frame, while the USA (and most of the rest of the world) measures the visible area of the tube. What Japan calls a "29in" is actually only a 27in tube.

Maybe there are some odd-balls with a legit 29in tube, but if you're talking any of the common, Sega, Taito, Namco, SNK, etc. candies they're all advertised as having 29in monitors but are all actually only 27in.

if you've ever wondered why a "27in" Wells Gardner D9200 fits perfectly in place of a "29in" Nanao MS9... it's because they're the same size :) that's why.

I bought a Hantarex Truflat 29 and it fits like a glove in a Super Neo 29 cab.....
measure it... you'll find that it has a ~27in visible area. where it's a flat it might be a little closer to the 28in side since they sometimes eek out a little extra on those.

Last edited:
measure it... you'll find that it has a ~27in visible area. where it's a flat it might be a little closer to the 28in side since they sometimes eek out a little extra on those.
Sure, but this is a feature of every CRT, not just the japanese ones.. Hantarex is European..

I don't know any american tube producer, the few WG monitors I have seen have european tubes (Philips)

my Philips 21" CRT VGA monitor is definitely "smaller" than the Eizo S2133 that sits next to it.

Sure, but this is a feature of every CRT, not just the japanese ones.. Hantarex is European..
My point is that what people call a "27in" monitor is the same as what people call a "29in" monitor they're the same size it's just a difference in how the manufacturer has decided to specify the dimensions.

In the USA there is a law that states they MUST measure the monitor "size" by the visible display area so that manufacturer's can't exaggerate the size by measuring the frame and putting a large frame on it. AFAIK that law doesn't exists anywhere else so it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The result is that the Japanese candy cabs all list "29in" monitors as the size and people incorrectly assume that they're 2in larger than the "27in" monitors found in American arcade machines, when in-fact they're the same size, just measured differently.

Similarly what US manufacturers call "19in" and "25in" monitors are typically labeled as "20in" and "26in" in Japan.

Twisted is 100% correct, I mounted a Wells Gardner 27" USA tube to my 29" JPN Sega frame and installed it into the Blast City when its Nanao died.

It fit perfect, even the tube curve was almost perfect with the bezel.

In reality what JPN says is 29" in USA we call 27" and yes its totally tube vs viewable area.
Insert crude penis joke here, about JPN calming something measures larger then it actually is. :D

Interesting :)

But it's also strange because Sony BVM20 monitors are still sold as 20 inches isn't it?

(Must be very confusing to live in the USA) :)

Last edited:
(Must be very confusing to live in the USA)
I would argue in this respect its more accurate... You don't give a F about the monitor size, so much as you care about what it can show/display for you.

When you buy a LCD its a diagonal measurement, taken from the inside of the bezel/viewable area.
If this wasn't the case, I could sell you a LCD with a gigantic bezel...
Measure it from the outside edges of said bezel, and claim thats the size of the screen your buying.

You would be pissed when you actually received a 60" plastic box with a 22" LCD screen in it. ;)

Huge bezel don'ts 101 right here (among other serious problems)...
Garysupright.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What I mean, is that things start to get confusing when the "whole" world measures things in one way, and a single country decides to do it otherwise.

For me 28inches is like to say 28tomatoes, I don't even know what an inch is (ok, I know it but I'm an special case) :))) the most important is that the measure is consistent everywhere....

But ok, I learned something new :)

Back