What's new
Is anyone playing Typing of the Dead with 2 Dreamcast Keyboards via Maple Buss connector? I can only get player 2 working with a dreamcast keyboard and want to try to problem solve this. The Left side doesn't recognize the keyboard when plugged in, the right side works like a charm.

Hello, while I am aware that the forum is dedicated to physical cabinets, I ended up finding this thread in my search to netplay an english version of TotD on Fightcade. While the US Dreamcast version is available, for now it isn't possible to play with keyboards.

However, the NAOMI version works, and so I wish to use the modified file (which I was able to patch and test locally on flycast-dojo), but sadly the netplay expects the totd.zip file, not the netboot .bin one.

So here's my question: Can I somehow "revert" the .bin to the MAME .zip format? If is not something viable, how can I change (or if someone more knowledgeable can do this big favor) the patch file to apply on the needed files (as I assume applying on the .zip directly will have compression as an extra layer of complexity)?

Thanks in advance and sorry for bumping such an inactive thread.

Hello there everyone, i just received an original typing of the dead cab from japan, and even though it is a lot of fun as is, i would love to convert this to English. I have been following the threads , but maybe i am misunderstanding something, so i apologize if i missed anything, if anyone can please clarify this I would greatly appreciate it.
In the thread I saw this post
https://www.arcade-projects.com/thr...ping-of-the-dead-arcade.106/page-8#post-69508
and it says the patch is for an English version, but from what i have read this is still not close to complete as textures and text bubbles such as instructions, etc were not working properly and the file was posted back in 2018, if you continue to fast forward to page 11 user Maramilitia speaks about a more completed version with proper textures around the speech bubbles, which i believe the older version was lacking. However I cannot find out where to download that newer bin file in order to try it with our netdimm. I also read other people trying to convert it to a Dvorak keyboard setup, but since i am using the original keyboards that came with the game, i wont be needing any of the Dvorak conversions,etc. If anyone can please point out where to download this newer .bin file. with the correct text bubble textures i would greatly appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
I don't think @maramilitia ever released anything.

I was thinking of setting up a Dreamcast in mine. I haven't actually tried it. I'm not sure if there's an issue with the Japanese keyboards.

I was thinking of setting up a Dreamcast in mine. I haven't actually tried it. I'm not sure if there's an issue with the Japanese keyboards.

Japanese keyboards on an English DC copy of the game? Works fine. I have two Japanese keyboards and played both JP and EN with a friend and had no issues.

I don't think @maramilitia ever released anything.

I ran a DC in my cab for this game for a while. the USA version works fine with the JP keyboards.

biggest issue with a DC is are just console things. no way to turn off attract mode sounds, continues are capped at 5 or so, there are menus to navigate, settings are exposed to the players, and if someone leaves it on a menu it's going to sit there and never time out, burning the image into your monitor,

all perfectly fine if you're just playing yourself but problematic in a party setting or other public/semi-public situation.

Back