What's new

toiawaseru

Student
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a recently acquired R-Type Leo M92 PCB set.

I was reviewing the boards and I noticed a residue around the C cluster near the JAMMA connector on the M92-A-B board.

My understanding is that these boards are prone to leaking capacitors. Is that the case here? I have enclosed photos for those more experienced to review and confirm.

The set was confirmed operating pre-shipment. I have yet to test out the boards myself as I am reluctant to power them up if that may cause damage and it is deemed better to replace the capacitors first. I am also assuming it is probably a good idea to clean the residue off the board now.

My gratitude to anyone willing to take a moment and advise on a best course of action moving forward.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20231109_063240.jpg
    20231109_063240.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20231109_063127.jpg
    20231109_063127.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231109_063110.jpg
    20231109_063110.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 40
@toiawaseru Remove residue asap and change that elna bombs right asap too.

Take for your board 105°C rated caps and follow the values of the ones you want to change . Rubycon , Nichicon or Panasonic are great . I used Panasonic (general purposes)
I changed them on Irem M92 & Irem M107 hardwares !

Check this video and the description (there's twitter post too beside the youtube ones) :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrSoT-YkB0

Hi.

Appreciate the replies and information.

So the first step will be cleaning off the residue. In the past I have used CRC QD Contact Cleaner when cleaning other computing devices such as computers and video game consoles. Since all of these devices use PCBs my first thought is that it would be appropriate as well or is there an alternative cleaning solution that is recommended?

Thanks again.

Hi.

Appreciate the replies and information.

So the first step will be cleaning off the residue. In the past I have used CRC QD Contact Cleaner when cleaning other computing devices such as computers and video game consoles. Since all of these devices use PCBs my first thought is that it would be appropriate as well or is there an alternative cleaning solution that is recommended?

Thanks again.
Doesnt matter ... you can clean it better after you take out the capacitors . but it's up to you how you feel there where you are in front of the pcb with all tools and stuff ! Honestly , should be easy to replace those caps and for the cleaning , you can use isopropyl alchool (i use on need 99% procent IPA) if you want

Cheers :happy:

Back