What's new
Can I select games in the multi menu using a keyboard?

I want to use MAME with my net city JVS cab and Bishi Bashi panel. Obviously the Bishi Bashi panel has no directional buttons, so I need some way to select the game.

Also do I have to use a PS/2 keyboard for MAME to see it, or will a USB keyboard work?

Last edited:
I made an extra multi drive that only had MAME on it, so I can use my bishi bashi panel to launch MAME :D

Super bishi bashi champ runs pretty well. Minor graphic issues on one mini-game but totally playable.

I still need to know though, will a PS/2 Keyboard let me work the MAME menu?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly. Do you mean if a PS/2 keyboard will work to select games in Niko's multi menu, or the atrfate MAME front end?

Well, I don't have my PS/2 keyboard with me, atm. Sorry about that. When I do, I can give the Niko menu a shot, unless someone beats me to it.

@JoeAwesome did me a solid and tested out a PS/2 Keyboard in the Niko Menu, and you can indeed navigate it.

It also seems MAME recognizes the keyboard.

This helps me out a bunch with panels like Bishi Bashi, where I can play some MAME games with them, but not navigate menus. Previously I just had an X2 HDD prepared with only mame, and only the ROM I wanted to select. This way I didn't need any way to navigate the menu, just button 1.

I've got a PS/2 keyboard on the way. Thanks again Joe.

Thank you @Dreygor and @Sjlewis78 :)

I've been playing with this a bit a it works like a charm. Latests Cave games run full "MAME" speed except Daifukkatsu and Mushihimesama. Maybe a better CPU (X6800) and faster RAM (800 Mhz) get full speed.

The link in the first page uses MAME v.200 (which at the time was the newest). Anyone knows what do we have to do to update it to MAME v.226?

Last edited:
does anybody have a disc image, of this with working roms just cps2 cave would do me, no matter what i try and what roms i get it always get there is something missing , frustrating the crap out of me now

I've been playing with this a bit a it works like a charm. Latests Cave games run full "MAME" speed except Daifukkatsu and Mushihimesama. Maybe a better CPU (X6800) and faster RAM (800 Mhz) get full speed.

The link in the first page uses MAME v.200 (which at the time was the newest). Anyone knows what do we have to do to update it to MAME v.226?
I tried Death Smiles and it’s horrendous.
Big issues with sound and frame rate compared to the PCB or a proper PC setup I run in another cab.

Is there any way to quit MAME and get back to the multi besides resetting the TypeX? Like a key combination?

I tried Death Smiles and it’s horrendous.Big issues with sound and frame rate compared to the PCB or a proper PC setup I run in another cab.

Is there any way to quit MAME and get back to the multi besides resetting the TypeX? Like a key combination?
Which specs are your TX2? If I remember correctly mine runs DS full mame speed.

To quit MAME, just press start + B1.

Mine is model 211A with the following specs :

CPU : P4 3.4Ghz
GRA : GF7900GS
MEM: 512MB (I upgraded to 4GB)

i think it used to be a a Panic Museum or Elevator Action.

if I’m not mistaking “start+B1” returns to the MAME game list, but not to the multi (I setup my folders to have all games in a single folder)

if I’m not mistaking “start+B1” returns to the MAME game list, but not to the multi (I setup my folders to have all games in a single folder)
Mine has exactly same specs. I just updated from stock 1GB to 4GB 800Mhz. I am waiting for an X6800 to arrive.

If you are using mame from the first post, the games that one launches from the mame menu run on mame 180. The games that one launches as an independent game from the multi run on mame 200. I launch games as independent games (mame 200) and start + B1 goes back to the multi list (not the mame list). Furthermore, if I recall correctly DS runs full mame speed.

Mine has exactly same specs. I just updated from stock 1GB to 4GB 800Mhz. I am waiting for an X6800 to arrive.
If you are using mame from the first post, the games that one launches from the mame menu run on mame 180. The games that one launches as an independent game from the multi run on mame 200. I launch games as independent games (mame 200) and start + B1 goes back to the multi list (not the mame list). Furthermore, if I recall correctly DS runs full mame speed.
All right, I tried with the "one game per folder" config and mame 200.
You're right, the games runs much smoother.

I also tried editing the "game.au3" file to make it look for "mame200.exe""instead of "mame182di.exe", not sure if I was correct doing this.
Nonetheless, the games still ran like crap, so I guess I'll stick to the "one game per folder" structure for now.

It is a bit strange that there is a mix of versions in the release of the first page. I do not think people are aware of that, but there is a significant difference.

Last edited:
HI
I can't play to killer instinct 1 and 2 on mame taito type x2 multi because i can't add coins and can't change in feeplay mode. Do you play succesfully with these 2 games please ?

HI
I can't play to killer instinct 1 and 2 on mame taito type x2 multi because i can't add coins and can't change in feeplay mode. Do you play succesfully with these 2 games ple
How about "Start +B2" to bring the Tab menu and remap from there?

Also, did anyone found a proper scanlines settings ?
I tried with the old method with the .png files, works when I connect the multi HD on my PC, but not on the TypeX.
I tried with hlsl, looks great on PC, doesn't work on TypeX.

How's the PGM performance on your side ? I found Demon Front runs slow.

How's the PGM performance on your side ? I found Demon Front runs slow.
I tried Demon Front today. Ir runs 100% mame speed, but my TX2 has Mame 200, X6800 CPU, and 800Mhz RAM.

Edit: I made latest mame run. It turns out you need a specific compilation for Windows XP.

Mame 226 + X6800 CPU + 800Mhz RAM = you can play latest cave games full mame speed.

Last edited:
I've recently set this up on one of my TTX2 because I'm installing a Vewlix at my office and wanted a decent "multi" setup with a mix of games for people to chose from.

I have some questions that maybe someone can help me with

1. Does anyone have a more recent compile of MAME for the TTX2 that they can share. .. the v181 in the first post is pretty ancient at this point.

2. Also it seems that player 2's button 5 and 6 aren't mapped properly but I'm unsure which keys they SHOULD be mapped to for use with JVS

3. What's a good source for Game Art for the menu? I've been just googling for flyers, posters, or side art scans but it's a real chore to find, clean up and prep all that. I'm sure there's got to be some art pack for a front end system out there with similarly sized art that I could snag.

4. Suggestions for video output settings to reduce tearing/frame skips on a Vewlix LCD?

Re: number 2, you couldn’t map 5 and 6 using a PS/2 keyboard? I remember having to do that with SFTM on MAME.

Re: number 2, you couldn’t map 5 and 6 using a PS/2 keyboard? I remember having to do that with SFTM on MAME.
I don't have a PS2 keyboard. I can map them manually via config file but I just need to know which keyboard keys they need to be mapped to in order to use them on TTX2 via JVS

Back