What's new

NFGx

Professional
Reaction score
I haven't had my New Astro City for long, only a few months. After getting fixing some cracks and getting the monitor rebuilt, I decided to thoroughly test it before finishing the external restoration/ And that's when I decided the best way to understand the internal wiring was to document it all (see my pinouts page and then tear out the entire wiring harness and start over.

As luck would have it, I had some NOS gear kicking around. A few 8-button panels, a couple of JAMMA harnesses (harnii?), sticks and buttons etc. and so I only needed a bunch of AMP UP connectors. And pins. And special pliers to crimp things with. And wire. And so on and on. ^__^

But the result so far is a flexible cab with a lot of options for playing around. Shown below, counter-clockwise from top left, is the stuff that comes out easily:
  • amp mono -> banana speaker terminals, so JAMMA boards can be piped into a speaker -> line-level adaptor, and then to the amp.
  • 10-pin AMP -> Capcom kick, for those extra buttons
  • a pair of AMP -> NeoGeo controller adaptors so I can throw in any of my Neo -> other console adaptors.
  • a power supply extension cable, just in case. Because I had leftover wiring.
  • stereo banana plugs, from the amp to the speakers. Plugs into the existing wiring to the control panel... panel. Mono or stereo is a very quick swap.
  • the amp, way more than enough to drive the speakers.
  • the JAMMA harness RGB output goes to an AMP 15-pin plug, which can be swapped out for a VGA input instead. Though this is gonna need a video amp...
  • the controls from the panel have an intermediate set of plugs near the JAMMA end, so the panel can feed into the Neo adaptors (or the Naomi) or I can plug something else into the JAMMA if needed.
Not shown:
  • The spare 100v output from the power supply, into the amp PSU, so they all fire up together.
  • the new power supply wiring, to JAMMA and the monitor (power and demag).
  • The extra power plug on the PSU, which now ends in the +5V and +12V connectors to power the JVS input board
  • the all-new wiring under the panel
Having all the appropriate AMP UP plugs makes a world of difference, compared to the last NAC I had back in the 90s which was all cut-n-solder.

Cables.jpg

I've been doing so much to the wiring of this cab that I had to make a diagram to keep it straight in my head. Also to plan the next set of adaptors. ^__^

Here's what it looks like so far:

Arcade-Wiring.png

Back