What's new
Where I can help it, I don't play old games on HDMI so can't comment on that world.

Been playing on the PVMs / Supergun a lot more lately, so just your standard IO board outputting to RGB. And just a HAS supergun doing the same.

Both Supergun/MiSTer using Tim Worthington adapters going into the SCART switch.

According to @invzim you get much better colors/depth from HDMI to VGA dongle on the MiSTer than with regular IO board: https://irkenlabs.com/jvs-pac2/mister-for-jvs-crt-cabinets

Might be worth a shot to see how it affects your experience!

Thanks @kuze. Assuming you mean I can go from the HDMI port to 15KHz on my PVM? If so, I'll find that adapter and report back.

Hate to sound like a broken record but the slowdown, audio, etc issues...have they been reported to the core devs? They're the ones who need to see this and hopefully get a fix into future revisions.

His account is private, but can't see the harm in sharing this.

unknown.png

I think we're muddying the waters a bit discussing the Raizing/Toaplan core overmuch as representative of anything, it's a beta still, and the dev is not claiming it's arcade perfect. Just a very cool accomplishment that will hopefully keep improving.

Play it, wait for it to get better, never play it, be lucky enough to own the PCB, whatever makes you happy.

In the meantime I hope we get a CPS3 core eventually, because those boards feel like ticking time bombs. Be sure we'll be testing the shit out of the accuracy of that.

I guess naming them release candidates gives a bit of false hope. When they are apparently seen as betas by everyone.

My friend just got hos mister setup with the Antonio Villenas (or how his name was) memory module and he is stating it lags so much it’s unplayable :x For batrider that is. So hoping it will end up stable for all versions of the memory modules.

Edit: he is by the way complaining on both audio and gameplay on donpachi too comparing to his board. I thought this was regarded as one of the more accurate?

FWIW as much as I am an original hardware slut, I just can’t justify paying nearly $2000 for a single PCB. That’s nuts.
I’ve had a great time playing Garegga on the Saturn port, and that was my go-to. Whether that is cycle to cycle perfect, I don’t know, but it plays great. But having it on the mister makes it a lot more convenient because the setup to connect to my cabs is a lot simpler than console hook-ups. I have no doubt that this beta will be improved upon, given the fact that Battle Garegga is constantly regarded as the top shmup.

Time, like fear, is the mind killer to those who have the thirst. We just gotta wait a bit, I’m confident this core is going to vastly improve. But like Aurich said, it’s too early for this core to consider it a truthful representation of the MiSTer status quo.

Edit: he is by the way complaining on both audio and gameplay on donpachi too comparing to his board. I thought this was regarded as one of the more accurate?
Nothing nullobject has put out should be regarded as accurate.

Mess with the Neo or CPS1/2 cores, those are widely regarded as accurate. And the Neo core with larger games like Garou uses the larger memory and should be a decent test to see if the memory is the issue.

I guess naming them release candidates gives a bit of false hope. When they are apparently seen as betas by everyone.
He seems to have called some betas and some release candidates. All semantics I guess, they're feature complete and playable and might have major bugs still too. Either label could apply I suppose. Anyways, my only point being that the dev himself hasn't oversold them, so I would treat them as something neat to explore right now and not put too much weight on them yet.

he is by the way complaining on both audio and gameplay on donpachi too comparing to his board. I thought this was regarded as one of the more accurate?
Donpachi was only just recently released. I've not heard anyone call it the more accurate, but I dunno. The Cave core in general definitely has at least some minor issues as far as I'm aware from talking to more hardcore shmup players than myself. (To be fair, the issues they've mentioned seem to be pretty minor, more telltale signs like how a sprite flickers, than serious gameplay differences.) Again, not one I'd hold up as the best example. Very cool! And glad the dev has become active again. And he seems to keep improving things.

My take is Mister is neat, and has a bright future, and is very much an early adopter thing still. That we can use the CPS2 core as a viable tournament solution vs superguns and PCBs is really nice though, and I think great evidence for the potential in the active retro community. Much less gear to lug around.

FWIW as much as I am an original hardware slut, I just can’t justify paying nearly $2000 for a single PCB. That’s nuts.
Same. If you have the free cash, or, were lucky enough to buy when they were cheaper, great. I'm very much appreciative of more access for more people to good experiences. Anyone trying to come into this hobby now is in for a rude awakening on the cost front.

Mess with the Neo or CPS1/2 cores, those are widely regarded as accurate. And the Neo core with larger games like Garou uses the larger memory and should be a decent test to see if the memory is the issue.

Donpachi was only just recently released. I've not heard anyone call it the more accurate, but I dunno. The Cave core in general definitely has at least some minor issues as far as I'm aware from talking to more hardcore shmup players than myself. (To be fair, the issues they've mentioned seem to be pretty minor, more telltale signs like how a sprite flickers, than serious gameplay differences.) Again, not one I'd hold up as the best example. Very cool! And glad the dev has become active again. And he seems to keep improving things.

It might be me that was under the wrong impresson, but I thought null0bject was seen in the same regards as jotego in terms of work but that might just be my misunderstanding. But yes glad to see these cores seeing development again regardless :) And I guess we are in too much of a hurry vs the state of things :)

It might be me that was under the wrong impresson, but I thought null0bject was seen in the same regards as jotego in terms of work but that might just be my misunderstanding.
Unfortunately he's just highly hyped because "Cave". His work is definitely not the same quality. Hopefully in time he will get there.

It might be me that was under the wrong impresson, but I thought null0bject was seen in the same regards as jotego in terms of work but that might just be my misunderstanding.
Yeah, no, not the same at all.

And I don't say that as a diss to him, or not appreciate his work. I've been a Patreon this whole time, even when he went silent.

But he's programming this in an odd language and (someone correct me if I'm misstating, going from memory) started the whole thing from someone' else master's thesis project or something along those lines. It's not a model for how to do things really. But he's made it work, and I think every time he expands the core he's found things that make the earlier ones better.

Jotego has a really clear process, he's been great about documenting it, and even contributes obscure bug fixes back to the MAME project. Because at the end of the day everyone has the same goal, to preserve these gams.

started the whole thing from someone' else master's thesis project or something along those lines.
100% correct. And the sync was wrong for.... a year plus? Not sure if he ever got a DDP board to work off of, I know he got some of the others eventually.

I did put some time into CPS2 and Neo Geo with some friends over the weekend and found that I don't have the previous issues with CPS2 anymore from an evening of VSAV and Hyper Street Fighter 2 Anniversary.

However, for Neo Geo there were some issues with speed. When playing Garou MotW, there would be much less slowdown compared to real hardware, and it happened often enough that it would noticeably change timing requirements to perform specials and combos (had to input faster vs real hardware). Maybe I need to update the MiSTer again or I have some settings wrong, but if the Neo Geo core is regarded as accurate, my (somewhat limited) experience has been different.

The Neo Geo core has flaws as well - especially with audio. Anytime you encounter something “off” in a MiSTer core, check the GitHub for the reported issues and see if the issue you’ve encountered has been reported already. If it hasn’t, and you can reproduce it, please report it.

Take a look at the current reported issues on the Neo Geo core:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/issues

Of interest in terms of clock speeds and slowdown:

90FFE683-51C9-4DE0-B86F-B4773999D554.jpeg

Hrm....now I just need to hit this Mega Millions, set up a permanent Jotego team fund, and then request Raiden II/DX, Seibu SP1, and then Namco Sys1.....I think after those, I'd be content.

Back