I laid the ISOs out previously and their directory mapping in regards to the pc version:Thanks for the welcome.welcome, btw
as I've noticed this game's data is like 10(sic!) ISO images located in game data ROMs.and ISOs in roms 1-5 and 9-12 contains mostly same file names (but 1st have ~50 more files), so I'd guess they are Japanese and English textures and/or data ?how do you switch eng/jap textures, did you find some byte-switch in game code or just replacing textures in game data ?First I wanted to point out that there is already some English in the naomi version alongside the Japanese, it just takes switching the images around within the texture to get the game to display it.
If I was able to debug the game properly I would have looked for where the game reads the image data from the texture files and redirected it to the English data but as I've said I couldn't get anything to work. So once I managed to decompress the files I just swapped the image data around in a hex editor (before I made the image program). Ive attached an example, original on the left, swapped around on the right.
The first 4 pictures in my first post are the only real examples of English that already existed in the NAOMI ver. Everything else has been taken from the PC ver. None of the texture files are the same between the versions, they have images for different parts of the game in them or are in a different order so I have had to open all of these files up and copy and paste the image data into the relevant files/locations, sometimes adjusting the image quality to get a better compressed file size.
The screenshots sammargh posted after switching the files are a good example of this. The files for the tutorial speech bubbles only contained English so were half the size which is why it displayed the wrong bubble first then just displayed garbage as it read beyond the file. Again for the chapter select screen, the file replacing the original had some extra stuff at the bottom of the image throwing everything off.
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words and the likes, I was worried this wouldn't be seen as any significant progress, I almost didn't post this.
The gotcha is that when you are working with these ISO images you need to run TRANS.TBL across the extracted files to see what they actually are. It's a file within the iso structure that allows a system to translate a ms-dos 8.3 format into long file.Edit: turns out I was being lazy. I pulled all 11 tracks from the rom image and laid them out and noticed overlapping. Split them into their own folders for each track and ran the TRANS.TBL against the files to get the long form names of them and now a lot more things match up with PC version. I'm able to identify the first track is the texture folder, 7th is cam, 8th is pol, 9th is mot, 10 is sound and 11 is the dictionary. The other ones seem like weird tiny patch-in fixes because it's just single files with not much in them.